xisto Community
java-area

Free Graphical Tools For Databases

There are a lot of different free software in Internet, but I have found only couple of free graphical tools for database adminiatration.On another hand, MySQL is free for non commercial usage. That's way it will be nice to have any good free GUI for this database.I remember the time, when one of MySQL-Front versions was for free, but now it is opened only for testing period.There is also free version of Toad, which is not full Toad, but it looks also very well -However, I am not going to use Oracle (wchich is quite expensive commercial tool) on my desktop. There will be nice to have something like MySQL-front, but for free.Are there any free Eclipse plugins, that provide a perspective for database administration?I do not know.And you?Do you know any free graphical tools for administering so-named "light" databases like Hibersonic or MySQL? How they look like on your experience?I would very appreciated for any propositions!

Edited by java-area (see edit history)

Did you already test phpMyadmin for administrating a mysql database ? I think that for administrative purposes (creating tables, creating databases, modifying some records inside some tables) it's enough, it works like toad.

I agree with yordan, phpMyAdmin is a great GUI tool for playing around with databases. Can you please explain whether you are looking for software for a local databases (like on your computer) or whether its on a webserver.

If your are looking for software for your PC, have a look at MySQL GUI Tools (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/. There is three different downloads, the MySQL Administrator, Query Browser and Migration Toolkit. These tools may be able to help you out, and they're all licesened under the GPL.

Good Luck

There are a lot of different free software in Internet, but I have found only couple of free graphical tools for database adminiatration.On another hand, MySQL is free for non commercial usage. That's way it will be nice to have any good free GUI for this database.
I remember the time, when one of MySQL-Front versions was for free, but now it is opened only for testing period.

There is also free version of Toad, which is not full Toad, but it looks also very well -
However, I am not going to use Oracle (wchich is quite expensive commercial tool) on my desktop.
There will be nice to have something like MySQL-front, but for free.

Are there any free Eclipse plugins, that provide a perspective for database administration?
I do not know.
And you?
Do you know any free graphical tools for administering so-named "light" databases like Hibersonic or MySQL? How they look like on your experience?
I would very appreciated for any propositions!

While not "free" MS Access can link to any ODBC database. I mention it as you may already have it if you have the correct version of office. Similairly I am uncertain as to the abilities of the DB in Open Office Base, but you may have similar capabilities.

Of course there are dozens of ways to make a program to look at your Db and pass queries to your RDBMS. Any web programming language, Java and, MS has their free express versions of VB, C++, C#, etc.

. Can you please explain whether you are looking for software for a local databases (like on your computer) or whether its on a webserver.

local databases on PC for testing purposes.

GUI should be quite simply and distributive is not too big.

It should work under Windows (Linux is optional) and I am going to use it anywhere: on my home computer, on laptop, on my work machine in the office - I do not need to worry about any license limitations!

Seems, I have just found an analog of SQL-Front, which is called HeidiSQL and absolutely free:

http://www.heidisql.com/

Another good free database tool, which I have found:

http://dbdesigner.sourceforge.net/

First of all, It is intended to creating database UML diagrams and they are amazing!

(I have tested many free tools for database UML design and I am cosidering dbdesigner as the best! )

But it provides also a possibility for remote admitistaring some databases. I do not know how it works, because I am only studing this issue.

If your are looking for software for your PC, have a look at MySQL GUI Tools (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/. There is three different downloads, the MySQL Administrator, Query Browser and Migration Toolkit

Thank you very much, it sounds good!

Of course there are dozens of ways to make a program to look at your Db and pass queries to your RDBMS. Any web programming language, Java and, MS has their free express versions of VB, C++, C#, etc.

That's true. Seems, it is not great deal to create own simple GUI for database adminestering with free components (for example, in Java)

And I am wondering why we are still do not have a free Eclipse perspective for this.

I thought about creating such free perspective(or a small free application) on my own.

But first I am going to check all existed free software in Internet to prevent creating so-named "old bicycle":

in Russian it means "you are trying to invent something what have been used by people for many years!" :(

I always use PhPMyAdmin as it is very easy to use and very reliable.
Hope this helps!

I looked breafly and belive it is good.
But I do not always have pre-installed PHP and Web servers (like Apache etc.) on my local destops/nootbook.
Usually I do not use PHP (which is quite resource-consuming) in my regular work for projects, and many my frends have the same situation.
So, it will be a little strange to install PHP + Apache especially for getting GUI to the small local testing database.

But I do not always have pre-installed PHP and Web servers (like Apache etc.) on my local destops/nootbook.

Easyphp is very small, easy to install, maybe you could have a look, for small testing on your laptop it's probably worth giving it a try. And it's a complete set, including PHP and mysql and java readty to be used.