xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kxrain

Do Google Search Better Than Yahoo? This is a question for you all google users

I feel as though it all depends on your usage of keywords. I prefer Yahoo, because when I type in a key phrase the way I think it would be formatted in context of a website... and when I do the same for Google, I get a bunch of unrelated stuff.Image search in Yahoo is nicer. Anytime people i know are looking for a specific image in Google, and they ask me to help, I do a search in Yahoo and find it almost instantly.The smart thing, and of course this is what I do, is to utilize the benefits of both Google and Yahoo. I mean why choose just one?? ;)

Google does give imho the best search results, but that doesn't mean the Yahoo search results are bad. Whether I use googl or yahoo, in the end I do find what I want

most people give their websites to the most search sites they can...but the primary is google cause most people use it and aging it's the best..use google and be prod that it exists ;)

I just may be totally Google bias, because that seems to be all that I use... It is in the corner of the Firefox browser, so it is just asking to be used, and so I do.I just got used to how to maneuver the tags, and can tell when Large, Med or Small pics are a necessity. Whether it be image or web, now it seems that if it is a popular response that it will pull up like music artist sites, or albums... and such... Pretty convenient.

google is way better, sometimes you get a lot of spam in yahoo coz a lot of sites do the black hat seo and it takes yahoo quite a bit of time to catch it, there is a reason that google is the biggest search engine in the world

As it been said, the best alternative is to use both, google usually has some kind of an AI? or it gives the results it thinks I am searching and doesn't even include the word I am searching, only tries to give the best results it gives, this is the new way it works, sometimes, it shows stupid stuff, sites with high page rank which isn't even related and I need to browse the 3 page to find something, and when I do a search with yahoo with the same keywords, I can get that site on the first page, this is how the old google worked, besides it seems that google doesn't index everything anymore as it used too, due to earlier I could copy paste some text from a site and it would be in the first place, no it usually "not found" or some stupid websites where not all my written words are included and moreover, yahoo does find it, so I think it's best to use both..

I use Google, however, that is because it is my Firefox homepage. I guess if Yahoo was set as my Homepage and it was quicker and minimalistic like Google I would use it more. However, the results are usually similar, so I don't think it matters which one you chose to use.

Well, I prefer Google for several reasons:

(one) The Google homepage loads a lot faster than the Yahoo one does. This is instrumental if I'm doing a quick search--I'm not interested in spending a lot of time staring at the webpage's news (or even ad)-filled content. Google gets to its point faster than Yahoo, so I'd much rather stick to a service provider that doesn't attempt to distract me.

(two) Google usually returns better results than Yahoo. Granted, a lot of general searches do return the same results, but usually, hidden towards the end of the first or beginning of the second page, there's some gem that Google included that Yahoo did not. Of course, what maybe be useful to one user may be detrimental to the next.

Yahoo's homepage, for instance, offers search suggestions the same way that experiment in Google Labs did. Evidently the Labs experiment never made it onto the Google homepage, which I find to be a good thing. It's not so much that the suggestion feature was bad, on the contrary, it is quite nice. However, putting it on the homepage makes search for a single word (or even a part of a word if you are a slow typer) an annoying task as I wait for the search suggestions to load. I know this was all done with good intentions, but slowing down its own homepage when one of the most valued things about search is speed (or getting to the result!) is a bad idea. I want to get to my result quickly, not sit around and wait for things to load.

However, once you start searching, I believe Yahoo's drop down menu of search terms related to the original search query is quite useful. My only balk is at the drop down menu--there really is no need to use excessive amounts of javascript (especially since the drop down was animated quite smoothly too...) as that just slows things down. Why can't Yahoo just plug the newly suggested search terms at the bottom of the search results page so that it is neither disruptive nor non-existent? I know Baidu does this and believe it works quite effectively without hogging the user's computer's resources.

(three) This has nothing to do with search and everything to do with flexibility. Google's search can be used as a calculator. For instance:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2ln(3)%2Bsin(pi) - 2ln(3)+sin(pi) = 2.19722458
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=5amp;btnG=Search - 5ft/s to km/hr - 5 (ft / s) = 5.4864 km / hr

Incidentally, I tend to use Google's search box for calculations as well (usually simple arithmetic, but I've also found the units conversion to be especially useful when I'm working on physics. Yahoo, unfortunately, does not integrate this ability with its search. Though this doesn't technically degrade the quality of Yahoo's search, it does mean that I won't pick it as my search engine of choice for my browser since it isn't quite as flexible as Google. After all, why wouldn't I want that search box in the browser to be usable as both a calculator and a search engine?

Well, people use google WAY more than yahoo does, so if u want ur site to be on google search and b crawled upon, it will take weeks and weeks to get crawled, yahoo however, is less used by users so getting ur site to b crawled in yahoo search is way quicker, so if u want to just search, ill choose google, but if u want ur site to be in results, ill choose yahoo...

Edited by DriftDevil (see edit history)