xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
laniczech

Computer Freezing Problem solutions to pc freezing

I recently built a new computer and after swapping every thing to a nicer case, now i have problems with it freezingIve tried everything i can think of, i will soon be swapping the graphics card to try to remedy the problem, but any tips or suggestions would help msi k9a2 platinum mobo 1gig kingston ddr2 in dual channel mode radeon x300es 128mb video 250 gig sata hdd 20 gig maxor ide hd ratlink wireless card win tv tuner card onboard realtek hd audio 1.8 gig AMD sempron am2 64 550watt PS, 20pin, mobo is a 24pin, my other powersupply is only 350watt and is a 24 pin, but ive noticed no difference in the two

Edited by laniczech (see edit history)

1) Which Operating System ?2) Could you, before the freezing (so, just after the boot) start and alt-ctrl-del (tesk manager), performances, and start watching the cpu and memory usage ?During the freeze, the cpu usage should be visible as an icon on the bottom right of your screen (if it's windows, of course, else you should start "sar 3 51200).

it froze with... Vista 64 Vista 32 XP Pro 64 XP Pro SP3 Server 2003 2000 Pro two different power supplies single and dual channel memory config two different hddRunning mandriva 2009 now but cant enable 3D supportmobo and ram are new, every thing else is used

You need to install the ATI fglrx (Catalyst Drivers) for Linux on ATi's website.You also need an upgrade, your system looks like it needs an upgrade, especially in the graphics side. If you're planning to do some gaming (which this was posted in the gaming section before I moved it), you NEED at LEAST an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (or an overclocked 4200+ which I have, my 4200+ runs at 2.78 GHz =D) or better and an ATi Radeon HD 3650 or better.It can be the case that your parts are a mix of both old and new that may trigger problems with the system. Make sure that you're not running too many operating systems on your system, it may lead to the system choking for more disc space.Also, make sure that you're using ONE power supply at a time. Your system might be choking on the 350W, try to only use your 550W.xboxrulz

You may have tried this but, to narrow the casue I would suggest removing all but the most necessary hardware. then start the machine to see if it locks up. If not add 1 piece of hardware until it does and that piece will Most Likely be the culprit. I do not see a CD-ROM listed in the hardware specs. If there is one I would be curious to know if it has the same issue when started with a live CD like Knoppix.

Darasen has a good tactic to pin point the problem. Here is my guess. I would say probably the cause of your freezing is your CPU heatsink. After striping your system and left with only the bare essentials and the system still freezes, check the CPU heatsink and CPU fan. If you did no apply the thermo grease properly wipe it clean and start again. The trick is to use just enough to make a firm contact between the CPU die and the heatsink. Secondly, check to see if your CPU fan is enough to cool your CPU speed. After all set and done, double check on CPU core voltage setting either on the mother board or in BIOS. Make sure it's set to your CPU speed. And do not overclock your CPU just yet. Make sure everything is running and then overclock--the same advice Darasen gave (plug one at a time to pin point the cause of freezing).

Try using other hard drives or IDE cable first, it might be faulty. you can also try to clean the teeth of your video card with an eraser. it is also possible that your processor is faulty. if you ever touch the chips of your ram, it may get some static charges which may also one problem. also, there are some case that your MSI K9A2 mobo is bought back to suppliers cause of problem.

Darasen has a good tactic to pin point the problem.
Here is my guess. I would say probably the cause of your freezing is your CPU heatsink. After striping your system and left with only the bare essentials and the system still freezes, check the CPU heatsink and CPU fan. If you did no apply the thermo grease properly wipe it clean and start again. The trick is to use just enough to make a firm contact between the CPU die and the heatsink. Secondly, check to see if your CPU fan is enough to cool your CPU speed.

After all set and done, double check on CPU core voltage setting either on the mother board or in BIOS. Make sure it's set to your CPU speed. And do not overclock your CPU just yet. Make sure everything is running and then overclock--the same advice Darasen gave (plug one at a time to pin point the cause of freezing).

I completely forgot about that one ... it is very important to make sure that thermal grease was applied properly. Then again, if you didn't, you're running a HIGH risk of burning your CPU. However, try Darasen's approach too.

xboxrulz

I completely forgot about that one ... it is very important to make sure that thermal grease was applied properly. Then again, if you didn't, you're running a HIGH risk of burning your CPU. However, try Darasen's approach too.
xboxrulz

The last cpu that could burn was the AMD AthlonXP 3200+, since AMD introduced the AMD64 it also integrated a thermal protection, once it hits a cetrain temp (around 110°c) it shuts down the whole system. However, overheating it still a possible cause of the system freezes (the CPUs aren't designed to run stable at +100°c :rolleyes: ), so try monitoring the temp (if you still use linux, install tempsens and add the temperature monitor to your panel, in windows you could install something like speedfan).

If the temps are normal, do as darasen told you, try narrowing down the components thus narrowing down the amount of possible causes. Also worth trying is memtest86, run test 5 (if I remember correctly, test 5 is usualy the one that stresses your ram the most) for an hour and see if it generates errors.