xisto Community
vdesignlabs

End Of The Inkjet Era?

Hi Friends,I brought a printer 2 months back, the Samsung ML-2010 for Rs.4500($112) and it has just simply amazed me by its performance. We have all been using inkjets for so long that we are used to that 'kee-tik kee-tik kee kee kee keeee' sound and paper coming out one by one. Boy, the way the laser throws out paper. No more sound of paper being printed line by line, it just keeps coming out in one continuous flow. I printed a full book in under 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And how much did it cost me? One tenth the cost of the real book, including the cost of paper, the cost of ink and the binding(Rs.20/$0.5, done from a nearby shop). And what I loved even more than all the above is of the ink never ever drying up. I still remember when I had to throw out a Rs.1500 ink cartridge because it dried out. And with a laser you can fill up its toner for Rs.500($12.5) from a nearby computer shop and it will last for 3000pages. Rs.0.16/page! No more thinking twice before printing anything and whatever you want(Hi, please do remember the environment too..)...................Cheers..............

can fill up its toner for Rs.500($12.5) from a nearby computer shop

Depends probably from the printer model.For my Laser printer, I had to pay 150 euros for an ink cartridge, more than ten times the price you say.
And I see that, around here, if I want a coler inkjet printer it costs me about $50.
A monochrome laser printer costs about $100, and a colour one starts at $200.
So, I think that the inkjet era is not finished yet, as long as people need cheap printers.
---------------
By the way, I slightly changed one word in the topic title, I guess you wanted to say "inkjet" instead of "injet" ?

Yep, have to pay a lot even for a basic black cart... probably like on average 35 to 40 dollars. But I try to use it to my advantage... Quick print with black only for text documents. Well, I guess that is all I can do right now seeing that the color heads on my Lexmark are almost shot... But that is ok, because if I were to purchase another printer for color printouts, I will try to make it NOT a 3in1, so that I can keep up with 4 color printing, and leave my older Lexmark to the black and white printing. It has been forever since the bubblejet printing... Feeds along the holes on each side of the print... oh yes, the good ol days... Half an hour printjob...

I'll go you one for the "good old days." I still have a daisywheel printer upstairs. Remember those? They were considered blindingly fast compared to an IBM Selectric printer with a plastic ball printhead! ;) I have Brother lasers, but they have a "counter" built-in so that when it has done the amount of toner Brother has declared, it shuts down and will not print until the cartridge is replaced. I get recycled ones from Office Max at around $60, but they still play the "shutdown" game. As I recall, some company tried to defeat that "shutdown" technology in HP printers, and HP sued them out of business. It was an application of the "Digital Millenium Copyright Act."Are you satisfied with the quality of the Samsung printing with refilled cartridges?One other trick for saving money (but paying more for the printer) is to get a printer that will do double-sided printing. That halves the amount of paper you use, and also halves the storage requirements. I have a Brother MF8640D laser and an HP DeskJet 970CXi for color printing. Both print double-sided automatically.

Haha, I had a dot matrix printer on my old Commodore 64. You could hear that thing printing from the other end of the house, and it would take so long to print. I had a Garfield cartoon maker where you could take Garfield characters and organize them into a 3 strip comic... I think I have some printed out somewhere actually...

Haha, I had a dot matrix printer on my old Commodore 64. You could hear that thing printing from the other end of the house, and it would take so long to print. I had a Garfield cartoon maker where you could take Garfield characters and organize them into a 3 strip comic... I think I have some printed out somewhere actually...

I've had a dot matrix printer too, man, I miss the sound of it ;) .

As for laser printers, I have an old HP Laserjet 4L (this things is like +10years old :P ) and it still works great. It's utterly slow, paper gets jammed quite often but I've been using the same toner for 2 years in a row. Getting a new one might set me back €50 (but I did a quick search and refilling should only cost like €15, altough I now prefer to replace the toner since I haven't been very nice to it :P ).
One day I'll probably buy myself a color laserprinter, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for it because low priced color laserprinters usualy come with expensive toners and are bad at printing photos.

I am satisfied with my Epson AcuLaser C900, the photos are really nice, no difference with the pictures at a photo shop. ;) However, each color cartridge is about 150 euros. :P