xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jorge del norte

Anybody Use Gimp? It's Free! art applications

I use Gimp 2.............on a IBook......I use to have alot of art applications.....in OS 9.0, but in OSX I have not bought any yet, and I may not ever now that I found GIMP.......For basic artm and photo editing it works great......I have not tested all the export options but for web work it seems to work great.........and best of all it is free.

https://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

also for PC people......

https://www.gimp.org/windows/

I am using Gimp, but for a while didn't do anything special, due to I didn't have the need to do something.. more busy with programming lately..Gimp is really great, it can do so much and I see that more and more resources are spreading in the net, different tutorials and articles of how to do something, what others are used to do with other graphic suits, like photoshop and etc. :) which is quite expensive, if you aren't to serious about graphics. :)

It really is a great choice, and by far the best free open source option I have yet to see for graphic design options. I personally use the old standard, photoshop, as I have access to a copy but if you don't the gimp is an amazing substitute as people can create many comparable level design with the toolset provided without the overhead of the expensive software purchase. While I know the gimp is not for everyone as I know of a handful of people who simply do not like it for whatever reason (tools available, gui design, intuitiveness, etc) for the majority of users it is a great application that will serve them very well. I recommend it to anyone looking for an image editor without the coin to drop on photoshop (or that has it but isn't serious enough about image editing to do so).

I really love GIMP. It came with my ubuntu installation right out of the box. It's really a great software and you can do everything (or almost, not sure) that you could with a paid software, like photoshop. I'm not really a graphic designer, but I do like to edit pictures to my liking, and so far GIMP has given me all the tools I need for that.I really hope someday it could be considered as one of the best software out there for editing images, because it really is a good piece of software that deserves the best.

Ah, the Gimp. I love that program. Back in December 2007, I downloaded it on both my linux and windows partition of my PC, and started using it. It was hard at first, but I gradually learnt things about it and gone to the level I was at when I used photoshop, and discovered many interesting effects, though a basic gradient is usually my favourite still. I recommend anyone reading this to download it.

GIMP is definitely a great alternative to Photoshop, though I have to say if you are switching from Photoshop and are used to Photoshop, making the switch can take some time. A lot of the locations of buttons in GIMP are quite different from Photoshop. (Personally, I don't really like their icon set...some of the icons, such as the one from "cropping" are really unintuitive. Then again, it took me quite some time to find the cropping icon in Photoshop without a manual, so I can't really say Adobe's is better...)The GIMP, IMO, covers most of the things your average user would need. Most people don't need all the flashy things that Photoshop has to offer, and only really use GIMP's subset of Photoshop's features, such as layers, replacing backgrounds, lighten, darken, etc---basically things that pertain to image editing for amusement. The difference between the GIMP and Photoshop lies in their support for print design. Photoshop supports CMYK, which is very important for anyone designing for print. The GIMP, unfortunately, does not. (I do wonder why...)Anyways, if anyone is annoyed at the GIMP's ui, they can always download Gimpshop (https://www.gimpshop.com/), which changes the ui to feel similar to that of Photoshop's.--arbitrary

I have heard so much about GIMP, but I never needed to really use it. I think that if someone I know would need something like that, I would probably try it and then recommend it. I think I have posted many times about GIMP, so I won't do the Photoshop is great response.My opinion is that I think GIMP may be good to use on a personal and fun level... But I think that on a professional level, it would be good to use Photoshop... or maybe that is just what I have learned.But then again, I always go back to 'use what you know and like.'- skedad -

Introduction:

I use GIMP on a daily basis to create my graphical works. In this thread i will show you WHY i use gimp and what features it has. GIMP can be very helpfull for people intrested in graphic design but havent got the programs to do it wtih =].

GNU Image Manipulation Program, or GIMP, is a raster graphics editor used to process digital graphics and photographs. Typical uses include creating graphics and logos, resizing and cropping photos, altering colours, combining multiple images, removing unwanted image features, and converting between different image formats.[2]GIMP can also be used to create basic animated images in GIF format. It is often used as a free software replacement for Adobe Photoshop, the most widely used bitmap editor in the printing and graphics industries; however, it is not designed to be a Photoshop clone.[3] The project's mascot is named Wilber.

The project was started in 1995 by Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis and is now maintained by a group of volunteers under the auspices of the GNU Project.[4] The latest version of GIMP, v. 2.4.6, was released on May 30, 2008. Available under the terms of the GNU General Public License, GIMP is free software, however this (as with all software licensed under GPL) is a reference to your ability to modify the source-code, rather than be able to use it gratis.

Features

IMP's manipulation tools can be accessed via the toolbox, menu paths, and dialog boxes (which can be grouped in docks). They include filters and brushes, as well as transformation, selection, layer and masking tools.

For example, GIMP comes with 48 standard brushes, plus facilities to create new ones. Brushes (and brush tools) can be used in hard-edged, soft-edged, or eraser modes, be applied at different opacities, or used with different modes for composition.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

Gimp's website link

http://www.gimp.org/

Here you will find the FREE program download etc

Hope this helps in some way, i also take no credit for posting this.

I grew up on Photoshop, and have little experience with GIMP. I tried it on my linux partition and was hopelessly lost. For people out there like me, look up GIMPShop. It's basically GIMP with photoshop shortcuts and menus. Makes things work much more easily when your shortcuts do what you want them to :)

What kind of errors? can you be more specific?
The latest version works fine on linux and windows

I used it but it gave only errors. :mellow:But i stil like it, its like free photoshop with less features.

I use GIMP usually, but for more advanced things I use Photoshop

Why? What exactly are you missing? That would quite important for people who are thinking about the change due to costs or haven't yet decided which software to use...

But I think that on a professional level, it would be good to use Photoshop...

Again, why exactly?
Sure, Gimp is not Photoshop but then again Gimp is completely free. As pointed out before, UI can be altered to resemble that from PS, while the programme itself is small. I must admit I've used PS long time ago, then switched to Gimp in favour of the open-source license. It's interesting that most people forget one of it's more important features - it's very small for the features it offers. Some time ago I searched for a smaller, simpler replacement for Gimp for the little everyday tasks. It surprised me that much software that brands itself "small and handy" are actually bigger when it come to size, while offering just the basic Paint-like functions.

I'd like to say that the situation here is similar to that of early IE vs. Firefox conflict. People are so used to PS (which was developed with resources not available to the Gimp) that they think something is worse just because it's not PS, even though with a certain amount of effort (and with a huge amount of cash left in their wallet) they can replicate their results in Gimp as well. What do you experts think?

I think that the GIMP is great for manipulating any type of image except for photos. This is because it doesn't have more of the Photo editing tools in photo-editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, Picasa or software designed for photo-editing.

I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux, and found it to be quite useful for creating images. There is a script you can download to add Layer via Copy and layer via Cut options similar to those in Photoshop.

And open-source is awesome!!