xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joseph0829

Limewire | Is It Legal Or Illegal?

The program itself isn't illegal it's the files that people host on their server if they don't have the rights from the owner from what i understand it's not illegal it's just the files cause unless you have a hacked version of limewire pro which is illegal and you do not own the rights to and souldn't be using it.

Using Limewire is illegal if you are using it to share or download copyrighted material which you do not have the rights to distribute. It is legal if you are sharing your own work or downloading material where the copyright owner has given you permission to download the material. You should use it with caution, and be aware of the files you are downloading.

Limewire in itself is not illegal; it is only illegal when people download copyrighted music not licensed for distribution that is hosted by someone. This of course does not apply to some music, such as when the author gives permission for redistribution or it is licensed under an open-source license, like creative commons. MY opinion is that the RIAA has no right to prosecute limewire. They try their best to avoid copyright breaching, however, the riaa is of course greedy and wants as music money as possible, even if they sacrifice fairness.

Of course the software it self is not illegal, at least in the U.S. Violating copyright laws is illegal. However. if the company is somehow encouraging the use their software for questionable activities then they may be deemed liable. I believe this was the issue with Napster. I like the cassette argument as I have heard and made it myself before. I actually remember reading somewhere that there was resistance to cassettes being able to record from the radio by record companies at one point as well. I believe there was a similair argument for VCR tapes as well. I will see if I can find a cite for that. While I do not support copyright infringement at all I do believe that the record industry seems to trying to run on an outdated model for the most part. I also have to laugh when I hear record companies complain about declining sales and instantly blame the internet with out ever wondering if maybe their product just happens to suck. I think much of the sales loss can be attributed to the latter.

Yer its 100% illegal.To some extent it can be considered as sharing like freeware(legal) but other that that, by downloading music, programs, which you have to payis very much illegal. Be careful, cause u might get busted if ure caught. If do download illegal stuff, u can denfinity be put on for the blame, and agreeingwith there agreements, ure making it a whole lot more illegal.

Limewire being illegalLimewire | Is It Legal Or Illegal?

How can 'Limewire' be illegal.. 

I mean it can but alot of people use it and some people probaly don't even know that its illegal..

and someone is paying for it - the people that put it on most probaly - so if everyone use's it, how can only 1 or 2 people be charged etc..

please give me some feedback :)

thankyou.

-question by someone.

On whether Limewire is legal or not..Limewire | Is It Legal Or Illegal?

Limewire is file-sharing software.  It is tangible.  It is a thing, or a tool.  People use it to transfer files on a P2P network. Limewire is not illegal, because it is merely a tool.  Not everyone who owns it is going to use it for illegal intent.

An Automatic AK-47 is a gun.  It is tangible.  It is a thing, or a tool.  People use it to send balls of lead forward. Automatic AK-47s are illegal.  They shouldn't be, because they are merely a tool.  Not everyone who owns one is going to use it for illegal intent.

<Devils Advocate>

-reply by THRASH