xisto Community
thesalmonator

Hard Drive Help!

Hey, i moved my harddrive from one place in my pc 2 another, booted in up it worked fine.... Then, the next day, it wouldnt boot..... It does all pre boot checks, and its reconised by the bios, but the win xp bootscreen wont appear, and sometimes it says harrdrive not found. PLASE HELP!!!!!(im using a different pc now, but i wont 2 fix it quickly without spending anythin.....)

ok before i give to many suggestions i want to make some things clear. is it a sata hd or an ide? if you don't know what that is tell me if the datacable (not the power cable) is 5 cm wide or 1 cm wide. if its 1 cm then its ata or sata and in that case it should work alright no matter how you moved it around. you might need to select it as the primary boot device now that you have moved it around. you do that in the bios or you can select it at the pre windows bootup screen.if you have an ide hd you might need to change the drives functioning mode and thats a more advanced story so write me again if it is the case that you have an ide

Hello there, regarding about your hard disk problem may I ask did you transfer your HD to another computer? And do you mean that, after you have transferred your hard disk to another PC it booted NORMALLY onto the OS, no problem at all?Assuming that your HD is recognized in the BIOS during boot up, but your problem is getting the Windows boot up screen to appear this would mean another problem with your 'new' PC (the system where you've transferred your HD). It is because the pre-installed OS on your hard disk -including its system configurations, & hardware drivers are different on that 'new' PC. It cannot be recognized by that pre-installed OS on your HD. Assuming if that's the case.

Probably the disk has been removed from the bootlist.Have a look at your bios setup (usually it's obtained by pressing the F2 key after powerup) and have a look which hard drive is defined to boot. Probably your hard drive is not in the boot list and you have to define your hard drive as allowed to boot from.

Hey, just to clean some things up, my hard drive has a 5cm cable (so its IDE) and the processor is an intel. I moved it within the same pc, and I have tried looking at the bios, and it does recognise it as the primary IDE......So maybe i might need to change the drive funtioning mode..... Thx so far...

Edited by thesalmonator (see edit history)

Hey, just to clean some things up, my hard drive has a 5cm cable (so its IDE) and the processor is an intel. I moved it within the same pc, and I have tried looking at the bios, and it does recognise it as the primary IDE......So maybe i might need to change the drive funtioning mode..... Thx so far...

Hey, thanks for the help so far, and I checked and my hd has a 5cm cable, (so it's ide). You said something in your post about changing the drives funtioning mode, so I would like to know how to do this so I can try it to see if it works......

Yes exactly. There is some info about this on google, but before giving you a link i will give my own explanation. I think the place you change the drives functioning mode is next to the data cable (the one which is 5 cm wide), which is next to the powercable. that is on my dvd ide drive i have a powercable most to the right, next to that i have the data cable / ide cable. And next to that i have the place i change the functioning mode. Should be the same for you. The picture here also shows another way: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/img/16837_hard-disk.gif. You can change the functioning mode there in many ways.
On your motherboard you probably have two places where you can insert an ide data cable of the 5 cm size... the one on the left on the mobo is usually the primary and the one on the right is the secondary (might be different though, but doesn't matter so much, I will explain more later). Now from the picture i sent you, you can see the place called jumper pins. That is what you can try to adjust. on the picture in the jumber area section there is a white thing most to the right. By changing its position you change whether it is adjusted to primary or secondary cable. Also you can adjust whethere it is master or slave. the first connection place after connecting the cable to the mobo is the master, and the last is the slave.
so you basically have to options. try moving the jumper (the white little thing, use your nails!) around in different vertical positions
or read the instruction on your harddisk which is similar to the instruction on the middle right of the link i sent you. it shows how to set the jumber in accord with whether you are using primary or secondary and master or slave..

have a nice time, remember things can be difficult with computers but just take it easy, you might learn something useful for a job or something like that... jobs aren't everything though are they?
c you

a last a little extra i didn't give you in the personal messages, something i forgot... here is a google search on changing the jumper:
https://www.google.com/search?q=change+jumptf8&oe=utf8

and here is a specifik choise of the google search:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm