xisto Community
Cassandra1405241487

What Freeware Do You Use?

Best freeware...well, for me is the OpenOffice Suite, since I can't afford the full MS Office 2003, I simply downloaded OpenOffice and so far every file I have created is fully compatible with MS Office programs (*.doc/*.rtf/*.ppt...) It's very simple to use too.

Hope some of you will actually use it.Download OpenOffice according to your Windows version...

The only criterion for being classified as "freeware" is that the software must be made available for use for an unlimited time at no cost. The software license may impose one or more other restrictions on the type of use including personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combination of these. For instance, the license may be "free for personal, non-commercial use." Everything created with the freeware programs can be distributed at no cost (for example graphic, documents, or sounds made by user).There is some software which may be considered freeware, but which has limited distribution; that is, it may only be downloaded from a specific site, and cannot be redistributed. Hence, this software wouldn't be freely redistributable software. According to the basic definition, that software would be freeware; according to stricter definitions, it wouldn't be.because of the different meanings of the word "free". Freeware is gratis and refers to zero cost, versus free software that is described as "libre", which means free to study, change, copy, redistribute, share and use the software in any purpose. However, many programs are both freeware and free software. They are available for zero cost, provide the source code and are distributed with free software permissions. This software would exclusively be called free software to avoid confusion with freeware that usually does not come with the source code

Theres a list of all the freeware I use:1. Mozilla Firefox 3: This is the Open Source browser that you all know about. The extensions I use are Glasser (for the vista effect), Adblock Plus (to block ads), remove it permanently ( to remove other unwanted elements in a website), FlashGot (download manager integration), Basics (to add a "new tab" button), all-in-one gestures (this provides mouse gestures but i use it just for the tab scroll feature), DownloadHelper (to download embedded videos from any site), Menu Editor (to cleanup the tools menu and the right-click menu), Greasemonkey ( adding scripts as needed), Userstyles ( to add custom CSS), Hide Menubar (to increase screen real estate).2. Crap Cleaner: This cleans up all kinds of temporary files and broken shortcuts and what not. Cleans up a few 100MB worth of crap every week. It also fixes problems with the registry.3. Foxit Reader: To open PDF Files. I also use WinDJView to open djvu files and Comical to open cbz files4. Free Download Manager: Wondering what this software does?5. IzArc: This is a great archiver that supports all formats like zip, rar, cab and 7z and many many more. Can open archives that open programs deem corrupted. For a program with a better interface try TugZip.6. K-Lite Mega Codec Pack: This installs all the codecs you will need to run any kind of media file. You need to install QuickTime Alternative separately for quicktime movie support. You can use any media player but it provides Media Player Classic if you want to use it. Sometimes Media Player Classic can open files that open media players can't.7. Adobe AIR: This is a runtime that I use for a number of apps7a. Doomi: A simple to do list7b. DestroyFlickr: Flickr browser7c. DiggTop: Shows you the top digg stories including images and videos. And you can view the images and videos in the air app itself.7d. ReadAir: Google Reader on you desktop7e. Snippely: Saves snippets of codes7f. Snackr: This is a brilliant RSS Reader. It is basically a ticker that scrolls across the bottom (or top/left/right) if your screen and you can read all the news you want. Very useful for people who are experiencing information overload. I use it to monitor sites like CNN, BBC, WSJ, etc. where i dont need to read every article.8. uTorrent: To download movies, TV Shows, etc.9. Pidgin: to login into multiple im accounts at once. You might use meebo.com instead.10. Mozilla Prism: To create prisms from websites. That is use websites as desktop applications.So whats you pick of freewares?

I actualy use nothing but freeware :mellow: , especialy since I've switched to linux, but here is a short listImaging:The GIMP (image editing)Fastone MaxView (image viewing)RawTherapee (raw conversion)MusicBanshee (linux) or windows media player (windows, duh!)Audacity (basic editing)dbpoweramp (converting)MP3Tag (tagging)Office/text/...openOfficeNotepad++SecuritySygate Personal Firewall / commodo personal firewall pro 3Spybot S&DInternetOpera 9.5Mercury MessengerFilezilla... and there are a lot of other program

