xisto Community
patel1405241559

Computer Not Boot Up hardware issue?

hi,, just today i cleaned my CPU fan and cleaned HotSink.. and after that my pc wont start.. fans run in normal speed.. but not high speed (generally in startup for first 2 sec it run slow speed.. than run on high speed) and even my screen is not getting any ... like not attachend with my pc..something wrong i did during cleanup..????????i cheaked all connection it good.. and as it is like before..pls help with this.... my emil is bbpatelca@hotmail.comthanks for your helps

hi,, just today i cleaned my CPU fan and cleaned HotSink.. and after that my pc wont start.. fans run in normal speed.. but not high speed (generally in startup for first 2 sec it run slow speed.. than run on high speed) and even my screen is not getting any ... like not attachend with my pc..something wrong i did during cleanup..????????i cheaked all connection it good.. and as it is like before..

pls help with this.... my emil is bbpatelca@hotmail.com

thanks for your helps

Did the built in speaker make any sound?

It's quite likely that the connection of your ram or your video card is loose. Try dismount and resit them. Then try to boot again. This kind of problem happen all the time.

Take note of the beeps too when boot up, it will help you troubleshoot the problem. If all the beeps are long beeps, that means it's related to ram. Else, if it's one long beeps then 3 short beeps, it's related to graphic card. You can also refer to your manual.

If this still doesn't help. Try disconnection all your harddisk, cdrom and floppy. Leave the motherboard alone, connected to the power supply only. Then try to see if it boots. If it does, then connection each of the device back one by one. Test in between, so you know which is causing the problem.

The CPU fan adjusts its speed depending on the heat generated by the processor which is directly proportional to it's usage. The 16-bit programs including the BIOS and its Power On Self Test program put a lot of load on the CPU and hence the fan speeds up during the initial stages of booting.

Follow these steps to pinpoint the problem:-

Processor & Board

1. Disconnect everything from the motherboard.

2. Install the CPU and the heatsink. Make sure there is enough thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. If you wipied it during the cleaning process, get some from the store and re-apply it uniformly on top of the processor.

3. Connect the power supply and try to bootup the system.

4. If the system speaker beeps, it means your processor and board are fine. If not, it is most likely that there is a problem with the CPU. Try the process with a different CPU or try the CPU on a different motherboard.

The RAM

5. Connect the RAM.

6. Connect the monitor and try booting. Also, try juggling between the slots.

7. If you are able to access the BIOS then the problem is with something else. Now continue the process by connecting the devices one by one and trying to boot up each time. As mentioned by faulty.lee, if you hear beeps from the onboard speaker, refer to the manual.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Did you remove any parts during the cleaning process? If you removed the heatsink off the CPU, you MUST reapply new thermal paste on to the heatsink before you remount it on to your CPU (remember to wipe the thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink before applying new thermal paste).Thermal paste can only be used ONCE and should not be reused ever!xboxrulz

If you do not hear any beeps from the mother board be aware that some manufacturers such as Dell use diagnostic lights on the back panel to inform users of boot errors. Your owners manual will have a description of what the lights mean if this is the case.

Hey this is just a luck guess. But ummm... when you were cleaning your Fans/heatsinks did you remove them from your motherboard? If so when you were installing them again, did you have to use any force to install them or was the motherboard making any kind or creaking sounds? Was water or other cleaning solution used, or come in contact with any electronics? Also what did you use to clean your setup -- cotton swabs, paper towels, compressed air, circuit board cleaner sprays, oxidizings spray agents, or something? Maybe you zapped out (static) your setup (motherboard) -- it happens, especially on old equipment. Or maybe their is some kind or residue left behind. Maybe you dropped a screw and shorted out something, or a magnetic tip of your screw driver came to close to something inside. Well I think we need some more feedback -- If you can explain your cleaning process we can rule out all the what if(s)... okay. We'll reply soon.

The answer Computer Not Boot Up

Well,the last time that happend to me I ended up having to change the cpu.Depending on what board you cleaned depends on if you did anything wrong.In a LGA775 board never stick your fingers in the cpu socket others are quite different.The problem may only be you cpu,it also could be you motherboard go to newegg.Com and you can find some nice combo deals there and they ship fast.

-reply by Myron Todd