xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert1405241469

Penumbra: Requiem Review

Well, I have played most of Penumbra Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and I just downloaded and completed the most recent and final addition to the series, Penumbra: Requiem.Here's what I think:Basically, the game continues right where the last one left off, just as Black Plague did for Overture. Now, anyone that's played the first two know that the game is mostly based on logic and physics puzzles, sort of like sections of Half Life and Half Life 2, but the difference here is that you get no weapons.In Overture, most of the puzzles and progression involved hunting for items to build stuff or whatnot to continue (getting nitro glycerine and wicks and things for dynamite to blow open a cave in, etc). Overture had a basic plot, ie. a "reason" you were in the situation you were in, but had a crappy ending, and left a lot of questions. Overture took place mostly in mine shafts and underground areas, which, to me, got pretty boring after awhile.Black Plague took place in dilapidated medical and work offices, and had a much cooler atmosphere in my opinion. Plus instead of random dogs hanging out in the mines, you had to worry about "Infected" humans who would try to kill you. There were some very interesting twists and overall, I'd say Black Plague is the best in the series.With Requiem, though, they totally went off on a tangent. Instead of using the same formula of trying to escape the area and be rescued... the whole game is set up as a weird series of disjointed levels that have no relevance to each other. As someone else said, it's Portal without the Portal gun. You have to figure out logic and physics puzzles to find these orbs that unlock, literally, a portal to move to the next level. After 10 levels, you get the ending, and ...that's it.It took some people 2 hours to beat, it took me 4 because I was trying to find all the statues, and missed 1 so I might go back and try again.There are no monsters, only random noises meant to scare you and keep you on your edge, but there's no time limit for anything, so you can do whatever it takes to get a puzzle set without worrying about timing your work to a monster's patrol route.Well so you lost a bit of the scare factor and story because really there's nothing "new" added to the story. There is narration about some guy named Doctor Eminis who is infected and slowly goes crazy, but other than that, it's mostly just meant to be puzzles. If you like puzzle adventures, this game makes you think. I got through it all without looking at a walkthrough at all, so even though the puzzles can be obscure, you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out what they want you to do. I purchased Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, and I found out quick that I can't play it without a walkthrough because the puzzles are so convoluted and particular in how you do them. I mean with Penumbra, stuff makes logical sense and is relatively easy to figure out. As far as puzzle games go, Requiem is a nice game. Unfortunately, that's about all it's good for. Unless you are trying to find all the statues, there is no reason for replay, which is why I'm glad it didn't cost a lot (it's an add-on expansion to Black Plague, so you need Black Plague to play it).Overall I would say buy this game if you liked Black Plague and enjoy puzzle games. Most Penumbra fans are disappointed, though.

I never played Penumbra, but after I read your topic and browsed google a bit and found some screenshots and videos of this game, I got quite interested, I played a lot of adventure games, I think I'll try it, but I doubt I would ever have time to finish it.

Penumbra

Penumbra: Requiem

Quatrux if you are a fan of horror games and like good puzzle games... I mean puzzle games with logic puzzles not the impossible ones you may remember from older adventure games. Penumbra Black Plague but also Overture is as good as it gets. I won�t spoil anything of course but there was one moment in Black Plague where I was truly paralyzed and shivering in fear... I haven�t cried in 10 years now I think and definiatly not for a damn computer game ;) There was certainly more tense moments too for sure until I got hardened even further. I thought I could take everything after running shalebridge cradle in Thief 3 and AVP lol

I was quite disappointed what I read about Requiem but well this game has novint Falcon support (which really makes it some if not the most immersive game I have ever played). Even if it�s only pussle based I know I can have fun with it. One part of me is relieved actually not having to relive the horrible memories to much lol. Though 4 hours if you take it slow isn�t that much... Black Plague and Overture aren�t really long games either so you sure have time to finish it. And as mentioned don�t worry about being stuck with a pussle for hours. I think most can without to much problems finish these games without a walkthrough.

-reply by P�are �qvist

Of all the games, I'd probably most recommend Black Plague, the second of the three. It should only take you maybe 5 or so hours to beat. And for $9, that's about right ;)It's got the horror theme down, while it has realistic "adventuristic" type puzzles about it. Best of the three I'd say. The first one you're avoiding dogs and basically hacking stuff with a pick ax, while the second, black plague, gives you more of a story plot, and overall more memorable moments.

I'm sorry, but your review doesn't only miss the mark -- it's not even in the right timezone.Requiem is a sore disappointment in exactly the same way that it would be if, say, a new Mortal Kombat title with trailers depicting the fights we have come to expect were really a Kirby's Dreamland clone with fight cutscenes. By the time the player reaches Requiem, they expect something established by the franchise thus far. Overture has the feel of an adventure, and Black Plague builds on that design to do a great job evoking a sense of dread and exciting moments of tense hide and seek (not to mention a few startles). Overture is an adventure game trying to be horror, and Black Plague is a quality horror adventure.Considering the improvement between the previous two titles, I was prepared for an adventure story that scares the crap out of me with Requiem. Instead, what I got was Portal trying to be Half Life.Requiem shouldn't even be part of the Penumbra series. It does not continue the game play of the franchise, it does not stay true to the setting, and it does nothing to advance the story. Requiem is an entirely different game, and the developers only called it Penumbra to guarantee that it sells.I feel like the victim of a bait and switch scam. I was sold an awesome adventure horror that turned out to be a platform puzzle.