Goodness, what freeware don't I seem to use.I keep updating Mozilla Firefox browsers, too. I use a lot of graphics programs, that, to me was freeware. I have a lot of updated programs that were educational versions. This is stuff that needs subscriptions or even buying software, but were free to me.I don't know the next time I will have anymore freeware that is Adobe Photoshop CS, or even Macromedia Dreamweaver MX. These were all part of a package deal. I have the tutorial texts that went with my classes. I have a lot of freeware like firewalls, and antiviruses that were all free through educational packages.I used a lot of different Adwares and Spybots, but I just don't add them to my system anymore. I don't really 'surf' the net like I used to, so I go to tons of TRUSTED sites. And I have had a few viruses, but they were caught and deleted before it took any kind of affect.I do a lot of MP3 conversion programs, RIP from CD, and I am looking for audio recording software. I have animation software, and even used some form of financial programs. They were like hybrids of like Microsoft Money. So freeware is great, shareware gets a little complicated at times.I used to use Limewire, Bearshare, and even Napster at one point... oh yeah, they are basically illegal usage now... so I don't anymore.I will be googling everything I can to try to find and research anything good that can be used online, not cheap... but FREE!Have fun hunting! I know I will!- skedad -

Heres the main freeware stuff that i use:Mozilla Firefox 3.0SafariiTunesPokerStarsMSN MessengerYahoo MessengerAOL Instant MessengermIRCxfirelimewirebittorrentThe list just goes on and on :mellow: I do have alot of purchased stuff however such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash and many many many Games! :D

The freeware programs I sue include:Mozilla Firefox 3SafariWindows Live MessengerRocketdockWinSplit RevolutionCalgoo CalendarI particular like Rocketdock, a dock similar to the one in Mac OS but for Windows.

I see the posts with the messengers. I have used many of the popular ones, but I don't really do it a whole lot right now. I basically use or have used Trillian, meaning Yahoo!, MSN, and I have a really old AOL account. I like that it is all combined, but I just don't seem to have the time to sit and type and blab these days. I think I would be on the phone a lot more these days.I thnk if Trillian beefed up their basic to add a lot of cool features that each service has, then I would be using it tons more.I guess I would have to get Pro, but that is money, and I don't want to use it that bad, and then it would be freeware anymore!

freeware you say?Media: Foobar2000 The GIMP mPlayer VLCInternet/Chat KoroIRC XChat (OSS version) Pidgin Firefox Thunderbird SkypeSecurity Avast! 4Development (keep in mind this is the FREEWARE i use but i do have legit lic to MSVS and Expression) MASM32 Notepad++ Dev-Cpp Defixed Version of OllyDBG Immunity Debugger W32Dasm MinGW/MSYS Cygwin Python Windows PowershellCCleaner..OOoAbiWordand i THINK that is it..

I only use a few like:1.GOM Player2.Azureus Vuze3.Mozilla Firefox4.Microsoft Visual Basic 5.Windows live messengerAnd thats about it.Basically use GOM player the most(its like vlc player) :mellow: Apart from that, thats all i use, not much......Plus not sure Mircosoft Basic is a freewarepasanator

Haven't seen anyone mentioned InkScape (https://inkscape.org/en/). It is great tool for doing some vector graphics. It is similar to Corel Draw (not as powerful though), but it can get job done quite easily.The good side is that it is quite popular and you can find many great tutorials for it to do some magic :mellow:

Well I use a lot of freeware, but it all depends on how good it is otherwise it's a waste of precious space.I use:Utorrent (legally)FlashGetWAMPInternet BrowsersLive MessengerLive Mailplus some more maybe but those are the main ones I use.

I have installed more browsers, but it is not as exciting as adding on new programs. I have not been actively installing to my PC as of late. But I add a lot of extensions for my Dreamweaver, and it is all freeware.I plan to reformat my PC again and then maybe try new things... I am always up for trying new things... So maybe I could start customizing my programs that come in and it is easier when it is free to do.

I have installed more browsers, but it is not as exciting as adding on new programs. I have not been actively installing to my PC as of late. But I add a lot of extensions for my Dreamweaver, and it is all freeware.
I plan to reformat my PC again and then maybe try new things... I am always up for trying new things... So maybe I could start customizing my programs that come in and it is easier when it is free to do.

Yer, I almost forgot I add heaps and heaps of extensions to my programs like Dreamweaver as you said and Photoshop, I guess if I counted all the freeware I had there would be a massve list but I only named a few that I've downloaded.