xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
uroojjj

Worlds Smallest Tech Products....., Umight Not Beleive What U See Here

Posted Image

Scientists have developed the world's tiniest refrigerator - and it's pretty cold too. Even smaller than a college dorm fridge, the microchip sized fridge can cool objects down to -459 degrees Fahrenheit.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology-designed refrigerators, each 25 by 15 micrometers, are sandwiches of a normal metal, an insulator and a superconducting metal. When a voltage is applied across the sandwich, the hottest electrons "tunnel" from the normal metal through the insulator to the superconductor. The temperature in the normal metal drops dramatically and drains extra heat energy from the objects being cooled.

The researchers used four pairs of these sandwiches to cool the contents of a silicon nitrate membrane that was 450 micrometers on a side and 0.4 micrometers thick. A cube of germanium 250 micrometers on a side, about 11,000 times larger than the combined volume of the fridges was glued on top of the membrane. This is roughly equivalent to having a refrigerator the size of a person cool an object the size of the Statue of Liberty. Both objects were cooled down to about -459° F.

The refrigerators are made using common chip-making lithography methods, which makes it easy to integrate them in production of other micro scale devices. These tiny fridges are much smaller and less expensive than conventional equipment. The fridges have applications such as cooling cryogenic sensors in highly sensitive instruments for semiconductor analysis and astronomical research

Posted Image

a video still o actual motor

Scientists recently unveiled the tiniest electric motor ever built. You could stuff hundreds of them into the period at the end of this sentence.

One day a similar engine might power a tiny mechanical doctor that would travel through your body in the ultimate house call.

The motor works by shuffling atoms between two molten metal droplets in a carbon nanotube

Posted Image

smallestflip phone with camera

AT&T has finally launched the Pantech C3b, which is apparently the world's smallest flip camera phone with Bluetooth. Measuring only 2.72 inches tall, 1.69 inches wide, and 0.8 inch thick, it is essentially the same as the Pantech C300. The Pantech C3b is different only in that it has changeable covers and that it has integrated Bluetooth. It packs in quite a number of features in such a tiny device, like a VGA camera, mobile e-mail services, text messaging, and GPRS connectivity. Sure, it's not a terribly fancy phone, but for the low price of $19.99 after a 2-year contract, it's not too shabby

worlds smallet guitar

Posted Image

Imagine playing the world's smallest guitar, with a laser for your guitar pick. Some nanotechnologists are strumming tiny strings this way – but there's no jamming going on. As this ScienCentral News video reports, they're trying to make much smaller, cheaper electronics that could use less energy.

Playing with Light

The next time a friend is pouring out his sob story to you, you can tell him that the world's tiniest guitar is playing for him. Physicists at Cornell University have created a nanoscale "guitar" about as wide as a single red-blood cell.

This device isn't really a guitar, but since the researchers are building very tiny objects to study vibration and resonance, it's obvious why they're thinking musically.

World’s smallest microchain drive fabricated at Sandia

Posted Image

Sandia silicon microchain demonstrates engaging simulated device drive gears.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A microchain that closely resembles a bicycle chain — except that each link could rest comfortably atop a human hair — has been fabricated at the Department of Energy’s Sandia National Laboratories.

(The distance between chain link centers is 50 microns. The diameter of a human hair is approximately 70 microns.)

worlds smallest UAV

Posted Image

AreoVironment is building the world's smallest UAV, called the Nano Air Vehicle, that has moving wings instead of a propeller or engine. DARPA has given the company $636,000 and six months to demonstrate an ultra-small UAV that will be under three inches long and under 10 grams.

The concept for the project came about through a $1.7 million "Phase One" brainstorming contract. Apparently unaware of the existence of birds, DARPA decided that this innovative and classy new idea was worth pushing through to development and handed over the second wad of cash this week. The Nano Air Vehicle is part of an apparent trend toward smaller and smaller UAVs, following AreoVironment's 80 gram, six inch Black Widow and Prox Dynamics' four inch, 20 gram Black Hornet (which, thanks to the less literal-minded people at PD, does not fly like an actual insect).

Let me tell ya, nothing like trying to keep your grape cold. I guess that is the only thing you could put into a micro refrigerator!? I wouldn't know what else could go in one... maybe one egg. I think an egg would be too big...So like the really flat car, what good would having a microscopic fridge!!?? I do think that little guitar is really sweet, too. I have played guitar for years, but never with a laser. I may have to try that sometime. I just wander how you would place your fingers to make chords!?? Maybe it would be awesome as a lead guitar, so you could thrash out some power, scales!

All of the electronics look really neat, but like Skedad said, kinda pointless. The only one that I really see being of great use to society is the electric motor, as some sort of healing device that could travel through your body that easily - and possibly be ingested, would save countless lives, and a lot of time of hospitals. I can't wait to see what some of these evolve to in the next ten years or so :mellow:.

The mini fridge could be used as a super icepack. So yeah, it seems to make sense in that aspect. It could go in a cooler, or lunchbag. It could probably be used to cool things around it or to keep things cold... like maybe keep out interferences. I wonder if it lasts much longer than icebags in coolers or icepacks in lunchbags.Maybe it is worthwhile finding out more information now that I am not being so silly about it!- skedad -

Think of it as a super cold icecube :mellow:.By the way, you really should stop posting things that you didn't write yourself... or at least put them in quotes. You could get banned for not writing your own material.

Those are very neat electronics, though many of them are far too small to be practical. I would love to own the tiny picture cell phone but I would be afraid of lossing it, and since it is so small I might not even notice if it fell from my pocket. Also, I was wondering, what are some of these products made of, I realize many are of different metals, but what is the refrigerator made of, it looks blue in th picture.

That would be cool if they licensed this technology to computer chip manufactures and embed this cooling apparatus in new CPU(s), video cards, hard drives, and everything else that generates heat and some how have it ground via a special cable in your house to earth ground. That would kool. No wait, you could even have a cool house during the summer. Wow! :mellow:

That would be cool if they licensed this technology to computer chip manufactures and embed this cooling apparatus in new CPU(s), video cards, hard drives, and everything else that generates heat and some how have it ground via a special cable in your house to earth ground. That would kool. No wait, you could even have a cool house during the summer. Wow! :mellow:

Good to see someone's on the same wavelength as me when it comes to thinking of practical uses for cooling things. Another good reason for having the cooling chips embedded in the CPU etc. would be that the manufacturer could tailor them to their specific heat output (as opposed to having a cooling unit built in to your machine devoted to cooling the entire thing down, like the common noisy fan today). Your CPU would get a lot more of the cooling devices, whereas your, say...network card (just thinking of a less used device) would have less.

My question for you, of course, is where does the heat go? Judging from the explanation given, and my knowledge of A Level Physics (results in just over a week, wooo!), I'd say it effectively relocates the heat energy from one side of the device to the other. If that's the case, perhaps having them combined with the cooling unit in your computer (namely the fans/liquid cooling system) to have the current system effectively "distribute" the heat, so that all areas of the inside of the machine are at a similar temperature, with the cooling chips lining, say, the back of the case to rapidly get this heat out of the body would be a better idea?

It's important to remember that all the chip does, while potentially very clever, is move heat from one of its surfaces to the other. That heat still needs to go somewhere, and unless the chips line the actual case then you're simply moving heat around internally. It has a lot of potential, but getting a clever use out of it is maybe a little trickier than you might otherwise think.