xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Synchronization Software Please express some ideas

I am working on a project with files at different locations, some duplicates. I want it to be synchronized to the newest version available (most recent version) at most places, here are where my files are scattered across:1. FAT32 partitionRead by Linux and Windows, I do most of my file editing from home on this partition. It is accessible at home only.2. USB Flash DriveFor editing at school, I edit the files on this drive.3. Server (at Xisto)This is accessed using File Manager at home and at school. I can upload files conveniently here from home (see next point). The files are for testing purposes of PHP, they are publicly viewable as a preview of what is going to be on the live server.4. Live Server (at school)Accessed by Telnet, this server can only be accessed at school computers. A firewall (both on the Linux server and also the general firewall) prevents any connection to it from other locations. I use FTP to upload files there, it is where the site is publicly viewable.So obviously it is going to be hard to synchronize and keep track of the different version of files here. #3 is always going to be a bit newer than #4, because that's what I call a "beta preview". The files on #2 may be a bit older than #1. I want them to be synchronized to the newest versions.Anything to help me do this without manually checking every Date Modified field manually?

the simple solution would be to work on the files (at home or school) and then when you are finished upload them to the server (then the server and usb/home partition will be the same as the server version). then when the 'beta' preview is ready to go, upload it to the live server.

I am actually avoiding using the BETA server now and doing most of my editing on the USB flash drive.Does anyone know how to run XAMPP that can act as a server, but does not allow inbound connections on port 80? Or basically I need PHP commands to execute when I open them in the browser.

You could use SyncToy to sync the data between #1 and #2 . It's a bit crappy sometimes, but it always does a good synchronisation. It checks the modified date stamp and if you want it can also check the file content for changes (some programs have the habbit of changing the modified data stamp when they open a file B) ).

For #3, if you use FileZilla to upload your data, you can set it to only upload a file if it's newer.

Number #4; since you probably don't access it too often and probably contains only outdated data I'd say you just copy everything to it from time to time :rolleyes: .

About XAMMP, check the httpd.conf file.
Using the line

Listen 80
you can change the port on which the server listens.

I don't know if this works, but maybe if you change
ServerName 192.168.10.1:80
to
ServerName 127.0.0.1:80

then the server might only work on your computer.