xisto Community
Skalman

Sql Db

Hi! i did find a host with php and so, but it didnt have a database! Do i have to have the sql database on my host, or could i use someone else to host my sql database?! If yes, Does somebody know a good place fr free sql db hosting? I dont want to host it myself, so i need a online host to do it for me! Pls dont come with stupid aswers, i got enogh of them.................................Glad for any answers!

Yes, you can, you could use someone else host to your database and remotely access it, but is much better that both of them are located at the same place.

Also it is possibly that you could get some connections errors and timeouts if you access in this way your database.

Take a look to this topics for some related information:

Remote Databases

Can I Remotely Access Xisto MySQL DBs?, Remote Access???

Free Mysql Server Sites

If you can wait visit db4free.net - The databases for free project website.

BTW, why don't you change to Xisto????

Best regards,

Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

I don't recommend using some other providers database, because you're pages would load rather slowly. The ping between the web server and the database server would be too big. You can find a bunch of free hosts that offer mysql databases.

I agree with the others, local is the way to go.I know there are some good reasons for going external, but it is far reliable to have a smuch as possible in the same spot.

If you can do local, as is stated by others, it is the better method. Also, depending on the SQL setup, I believe it is possible to prevent non-local connections, so assuming a remote DB connection will work when you don't have complete control over the SQL setup is not a good idea. However, remote connections are used by large companies that maintain servers devoted solely to DB work.~Viz

It depends. For most people's websites and webservers, local is best. I use both. I have a box that is just a database server in my office (to test remote connections) but usually I am developing on a machine with it on localhost. (Either via WAMP or a custom FreeBSD I use to boot from thumbdrive.) However, there are cases where you have to scale. My day job's site currently is on a cluster. It has 4 webservers on a load balancer connected to a MySQL database (a rather beefy Quadcore machine with 8GB of ram), a seperate file server, an Xserve for Quicktime media streaming, and two boxes that just handle email. (One from the server and one for us employees). (Also we have another box as a backup on standby incase the main database fails for whatever reason. Fortunatelly that is all done through a managed service. We pay out the rear for it, but not as much as it would cost to open our own datacenter and hire a full time networking staff. Maybe someday, but for now we're just working on the programming and business development side of things. Granted, We're average a concurrent server load of between 2500 - 12000 users at any given time. So it's a little different situation.