xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joseph0829

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 - Updates

I have SP3 and I didn't really see a difference in the appearance of things. plus I had the Windows 7 Transformation Pack and when I installed SP3 it messed up the Transformation pack and I had to reinstall the Transformation pack to get it working again. other then that everything's fine

You can get SP3 through automatic updates but I downloaded this from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

this will install PS3, .net framework, and alot more stuff that's included in recent Microsoft updates

What's good about those Service Pack, especially about Windows XP Service Pack 3, that always when you have a fresh install, you were getting lots of updates, due to there weren't any SP for several years since SP2 for XP..So installing XP win Service Pack 3 is much more comfortable, I guess it's just more stable and I can't remember if something really changed in appearance or options.

iguest, asked here that XPSP3 is more beautiful than vista. When he said beautiful then it refers to look and feel. If that is so then is new theme installed with it ?No. So i didn't get the reference with which he refereed to the vista less beautiful than XP. I think installing service pack 3 gives nothing much new advantage than installing new OS like vista and 7.

I had installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 a couple of days ago on a new Lenovo G550 laptop. I couldn't see or feel any serious improvement in aesthetics (i.e. appearance), performance, options, or anything else for that matter. But still, truth be told, I didn't see any decrease in performance, either, which I actually expected, judging by Microsoft's trend of bloating up system resources with its security updates.

With that said, I checked to see what updates SP3 included to begin with, and for my purposes, since I need a good number of those updates, I found installing this new Service Pack a reasonable choice. Granted, some updates are totally unnecessary, but at least installing the Service Pack altoghether saved me the time and hassle of downloading and installing several individual updates manually, one by one.

To sum up, since I didn't see any decline in performance or any unnecessary pressure on system resources, I have no problem recommending the installation of Service Pack 3.

P.S. to Soviet Rathe: Thanks for the mention of the Windows 7 Transformation Pack. I didn't know such a thing existed, but I'm definitely gonna give a try :-)

Well then.

Windows 7 Transformation Pack
http://www.winxtp.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

Windows Vista Transformation Pack
http://www.winxtp.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

Installing any of these will change the appearance of everything on your computer. from cursors, sounds, menus, start menu and task bar, even the boot screen! you will never see the windows XP logo ever again!

A note: if you plan on installing Service Pack 3 then please do so before you install these because the Service Pack overwrites some of the files.

also: these can take up some system resources so if your computer has low RAM or memory as it is I suggest not installing the advanced visual affects Eg: glass boarders, true transparency etc..

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)