xisto Community
Abhi1405241549

I Cannot Format My C Drive....pls Help

I was going to mention Darik's Boot And Nuke.
I used it once when my boot sector died and I was trying to wipe the hard drive. Just install it to a floppy disk and boot from it. You can choose your type of wipe, one of them takes like 6 hours but it completely gets rid of everything.

It took me a while to find a shop that sold floppy disks and that was over a year ago so I imagine you'll have more trouble finding them now and since people don't have floppy disk drives anymore, it might be harder.

I had downloaded DBAN in both floppy and CDRW format. Since itâs not my system which was wrecked, itâs my cousinâs. So the next Sunday weâll see whether this software will successfully erase the hard disk or notâŚ.

Thanks to Firefox, sten, Xboxrules and to everyoneâŚ..
;):P:P

There is no need to download full Linux operating systems such as Knoppix and Ubuntu. Instead, download the GParted LiveCD, which is approximately 50MB in size, and use it to format the drives. Since it doesn't depend on Windows in any way, the operation should go smoothly.

It looks like the problems solved (maybe...), but I'll throw in my two cents. The Ultimate Boot CD has a great selection of different software that you can use to wipe your hard drive. It can be a bit intimidating for a new user, but it can be very useful!

Have a look at it at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/.

It took me a while to find a shop that sold floppy disks and that was over a year ago so I imagine you'll have more trouble finding them now and since people don't have floppy disk drives anymore, it might be harder.

I have draws full of them if you want some, how many can I put you down for? ;) Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

Concerning the floppy, remember virtualfloppy, which gives you an "a:" disk even if you have no hardware floppy on your system. So, no need to really go to shop and buy a real floppy, you can work only on image files.
Then, if you lost your MS-DOS disks, you download the Windows 98 or windows Millenium or free DRDOS floppy disks images from http://bootdisk.com/ , and use them as a: or b: floppy on your system, and use Nero to create a bootable CD from them.
By the way, the problem is not solved yet,

itâs not my system which was wrecked, itâs my cousinâs. So the next Sunday weâll see whether this software will successfully erase the hard disk or notâŚ.