xisto Community
levimage

Gimp: Working With Text Simple GIMP tutorial for beginners

GIMP Working with Text

1) Start a new image with dimensions that hold your text. Plan for extra room.

2) Text Tool: Create a Text. Type in a name or something. Pick a font and Size of 50 pixels.

Posted Image

3) Adding a Shadow:

There are different ways add a shadow. There are many ways to add a basic shadow but some will

result in your shadow being clipped on the edges. So I'll show you a work around. This would also

Apply when part of your blur - or other filter - gets knocked off the text selection you apply it on.

I've found out you can do two things.

3.A) In your text dialog, you can enter a line return before the text, add some spaces before and

after the line of your text, and add a line return after the text. You can also set the text alignment

to center. This is a fast method to make empty space around your text. This makes your text layer

larger but might make it difficult if you use guides to align layers.

- or -

3.;) Under the Layers menu, select 'Discard The Text Information' on your selected layer. You wont be

able to edit the text so make certain this is the size you want. Now under the Layers menu select

'Layer Boundary Size'. The layer size may say something like Width: 337, Height: 52, add the amount of

space around the text. So if I was going to add a Gaussian Blur at 25 pixels, I would need to make the

width 337 + (2*25 pixels) = 387; height 52 + (2*25pixels) = 102. So I unchecked the lock icon, enter

the

new values, click the Center button, and finally resize.

4) Now make two (2) Duplicate copies of the layer (Duplicate button on Layers Dialog). You can rename

the layer to note any modifications on it.

5) Now on the Filters.. Blur.. select Gaussian Blur (on the Menu). Select 4 pixels and click OK.

Posted Image

6) On the second layer. Make a second Gaussian Blur with a pixel of 15.

Posted Image

7) Make three (3) copies of the layer. Right-click the layer copy (layer dialog box) and select Merge

down. Do this till all the duplicated copies are merged with the original. This shows gives a deep

shadow behind our text.

Posted Image

8) Make a copy of the original Text Layer. Right click the copy (layer dialog box) and select 'Alpha

to Selection'. Now that your text outline is highlighted.

8.1) From the Select.. select Grow (on the Menu). Select 1 pixel and click OK.

8.2) Now select the Bucket Fill Tool. Make sure the 'BG color' and 'Fill whole selection' is selected

(on the Tool options). This will allow you to paint with the white to the entire text selection. Now

with the paint tool click inside the selection.

8.3) From the Select.. Select None (on the Menu)

Posted Image

9) Now click the foreground color to open the color selection dialog. Change the foreground color to

something like blue. Select 'FG color' in the bucket tool options. Finally select the background color. Paint

the background blue.

Posted Image

10) Congratulations. You're done. You can save this as the native GIMP format (.xcf) or export to

jpeg. :P

I love this your tuto. It's clear, with nice examples. Exactly what I was looking for, a step-by-step explanation on how to do the thing.By the way, I hate the sig obtained that way, I hate this blur, I hate the colour you used, but that's not the aim of this topic. The goal was teaching how to do this, and this goal is obtained. Thanks.Yordan

Yes, really great tutorial, it is something I have been doing with Gimp, except a bit different things with the font, you could also write about how to add shadows with some different or custom gradients, make a reflection of the font add something inside, a picture with different opacity and etc. ;)

Thank you for this great tutorial!
I made a signature for myself with this tutorial. :)
If you want to see it, here's a link:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

Please make more useful GIMP beginner tutorials!
I only got GIMP yesterday! :P

pretty nice if green is your think, maybe tone down on the GB or try re-ordering your layers for a better effect.

Yeah I've been looking up a lot of tutorials and I've been becoming better.I even started my own userbar tutorial for Xisto waiting to be accepted! :)Oh and green, red, and black are my favorite colors. :P~ Snake