xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
levimage

Gimp: Saving As... Issues Anybody experiencing compatibility problems

Hi all you gimp users.I am wondering if you are experiencing problems with your images created in GIMP as I am. We here is my story. I take pictures with a camera and upload them to my computer with a the camera software. Nothing is changed yet. Then I go to that file location and open the image or a copy of the image with GIMP. Then i edit it, add layers, and tweak various settings before saving it to .XCF (native GIMP format). Then later I was to export it. I do so as JPEG or TIFF.The problem is whatever I create/modify in GIMP, I seem to have trouble opening it back up in my image management program or other Microsoft products. I know there are all kinds of settings when it comes to saving/exporting to a specific file format. What I would like to know is if you are experiencing any issues like this and what you do to circumvent them. It seems like I have to save the image with all kinds of settings just to get it to open. The reason this is bugging me and I've stopped taking/editing pictures for a while is because my image management program doesn't like the GIMP's JPEG(s). The files corrupted my image management database. So I'm kind of like sitting on the side of the road (not doing any photo editing) right now. I need to back up my images and reorganize them before I do/take on anymore photo editing projects. I think I need to sift through +60 GB of photos.Here is one theory that might affect compatibility. GIMP and an option that says save EXIF data. I'm wondering if this is the actual EXIF data from the camera, GIMP modified EXIF data, or GIMP's EXIF meta data.The TIFF data is also acting quirky when I try to pull it up in other programs. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.Another problem I'm experiencing is printing problems, but I think that is another topic. TBA

There is s easy way. Download a image preview applicationand use it to convert file format created by gimp.Actually, I do knew that gimp have some file compatiabitiy issues.On the other hand, if you don't like to add new software.Then if you have windows 2000.You may try open a new file save by gimp from imaging.That might help.For some file format, you may use copy-and-paste also.finally, if none of these fit your need.Please details your specific needWish that help !Thanks,

What version of gimp are you using?
In the latest version, the defaults options will just be fine. You can change the quality, but don't use the
progressive option for jpeg compression. Try no compression for tiff.

Hi all you gimp users.
I am wondering if you are experiencing problems with your images created in GIMP as I am. We here is my story. I take pictures with a camera and upload them to my computer with a the camera software. Nothing is changed yet. Then I go to that file location and open the image or a copy of the image with GIMP. Then i edit it, add layers, and tweak various settings before saving it to .XCF (native GIMP format). Then later I was to export it. I do so as JPEG or TIFF.

The problem is whatever I create/modify in GIMP, I seem to have trouble opening it back up in my image management program or other Microsoft products. I know there are all kinds of settings when it comes to saving/exporting to a specific file format. What I would like to know is if you are experiencing any issues like this and what you do to circumvent them. It seems like I have to save the image with all kinds of settings just to get it to open. The reason this is bugging me and I've stopped taking/editing pictures for a while is because my image management program doesn't like the GIMP's JPEG(s). The files corrupted my image management database. So I'm kind of like sitting on the side of the road (not doing any photo editing) right now. I need to back up my images and reorganize them before I do/take on anymore photo editing projects. I think I need to sift through +60 GB of photos.

Here is one theory that might affect compatibility. GIMP and an option that says save EXIF data. I'm wondering if this is the actual EXIF data from the camera, GIMP modified EXIF data, or GIMP's EXIF meta data.

The TIFF data is also acting quirky when I try to pull it up in other programs. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Another problem I'm experiencing is printing problems, but I think that is another topic. TBA