xisto Community
better

Best Software For Creating Games

Depends on what types of games you are aiming for. If you are trying to go for full wedged console games, that I do not think one solid program will do the trick. Though, if you are looking to make a simple computer game of sorts then there is a program called Game Maker (it's free) that can do it for you. The games are pretty simple, but like I said if that's what you are going for then that will do the trick ;)

I would recommend using something free but informative to learn the basics, if you need an engine or software try Source or Unity.used both of them, loved themif you are more experienced in 3d modeling try maya and 3ds max, both work fine for that.if you're an expert then I would recommend Blender, free but very advancedand if you're goo enough your game will be perfect in every way.that's how I did it anyway, this was my advice.Jim Out :)

Well as mentioned here, FPS creator looks good and there are lots of features which will make game creation easy process. Not sure how production level games can be created. But will take a look for that one. Besides that garage games have good IDE and products for game development. Not affordable for some people but if any serious developer wants to get into gaming then garage games have some builder products that can be used for production level games.

other than garage games, there are some 2D frameworks which make it easy to develop games. C# is used heavily in most of these games these days.

Almost forgot that there is gamemaker and some game creators like game maker. I'll post about it soon.

I used FPS Creator heavily before I got in to PHP programming, and intend to return to a few unfinished projects after I've finished my latest php project. I released a model pack for the DX9 version of fps creator which you can view here https://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_158593&b=24. It proved to be quite popular and is 100% free for download. I used Milkshape to create the models and JASC paintshop pro to create the textures. This is a prime example of how easy it is to create your own 3d levels for your own first person shooter game.

There is a massive community on the forums i've posted above, and many people out there creating their own free model packs for you to use with fpsc and I highly recommend a lot of them. You can ultimately create a game similar to the popular Halo series (only the debate surrounding vehicles and intigration is still very hazy). One person even created a series of mini drones (high quality models and textures too) which can either act as enemies or you can set the to either follow you and attack enemies or control them via remote control. They come with fully animated wheels and weapons and the weapons sit on top of the drones with realistic movement and firing mechanisms.

I was in the middle of creating a sewer pack to release for free to the community as well however I never really got around to finishing it before i moved on to another project. I would have released what I had already however I don't like releasing things unfinished lol

The main thing to remember about creating games is, there is no universal format for 3D worlds. Each game uses a different 3D engine and so it is highly unlikely you will be able to port from one to another. There are several main points that you MUST follow when creating a game, you can't just wake up, decide you are going to make a game then create a 3D world in a modelling program, that never works.

The points that must be followed for creating a 3D game are:

Decide what style of game it is you are going to make

Once you have decided on a style (First Person Shooter, RPG, etc) then you need to choose which engine you are going to use (Blizzard, Blender, Leadwerks, etc)

Now you need to search for any software out there specifically designed to work with this engine

Once you have your style, engine and software you now need to select a 3D modelling program to create your models and advanced graphics software that supports alpha channels

Finally it is HIGHLY recommended that you download the DirectX software developers kit (SDK) from the Microsoft website. This will help you with converting meshes and textures, viewing and testing animations and so on and will automatically provide you with a license to re-distribute DirectX meshes.

If you follow the above points then you will be well on your way to creating your very own 3D game. If you are wanting to create a game that has a low poly count (polys are the individual points used to construct 3D models) like the first two Halo games have, then I recommend using Milkshape as your 3D modelling software. It is very cheap and probably the most versatile and user-friendly software of its class. You can use software such as 3DS Max or Maya however the cost definately does not justify the means, and the extent these software packages go to with features is completely unnecessary.

If you are not wanting to create a first person shooter game but instead want to create a 3D world such as World of Warcraft then another great software package is Realm Crafter. It uses the same engine as WoW (Blizzard) and allows you to easily create your own 3D world without extensive programming knowledge. The software is a little unstable but they are slowly working out all the bugs.

If you want to go a little more old skool and not create some great 3D game then I would go for Adventure Game Studio (adventuregamestudio.co.uk). I used to use this a few years ago. It's incredible for create 2D point and click adventure games like the early Sierra games. Also, there is a website called Reality On The Norm that I used to make games for. It is basically a community (which has died a slow and painful death in terms of activity) which adds a new portion to the current storyline. The first game in the series follows a young wizard who is killed in an accident and his girlfriend is trying to solve the mystery of his death. The whole thing is set in the town of RON (Reality-on-the-norm) where the mayor is a decaying zombie ressurected from the dead, the local restaurant is run by an italian chef and his constantly naked brother Guido, the local mad scientist Dr strangelove, Mika the inquisitive journalist, Phil Nihilist the local yahtzeebrand store clerk (brainwashed as are all yahtzeebrand staff), Melt and Drake the Jay and SilentBob of RON, and so many more characters. Fantastic series of games with some amazing storylines and many, many, many games to choose from and play. I recommend starting from the beginning (and don't forget to vote for my games too :)).

I have made some simple games in java but I have not tried to delve into really hard to make 3d games. I know a lot of my friends have used C++ to make games but I have never used C++ so I dont know whether it is the best language to use or not. I know C so I imagine C++ can't be too much different but like I said I just haven't tried it. Anyway, I hope this input helps some.

OF course UDK and u3d are the best game development kit nowdays.They both provide indie license and totally free for you.In my opnion , UDK is better in performance but it is more confusing. whereas u3d is easy .

Unity 3D may look like free but it has some limitations and that means you can't sell the games. So games need to be in open source model. This way profit is likely to be stopped and you'll find rip off users making clones easily. So in order to avoid that you need to upgrade the license be it Unity 3D or UDK (unity development kit). Another issue is that there needs to be runtime development environment which also requires its presence on client machines. Be it browser game or desktop, without that runtime there is no way it will run the game. SO you should choose alternative game development IDE. IDE which is not dependent on any external or in house plugin for members to download. If that becomes possible with simple C++/Python then i guess there is no issue with the games. So instead of using closed source game development kit, make sure you're more open on customer front and dont stick them with options like runtime environment.