xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

The Great Processor Debate Its amazing no one did this...

The Great Processor Debate  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

oh..

Its too expensive for me.

But are these adapters absolutely necessary for every pc. I mean aren't there any motherboards that provide SAS connectivity without the need of such adapters. I am guessing that these boards would be expensive too but they should have other great features as well...

oh..

Its too expensive for me.

But are these adapters absolutely necessary for every pc. I mean aren't there any motherboards that provide SAS connectivity without the need of such adapters. I am guessing that these boards would be expensive too but they should have other great features as well...

Server-class systems have native SAS adaptors on system board. Unfortunately, these systems are also rather expensive for personal use, let's say 2000$ to 3000$, which is far above any family budget :D

hmmm...

So its better to stick with technology that is meant for personal use and that is in a price range suitable for personal use...

hmmm...

So its better to stick with technology that is meant for personal use and that is in a price range suitable for personal use...

By the way, instead of SAS disks, you could try SSD disks. The work with standard adapters. Unfortunately, they are about 10 times more expensive than standard disks.

Is the performance worth the price?

I mean how much difference it is going to make if I just replace the hard drive of my current laptop with an SSD. I have read in many places that SSDs are significantly faster and considerably reduce the loading times of various software.

How much truth there is in this....???

How much truth there is in this....???

OK, you have to read real numbers, and see what really "significantly faster" means.

Loading a huge Excel spreadsheet in, say, two seconds instead of four seconds is twice faster. It's a real improvement.

And of course for personal use, I prefer wait two seconds more, and buy ten disks (two years per disk) for the same price :D

For commercial use it's completely different. If you are selling things online, showing your article in one second instead of three seconds can make the difference, a customer in a hurry will buy from websites displaying faster than from slow websites.

However, the total transaction time has to be taken into account in that case, and the server has to analyzed in order to see where time is lost, writing disks or calculating things. If most of transaction time is cpu time, faster disks will improve nothing.

You can have an idea on your PC, if it's a linux one. While you are working, in a command line window, type "sar 3 12", and have a look at the display. If the system is idle 80%, nothing can be improved. If your system is mostly using processor time ("system" and "user"), a faster cpu will give an improvement. And if the result is mainly "wio", adding disks will be the best thing. However, adding more conventional disks on more controllers will probably give better results than changing a single disk to a faster one.

WOW,,,

That's some explanation @yordan... Hats off to you..

You have made me change my mind. Now I think that I should stick to what I have and not spend money until I really really need to... For instance, I would think about buying an SSD only if my current HDD fails and I absolutely have to buy a storage device.