xisto Community

I'll look into OpenSUSE as it looks quite friendly. The the only problem is... my CDRW isn't working too well!!! I have Nero 8 as well as a couple of other ISO burners but my drive just fails every time. The problem is to do with the drivers for my drive. If it's worth it (and you're up to the challenge) I'll post more about it on another section. Shame as I'd be up for giving it a go.

Maybe you should just replace your CDRW, they aren't that expensive anymore. A good LG DVDRW is $30 compared to back then when DVDRWs were much more expensive. I say that the learning experience that you get from using Linux and actually have the will to learn is greater than any operating systems I've ever used, including FreeBSD, which I'm learning right now.xboxrulz

I'll look into OpenSUSE as it looks quite friendly. The the only problem is... my CDRW isn't working too well!!! I have Nero 8 as well as a couple of other ISO burners but my drive just fails every time. The problem is to do with the drivers for my drive. If it's worth it (and you're up to the challenge) I'll post more about it on another section. Shame as I'd be up for giving it a go.

Have you tried updating your CDRW's firmware?
Simplest way I know:
Open up imgBurn
Choose "Write files/folders to disc" this will allow you to enter the drive options
Then goto Tools->Drive->Check for Firmware Updates
It will tell you your current firmware version save it in notepad or write it down on a piece of paper
Click cancel(you click ok, it doesn't do a proper search)
Then go back to tools->drive and goto Regional Code->Information this will tell you your drive make/model/and a bunch of other stuff)
goto http://www.rpc1.org/
on the left hand side you will see a search box
search for your drive and it should come up with a list of supported firmware and usually the latest version as well..
download and flash

DISCLAIMER: yada yada risk bricking drive yada yada I am Xisto is not responsible in the event of bricking so flash at own risk yada yada (tho i have done this my self and it is pretty painless)

I've tried that flash page but was unable to find the right one. After searching again I did find this page. It has what I need but not in an XP version.

It turns out that when an update of SP2 was released, it changed my DVD drivers. Now, I can't seem to find a replacement for the Windows version (dated 2001). The 'roll back driver' will not work either.

My device is a CW-8572 (Matshita DVD / CD-RW)
Current driver is: 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft 01/07/2001)

I would like to buy a new drive but I want to try to fix the problem.

Having been bored today, I tried using VirtualBox to run openSUSE from within XP. I have to say, it's pretty good. It seems to have many features as well as software already built in. My only fear is that I know little to nothing about installing anything in Linux e.g. Flash.

My only fear is that I know little to nothing about installing anything in Linux e.g. Flash.

Have a look here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/95959-topic/?findpost=1064392707 concerning some trouble you could imagine with flash. As usually, you will have first to install flash on your system (the exact way depends from the distro you have) and then you will have to include flash in your browser (depending from the browser you use, konqueror or FireFox for instance).

I've been reading all about kUbuntu & openSUSE today and I'll be going into town tomorrow to get a couple of distros from some magazines. I'll give both kUbuntu & openSUSE a go with a partition (25gb ok?). With regards to installing things, I'll just have to throw myself in and learn! I'm interested in looking into SPSS and biodiversity apps to install and learn about.

Flash (and Java) pre-installed is really rare because of patents, and the alternatives are rarely used.Merovingian, thats about right, they(ext) should be easier/safer to resize than windows(ntfs) anyway. Both have GUI's, Synaptic and something from Yum.