xisto Community
better

Best Software For Creating Games

For the 3d side of things (forgetting price at the moment) i'd go for 3ds max which has a nice set of features for anything you are modeling as well as it is supported in quite a large range of game SDKs (which is a big plus, it's simply plug and play editing).The downside though - price. It costs loads, so if cost is the issue maya might be better, it's been a while since i've checked prices on 3d software but yeah. There should also be some free 3d programs around there somewhere. Actually you could see if you can grab a copy of gmax - made by the same company as 3ds max but they've dropped support for it, it has been made especially for game design so have a search and you could grab a copy, it's free too.-HellFire

This would be way cool wish i could make games it would be so hard to make a game about rune scape or Habbo but its like way way hard lolCheers

For the 3d side of things (forgetting price at the moment) i'd go for 3ds max which has a nice set of features for anything you are modeling as well as it is supported in quite a large range of game SDKs (which is a big plus, it's simply plug and play editing).The downside though - price. It costs loads, so if cost is the issue maya might be better, it's been a while since i've checked prices on 3d software but yeah.
There should also be some free 3d programs around there somewhere.
Actually you could see if you can grab a copy of gmax - made by the same company as 3ds max but they've dropped support for it, it has been made especially for game design so have a search and you could grab a copy, it's free too.

-HellFire

I would have to say the same as hellfire both are great programs. But dont rule out Cinema 4D to much release 10 is looking quite promising. (sorry for the misspelling.)

There is one called bryceWikipedia:"Bryce is a 3D modeling, rendering and animation program specializing in fractal landscapes. The name is taken from Bryce Canyon — a rugged region with many of the same landscapes that were first simulated with the software"Best for maps i think.For characters i think you should use Max or Maya, but if you want to integrate ur models into a programe try finding something that support a known format that is easily parsed, or you'd have to buy a converter to do so...

I've always wanted to get into making video games since I was a kid. I never followed up with it. There were to many interruptions in my life. I remember try to draw SNES characters on a Powerbook and using Paint on Windows. I tried making little GIF animations. Then i took some auto cad classes in high school and community college. I found out you can create models in that. It is time consuming. Especially when you want to make a mesh a certain way. What confused me was the X, Y, Z coordinate system and plane you are working in. I kind of got the hang of it but when it came to applying textures I could never get it to show up correctly. It also does solid models. I used a photo map of my town and inserted it in the program and made measurements of landmarks. I then created the roads, and points for areas of interest, and added text on different layers. I have been using this map and slowly adding on to it over the years. I know where my friends live. Were the WiFi's are. Marketing for my clients. Running trails. I recently made a 3D mesh to represent a nearby Hill by estimating elevations. Now I'm trying to figure out how to convert it to a coordinate system and figure out how to export a Garmin GPS to a format where I can upload waypoints, tracks, and other data. I I've heard of Maya, Bryce, 3D, Softimage. There are others but I've forgot the rest.I don't have the budget to purchase expensive suites - let alone the time to stumble in the dark. I was wondering if there any free 3d software out there. I would be cool if we can get a list going and figure out what formats they can be exported to, to be suitable for video games creation. And maybe some sort of scale as to what to start with, how easy it is to learn and what to learn next. Also the prerequisites for setting up a development PC.

Making 3-d animations is so cool but its hard work. I hear what you all are saying some of the prices for these programs is insane. Has anyone here checked out "Bender" its a 3-d animation program. I like it and its free which is a plus, and if you get the hang of it you can add all the things you were talking about, you know making games and maps. "bender" can do those things and if you need help using it there are load of tutorials, but I do like the plug and play feature that was talked about earlier with 3-d max... Not sure if that is just like a easier way to make a character or map as in pre-made with your specifications, i don't know. I will need to look into this as i to want to make game.I have always wanted to do that. Someone gave me the advice that I should make game in flash as its not to hard and it involves coding and a lot of this can be used to make 3-d characters. They said that you should try making a game in flash and if you get good and like the work think about doing the 3-d game thing. This was good advice as you will see if you got what it take and the determination to make it happen. Another thing was that making a game cost a lot of money and time. If you start now it will take you a few years to get a game started let alone for it to be playable or useable. I would love to make game but I doubt I will be able too. i rather just pay to have a game made. Which is the option i will lean too soon, once I get my other project together and have my money saved up to make the game i want a reality.Anyways good luck with making a game and if you get good or want to work together we can. i still want to do it and they say tow brains are better the one. If we learn together we can learn faster. Money is not an issue so I wouldnt mind buying that 3-d max software to make maps and characters. Well ok that is it for now,peace out yall,-JohnNitro

The absolute best is a C/++ compilier. To make games properly you should learn a language like C++. There are millions of free guides and compiliers.

Anyways good luck with making a game and if you get good or want to work together we can. i still want to do it and they say tow brains are better the one. If we learn together we can learn faster. Money is not an issue so I wouldnt mind buying that 3-d max software to make maps and characters.

