xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Server Overloads

Alright, this is becoming a major problem. For the past few days, the Gamma server has been overloading a lot. The server has reached a load peak of 14.92 thus disabling services like PHP, CGI and have even shut down MySQL once. This is as big of a problem as XBOX Live having problems from the past few days.

At the time of writing, Gamma's httpd has crashed.

Posted Image

Just as a suggestion, Xisto needs to update the HTTP server software, Apache 1.3.33 is ancient. The latest stable version is 2.2.6.

xboxrulz

oh god do they really have a version of apache that old?ever since the sunday before christmas ive been having problems with my hosting. like my ip had been banned or something from the firewall.other than that just a bit of down time. yesterday i had some problems. im hoping for the next hour or too theres nothing wrong because im about to try and upload joomla... again :l

well, I have been having these problems for 2-3 days straight and these things shouldn't happen if the server wasn't that crowded.and yes, it is THAT ancient.I love Xisto, but please, this is ridiculous!At the time of writing now, the server went down again.xboxrulz

yeah mysql isnt working and pages are taking like 5 minutes to load.i really like ths community, i dont want to buy hosting and leave really.

At this time, my site is working. cPanel is up and MySQL databases are accessible.That version of Apache is unstable as well as really old. Please upgrade!Is there a suspicious cause of server overloading? Too many users? Cracked accounts? Sites becoming too popular? Heavy MySQL use?

Apache HTTP 1.3 is the most reliable till date. Check out the servers in market which still run 1.3 and you will be surprised by the figures.I employ the versions on the servers keeping in mind about your needs and requirements. From security to performance, keeping everything running smoothly is not as easy as it sounds. If Apache 1.3 features have ever disturbed you, please let me know. Linux is an Open Source OS and I cannot expect Big time support for it. Any kernel failures, syncing issue, memory leaks/blocks due to semaphores causing my server to restart will then be an even bigger issue. The CPanel software used to manage servers themselves never supported Apache 2.0. Until recently hardly 2 months back. Upgrading these softwares hardly takes any time. But the havoc they cause later is what I have to think about :-) Trust me, I got a good experienced team and people with expertise to guide me in this business. So, you guys are enjoying features walking on the safe side. And we all know how prone is free hosting to abuse. So, if things are running smoothly, its definitely an achievement for all of us. :-)Please report load spikes to Live Support Team at https://xisto.com/. Because these issues need to be checked immediately (in real time).

Yeah, I wanted to say that an upgrade isn't necessary, Apache 1.3.x is a very good httpd server, usually the server has more problems using Apache 2.x.x do to different modules and stuff.By the way, apache 1.3 isn't so ancient, even though it was released a long time ago, but Apache 1.3.39 was released in 2007 September 7, so it was ~4 months ago.. the main thing it works as it needs to work. ^_^

Out of idle curiousity, how much should the server load fluctuate over a short period of time? As I speak it's comfortably sitting between 0.10 and 0.20, but even a few minutes ago I saw 0.95 there. Sure, at the time it could have been doing so complicated little routine or running a nasty application, but going from almost ticking-over to nigh-on full blast just doesn't sit well with me, especially considering the time of day (1230-ish GMT), which isn't exactly "peak" time (in my experience, although I could be wrong).That said, I barely noticed anything wrong with the gamma server (other than being a little on the slow side) in recent days, but I'm not really using my hosting for anything major right now, nor overly public (so it's not receiving much traffic), for that matter.

Edited by Mordent (see edit history)

Apache HTTP 1.3 is the most reliable till date. Check out the servers in market which still run 1.3 and you will be surprised by the figures.
I employ the versions on the servers keeping in mind about your needs and requirements. From security to performance, keeping everything running smoothly is not as easy as it sounds. If Apache 1.3 features have ever disturbed you, please let me know. Linux is an Open Source OS and I cannot expect Big time support for it. Any kernel failures, syncing issue, memory leaks/blocks due to semaphores causing my server to restart will then be an even bigger issue.

The CPanel software used to manage servers themselves never supported Apache 2.0. Until recently hardly 2 months back. Upgrading these softwares hardly takes any time. But the havoc they cause later is what I have to think about :-) Trust me, I got a good experienced team and people with expertise to guide me in this business. So, you guys are enjoying features walking on the safe side. And we all know how prone is free hosting to abuse. So, if things are running smoothly, its definitely an achievement for all of us. :-)

Please report load spikes to Live Support Team at https://xisto.com/. Because these issues need to be checked immediately (in real time).

Alright, thanks for the heads up. That's very reasonable, so I guess we don't need to upgrade. However, the load spikes still frustrates me a lot.

xboxrulz