xisto Community
Amaralin

Matte Or Glossy? The Screen Battle

I personally loathe glossy screened computers. I much prefer the original, matte screen which is, unfortunately, dying. I know people like the higher contrast but poor viewing angles, varying levels of glare (depending on computer), and inconsistency of colors (a killer for CG artists) are enough to keep me far, far away.

So what do you guys usually do on your computer and thus, which do you prefer?

I prefer matte screen, less glare, less strainous eyes. I spend more than 12hours a day on my computer screen. So a matte screen keeps me staying focus all day long. My latest addition is the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. Matte 22" :mellow:

I have a Samsung 2493HM 24-inch monitor with a matte LCD panel. It doesn't reflect light coming from outside, and displays images and text with high contrast without blurring. This may be due to the monitor's 1000:1 contrast ratio (Dynamic Contrast 10,000:1). I originally thought my monitor was glossy until I checked the specifications, although I think there is plastic or glass covering the LCD panel.

I too prefer the matte finish on flatscreens, but unfortunately they are very hard to find, especialy on laptops. I'm realy glad that Dell still offers non-glossy displays for their consumer laptops (business laptops usualy have non-glossy displays, but they are generaly more expensive and don't offer the gimmicks that consumer laptops have). The only downside these matte displays have is that the colours are less saturated than a glossy screen.

I prefer matte screens as well for laptop and desktop LCD screen because it takes a lot less cleaning and it's not glaring. Like I clean my desktop screen which is matte every 3 months and clean my laptop screen every 2 weeks, like wtf? My old laptop's matted screen can last 2 months without cleaning!xboxrulz

I think it depends on the time of day. I'm usually on the PC at night so there is no glare issues there. GLOSSY is cool. I believe some companies can add a film to any screen (for $50.00 USD) to make a screen clear/glossy.

I think it depends on the time of day. I'm usually on the PC at night so there is no glare issues there. GLOSSY is cool. I believe some companies can add a film to any screen (for $50.00 USD) to make a screen clear/glossy.

But that would be a permanent solution, not ? I just can't imagine that someone who've bought a laptop with a non glossy screen is going to add a film to make it glossy. No way that I'm going to make my screen glossy, the colours are maybe less saturated, but at least I can see something on my screen even when I have the brightness at minimum

lol, i too don't want to make my LCD screen glossy (minus my laptop's LCD which is already glossy, unfortunately). Like if there's direct sunlight shining on both screens, I can only see my desktop's LCD screen. Plus, there's no glaring on matted screen, that's another reason why I like matted screen. I could care less about vibrant colours as long as it doesn't require me to clean it often and that I can use it almost everywhere.xboxrulz

lol, i too don't want to make my LCD screen glossy (minus my laptop's LCD which is already glossy, unfortunately). Like if there's direct sunlight shining on both screens, I can only see my desktop's LCD screen. Plus, there's no glaring on matted screen, that's another reason why I like matted screen. I could care less about vibrant colours as long as it doesn't require me to clean it often and that I can use it almost everywhere.
xboxrulz

What dirt does your glossy screen collect that you have to clean it that often ? My laptop screen only collects dust and that's easy to clean :D . If fingerprints are the problem then not touching your screen is the solution :o (I NEVER touch my laptop screen, I hate it when fingerprints, grease or other kinds of dirt are on it ... I keep focusing on the dirty spots which makes it a bit hard to work :mellow: )

I would have to agree. The nice shiny glossy screens are a good draw when you are walking through a tech store and see rediculous vibrant screens pumping out images. But the lack of 'real' lighting in these stores gives them an unfair look as has been pointed out. I would agree that personally whatever works best in the msot conditions with the least amount of upkeep would be the primary choice. But alas the mass consumer is usually the one to choose which style prevails, Not us true techies :mellow:

If you really think about it depends on your environment, how you screens look. Sure all stores have expensive halogens or some other type of play with lights around showcase electronics. It's all about setting the mood and presentation of the goods. Yeah, just think about it, your screen may look different at home or in your office. Off the topic 'Then again you can always change the lights in your room or office.' :mellow:

If you really think about it depends on your environment, how you screens look. Sure all stores have expensive halogens or some other type of play with lights around showcase electronics. It's all about setting the mood and presentation of the goods. Yeah, just think about it, your screen may look different at home or in your office. Off the topic 'Then again you can always change the lights in your room or office.' :mellow:

Yeah ... like they are going to like it that I start changing the lights at school :D . Honestly, if you've just spend 1250 euros on a laptop then you expect it to descently work without you rebuilding and reshaping your office.

What dirt does your glossy screen collect that you have to clean it that often ? My laptop screen only collects dust and that's easy to clean :D . If fingerprints are the problem then not touching your screen is the solution :o (I NEVER touch my laptop screen, I hate it when fingerprints, grease or other kinds of dirt are on it ... I keep focusing on the dirty spots which makes it a bit hard to work :mellow: )

Well, my laptop is used in a school environment, now to university, I hope there will be less cleaning. However, in a school setting, you get the one or two odd idiots who loves to poke your laptop screen. Also, I've notice that if I don't clean my screen after 2 weeks, it's either very dusty or the keyboard leaves marks on the screen when the lid closes.

xboxrulz

It's a good point that if you touch a screen there will be fingerprints. Sure sometimes, as mentioned with kids being immature, it is sometimes not avoidable. I can see assuming screen contact will be limited but at the same time they should be developing materials to limit dirt buildup on screens. Touchscreen tech is hitting its stride and we'll need lots of screens that are allowed to be fondled :mellow:

Actually, I was playing with HP's new Touchsmart PCs and I was surprised that even though the screen is a touchscreen screen, it's very hard to leave fingerprint marks everywhere. I was actually quite happy. That, or the fact the store added a coating I didn't realize xD.xboxrulz