Hey while were at it and if money is not an issue for you I could use some new software and a better pc to help make games. :mellow:

Anyways good luck with making a game and if you get good or want to work together we can. i still want to do it and they say tow brains are better the one. If we learn together we can learn faster. Money is not an issue so I wouldnt mind buying that 3-d max software to make maps and characters.

Hey while were at it and if money is not an issue for you I could use some new software and a better pc to help make games. :mellow:

i think the most portable software for creating game (map texture ) is maya and 3ds maxfor maya you can modeling quickly as you want and then export model to uvlayout the application for layout 3d or uvw then take the uvw finish export it to psd(photoshop document) and then paint it then you go to maya render it is finish so enjoy the step.

Edited by iepbunleng016 (see edit history)

A Helping Hand In MayaBest Software For Creating Games

Hello. I've recently purchased Maya 8.5 Complete edition. I'm totally new to 3d modelling. But I'm a veteran in C++ coding, doing it from my age of 6. Can you kindly refer me to some, books of tutorials that will guide me in making a 3d game or animation movie in Maya? Thankyou... I'm waiting for your reply guys... :-)

-question by Lord Voldemort

i dont know what to do ore what to get guysBest Software For Creating Games

hi I want to make a game but I don't know were the best place is to get it and is blender3D/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley5.Gif good or not?

-reply by bort

If you want to make FPS (First Person Shooter) games then I suggest FPS Creator

It's great for novices and amazing for advanced users. I use this quite a lot and have released several games myself. I've also released quite a few model packs on the forums which have proven to be very popular, the best probably being a complete pool hall set, including the segments used to make the building itself.

There are tonnes of free models, loads of pre-made model packs you can buy from the company or you can just make everything yourself.

To quote the about page on the main site:

Over three years in development FPS Creator sets a new benchmark in the game creation market by providing an easy-to-use yet highly flexible editing environment. As its name implies this is a tool for creating action-packed FPS games with no programming or 3D modelling knowledge required.

Posted Image

Using an intuitive and visual Windows interface you literally paint your game world into the scene. A vast range of 3D elements are included allowing you to paint hallways, corridors, gantries, walls, doors, access tunnels, ceilings, lifts, transporters, stairs and more. Segments intelligently attach themselves to each other - paint two corridor pieces side-by-side and they'll snap together seamlessly. Switch to 3D mode and you drop in on your scene for pixel perfect placement of 3D entities. Place a light-switch on the wall and it'll intelligently control the dynamic lighting in the room.

Key Features

* Create First Person Shooter games quickly and easily

* Use intelligent building blocks to create game levels

* No programming necessary

* Open design allows for endless possibilities

* Import your own media (sounds, 3D models, textures, shaders)

* One click and FPS Creator builds you a final stand alone exe file

* 3D Engine supporting Direct X9.0c

* Virtually every single aspect of the game is controlled via script files you can edit

* 90+ page manual, fully searchable and printer ready in PDF format

Hundreds of 3D Objects included

We appreciate that not everyone has the skill to create their own 3D content before starting to build a game - which is why FPS Creator comes with two theme packs: Sci-fi and World War 2.

There are over 300 segment building blocks included, over 500 entity objects (such as desk lamps, health packs, crates), 62 different fully animated enemies, 36 weapons and 66 different AI scripts to control them all.

The manual also includes guides on importing your own media to create prefabs, weapons, segments and entities. You don't have to use the 3D objects we have given you, adding your own is quick and easy. Changing the textures the models use is just as painless, so you could take one of the supplied barrel models and re-texture it to create any number of them all in your own style.

More Features

* Fully Windows based editing environment

* Complete Physics System under your control

* Internet and LAN Death Match style games supported

* Classic FPS game experience

* Create multi-level games (up to 50 levels)

* Visual Waypoint editing, enemies can follow multiple waypoints

* Built-in game optimisation profiler analyses frame rates, poly counts and more

* Easy editing of game element's settings

* Game elements include, weapons, ammo, enemies, picks ups, lifts, teleports, ladders, trigger points

* Game menu editing facilities

* Pick up weapons from dead enemies

* Optional Pixel shader support

* AI scripting language for total freedom to customise

* Set texture quality and effect levels

* Cube mapping effects

* Automatic 3D Universe construction

* PVS - Portal visibility system (for fast rendering of scenes)

* Automatic Light Mapping (quick and full)

* Small game files are easily swapped

* Map segments "click together" - you can literally draw your levels

* Dynamic and Static lights illuminate your game

* Animated decals for fire, smoke, water, blood splats, etc

* Keyboard short-cuts to most popular commands for fast development

* Players can hold up to 9 different weapons at once

* Guns include optional sniper zoom mode

* Crouch, Run, Lean left / right, Jump and full mouse-look available

I LOVE this software tonnes, and when I bought it there was a special offer on (not sure if its still on now though) where I paid $20 for the software (which they mailed to me) and I got the first 7 model packs for free too.

You REALLY need to try this software out if you're wanting to get in to game design!

Maya is great but it is very costly. I would recommend Blender3D as it can potentially produce high-quality stuff. You would also have to learn a language such as Python or C++. You can export your 3D projects into 3D engines and work from there.