xisto Community
alan

Best Handset For Gprs The best handset, good for GPRS Connectivity

Dear Friends, I want to use GPRS to browse the Internet in my PC. Which brand is good and gives more speed in GPRS Connectivity and it is cheap and best. Please give me advice. :)

Unless your GPRS is free like mine then it's not worth it. The speed can only be up to 41kb/s (that's what the phones are capable of anyway) and most operators charge something like ?4 for 1mb which is a total rip-off but we can't stop them :):) . So unless you love having really slow internet and use less then about 5mb a month then it's not worth it.

Connection Price for 5mb Speed

GPRS ?20 ~10kb/s

Broadband ?19.97 for unlimited* 512kb/s

So after that you still want to use GPRS a good phone as a modem is Nokia 3650 which you can connect to the computer via infrared or bluetooth(you will need a bluetooth dongle for this). It's about ?100 here and it's a top phone. Cool games and you can even get mobile Opera for it. It also has a pop3 application and you download attachments from your email too.

I dont know if you can use this phone as modem so i dont know if it's a good choice or not.

As the broadband service is not available in area,I have decided to buy Nokia 6100. Is it a good choice? :P . Please Reply.

66681[/snapback]

Judging by some of the other posts I've read in the forums here, I'm getting the feeling that most of you are from Europe.

I can tell you from experience that internet connectivity via GPRS at its best is comparable to dialup. Slow.. gutwrenching slow to be honest. That's at its optimal service. The 6100 was one of my first phones so I speak from experience.

I'm not sure what type of service options you have access to but I would recommend nothing less than a 3G connection with a bluetooth cell phone paired to your computer or laptop.

sony ericsson has a good connectivity. try T68i for the cheap one or T610/T630...i've try t68i as a modem, and it has a stable connection... :lol:

How about Nokia 9500 which created specifically for wap surfing which they makes the finest choice, or a PDA would be good if you dont really want a phone...

As the broadband service is not available in area,I have decided to buy Nokia 6100. Is it a good choice? :lol: . Please Reply.

66681[/snapback]

if you dont have a broadband, 6610 is gud, i have the model and i am quite satisfied with the performance of the browsing. The problems in this mobile phone are you can send an mms with sound clip. You dont have the option to insert a sound clip in mms. Also there is no way you can compose.

I hope most people love these features. I would suggest you to go for 6600. only now you dont have a broadband in your region but 2morrow you may get. its not wise to change ur model at a later stage. Also 6600 being based on symbian you get a lot of other goodies for installation.

6610 being a series 40 model have very limited future-proof option. where as a common OS based model can have more future proof

Well, I wouldn't recommend using any Nokia phone for GPRS usage on your PC's... And here's why... I work as a programmer, and for our products, we offer GPRS reporting system. Now, we've tried several industrial GPRS modules, but they are way too expensive for our product to meet competition. So we tried out with mobile phones... And here's the result:Nokia, in it's most expensive model (can't remember what it is, but it's supposed to be good), puts a Class 8 GPRS module... Not bad... If you don't use it too much... It works reliably for some time, then, if used for too long, seems to get worse and worse, and in the end, we ended up working with garbage...Siemens (not the top model, M60 i think it is) worked ok, but if the network signal is too low, you can get a lot of garbage... Alctel worked the same as Siemens, more or less, and Motorola, in my opinion worked the best...To cut the story short, if you want to use a mobile phone for GPRS on PC, use Siemens, Alcatel, or Motorola... Just for your information, Motorola puts Class 10 GPRS module in ther cheapest phone... Notice any difference... The phone works great, even with low network signal...I think Nokia is just overrated because of it's "easy" menus and too much comercials... I don't say they don't make good phones, I just say there are way better manufacturers than Nokia...

Oh my god, Here using GPRS is a nightmare..GPRS is very expensive.But still i would like to say Nokia 6600 is best for using GPRS cause i own that phone..

Oh my god, Here using GPRS is a nightmare..

GPRS is very expensive.

But still i would like to say Nokia 6600 is best for using GPRS cause i own that phone..

148751[/snapback]

GPRS its very expensive here too. 1 Mbyte its about 10 dollars!! I'm in Uruguay, where are you from?

A SonyEricsson T610 it's really good for GPRS browsing.