xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Habtastic

Vista Drives Me Up The Wall

Im really mad at my Windows Vista Home Premium. Below are a list of problems i encounter:- Security question for ever dang thing i open- Doesnt Auto Run CD- Windows Media Centre is the worst- Half my games barley work - Security update every 5 mins- Takes ages for my computer to acutally close down- takes up alot of computer useage for just one documentGranted that some of those are not related to Vista but there must something that can help me.Thanks

If your games DO NOT work. Try enabling them to run in Administrator mode.Furthermore, make sure your system is capable of running Vista in the first place. It is recommended to have 1GB of RAM and at least a 2 GHz processor (single core).xboxrulz

1gb is the absolute minimum, at the moment windows has only 1033Mb memory left out of 2048... (okay, I'm running a big Java application, but it's comparable to 2 non-java apps :rolleyes: ) and I even have a lot of useless vista stuff disabled (like the Aero interface).Habtastic, you can disable all the annoyances of vista.First thing you can disable is UAC, go to the control panel > useracount. You'll find a link to 'disable user account control' (or whatever it's called in english :P ), click it and disable it :) (you'll need to reboot before it's disabled)Next thing you could disable is the security center:Go to control panel > security center. Somehwere overthere you'll find a link with options regarding the messages, the icon of security center (long time ago I've disabled it B) ). Anyway, you can set it to not notify you about security issues and even remove the security center icon from the system tray).If you now what you're doing, you could try disableing some useless services (there are a lot of them, but be carefull since some useless services will put vista in 'limited mode' if you disable them (one of them is readyboos) :P .

1gb is the absolute minimum, at the moment windows has only 1033Mb memory left out of 2048... (okay, I'm running a big Java application, but it's comparable to 2 non-java apps :rolleyes: ) and I even have a lot of useless vista stuff disabled (like the Aero interface).

Habtastic, you can disable all the annoyances of vista.

First thing you can disable is UAC, go to the control panel > useracount. You'll find a link to 'disable user account control' (or whatever it's called in english :P ), click it and disable it :) (you'll need to reboot before it's disabled)

Next thing you could disable is the security center:

Go to control panel > security center. Somehwere overthere you'll find a link with options regarding the messages, the icon of security center (long time ago I've disabled it B) ). Anyway, you can set it to not notify you about security issues and even remove the security center icon from the system tray).

If you now what you're doing, you could try disableing some useless services (there are a lot of them, but be carefull since some useless services will put vista in 'limited mode' if you disable them (one of them is readyboos) :P .

It IS HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED to turn off Windows Vista's UAC. It's the heart of its security system (yes it can be flawed at times). Please run your games via administrator's mode (can be set in the application's executable's properties menu).

It is also recommended to disable useless services.

xboxrulz

Send report for all the problems ... the more reports sent the more updates will come ;) thats the way it works...Though I still read some positive feedbacks for this OS...the worse is to come - when other software producers will make their stuff running only on the last version of this OS...

It IS HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED to turn off Windows Vista's UAC. It's the heart of its security system (yes it can be flawed at times). Please run your games via administrator's mode (can be set in the application's executable's properties menu).

It is also recommended to disable useless services.

xboxrulz

Windows UAC is the most crappy security system that exists. After a while (and I'm talking in hours, not days or weeks) you simple click it the UAC messages away without even reading them. Also, I can't accept the fact that it blocks my computer and isn't able to get focus ...

Sorry to say this, but if you know what you're doing then it's useless, if you don't know what you're doing then it's just scaring people because they don't know what's happening.

Anyway, I've never been fond about the windows security systems, that why I'm still running XP SP1 ;) (I know what I do and I don't need to confirm everything I do, not in realy life, not on my pc).

Windows UAC is the most crappy security system that exists. After a while (and I'm talking in hours, not days or weeks) you simple click it the UAC messages away without even reading them.

Ive noticed that I do that sometimes now, I already know which application I've just opened, I don't want to say yes twice ;)
http://tweaks.com/ has a good list of Vista services that you can disable. It has details about each service, but I would recommend that you know what you're doing before you try this. You don't want to be disabling all the wrong things.

Another good way of speeding up Vista is to remove some of the Visual Effects. Goto Control Panel > Performance Info and Tools > Adjust visual effects and untick the options that you don't want. I still wanted to keep the aero effects, so I left those options on, other stuff like animating windows and shadows, I turned off.

Windows UAC is the most crappy security system that exists. After a while (and I'm talking in hours, not days or weeks) you simple click it the UAC messages away without even reading them. Also, I can't accept the fact that it blocks my computer and isn't able to get focus ... Sorry to say this, but if you know what you're doing then it's useless, if you don't know what you're doing then it's just scaring people because they don't know what's happening.

Anyway, I've never been fond about the windows security systems, that why I'm still running XP SP1 ;) (I know what I do and I don't need to confirm everything I do, not in realy life, not on my pc).

Ya, UAC can get really crappy. I just leave it on because I rather not make a mistake. I'm very cautious with my computer and have a fair amount of experience with many different operating system security mechanisms. However, I turn it on just in case and it doesn't bother me. It's just an annoying version of UNIX's sudo or su security system.

However, I highly recommend you to keep it on unless you consider yourself an intermediate user in Windows and you don't see yourself screwing up. There isn't really a reason to turn off UAC unless you find it really annoying because most software (and mainly games) work with UAC now.

xboxrulz

Some things I look forward to having Windows Vista are:- Windows Aero (well if it is too slow, then I might turn it down a little)- User Account Control (the main reason I want to experience Vista)Yes, I love user account control. I use Ubuntu and the password prompt is the best thing in it for me. If there is any way of making it appear more often, I'd definitely do that.