xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mink

What Do You Like In An Rpg Collecting opinions

We have an RPG that we are about ready to market, and I want to know what the opinion of those out there that play pencil and paper RPG's think is the most important points that should be addressed when writing a manual for an RPG.Have you ever had something that just totally did not explain the system to you, or have you seen something in the manual that you just knew you could do better?Let me know, we want to make sure that our manual is as clear and easy to read as possible. So much so that even if you hate our game you know how to play it.Thanks a bunch in advanceMink

Wow, N0N4M3, that came out of nowhere. (Can't help you though, sorry)What are the most important points? Well, for one you must clearly state ifthe system is based off of d20 or d&d because they've been dominating theindustry for who knows how long. Also, a "for those who've played d&d..." sectionwould help those of us who want to try it out.Stress the combat system and classes in your manual, I can't tell you how longI've been looking through stuff to figure that out by myself in most pencil & papergames I've looked at. I know it's basic, but in a good system, it's usually complex. Feats and spells and skills are easy stuff generally.Do you have a link to your manual or can we not see it? I mean we could tell youwhat to improve if we could see it :) By the way, I don't know if your license allowsfor this, but allowing sites to create explanations and intros for this type of thing wouldbe helpful.Take note, I've never seen played with another DM (guy who controls the game), so some of this stuff might seem odd to you, but then again, when your game comes out, there'll be no DM to start with!

Final Fantasy X- What i liked in this game was that it is long and fun. Also the great story added to it is good to play for and all the special items and features in it.

What I need in P&P rpg manuals is a good structure in the book. start with an example of a dialog of something fun that happens in a game. Just to get the players / dm exited.put some background in it, like the world, how it became to what it is now. and clear text is a must. also use clear tables with data. very handy to have.thats my 2 cents...

Is this an MMORPG or an offline RPG?I think in MMO's it's not so important to have a manual, as a lot can be learned online, through tutorial quest kinda things, which can also be done in an offline RPG, but usually ends up being a bit of a bore..I think a nice background to the story, even if it is introduced at the beginning of the game, something in words never hurts, though it doesn't need to be extremely long. There should be detailed instructions on all the menu functions. I swear a whole heap of RPG's I've played I haven't used the equip or whatever functions to their full potential because either - 1. The game hasn't given an ingame tutorial yet, 2. The ingame tutorial made no sense. Thus something clear which explicitly states how to do *this* and *this* is important.Some rundown on items would be nice too. I hate it when I don't know what an item does and I end up having to use it just to see what the hell it is.

What i look for in a great rpg is a good storyline, lots of magic and summons to learn, characters that are good (i.e have good looks, personality and style), lots of side quests and mini games, lots of weapons and items to collect. plenty of secrets. also a story line is not good without something really dramatic happening so thats god to have in an rpg.

The best thing I think there is in an rpg is a big and funny world to explore, with much quests, lots of weapons / spells / magic, a strong community supporting it and nice graphics are always good

Hrm... What do I like in an RPG? Well a Cool character with some awesome moves is a must, and other playable characters. Awesome landscapes and music also attracts players plus the graphics helps but if the game is good then its not needed. A good plot line is also a must, a game is no good if the plot is no good.Hope this helps!

Ok here is a list on what I like to see:-Well developed story line-Well developed heroes/villans-Good NPC's-Puzzles-Mini Games-Action-Adventure-Good Boss fights-hidden weapons-air ships or some transportaion device-finally that unbeatable boss near the end of the game that blocks the final boss.Thats just what I like lol

P&P rpg's have always been a favorite of mine from D&D to Gurps and Vampire the Masquerade. I have never really had a problem with the "guidelines" they layout as in an RPG for pencil and paper the ruleset is always just a guideline not a definitive have to do it this way or else. I think that is one of the reasons D&D caught on so easily was the guidlines that were suggested but not necassary as you could reconfigure it to your playing style and things such as that.Anytime something is set in stone as in has to be done this or that it has a tendancy to not go off big with people because they then can't really modify for them and their friends playing styles. If you go with direct guideline that has to be followed give thorough reasons and explanations / examples as to why.Otherwise show the usage you had while developing it and give an example in the manual. Make sure the classes, skills/abilities/feats whatever you called them are easily understandable so that someone who seems to lack common sense can grasp what needs/is done to achieve these.If you want, I will gladly proofread it from the aspect of a long time running P&P rpg player and dm. Let me know via pm on the board here or in email trystim@gmail.com and make sure to make the subject something noticable to avoid deletion lol.Good luck hope to hear about it soon.

I think the most important variables to consider in a P&P RPG are the combat system and character class limitations.A combat system must be advanced enough to add some depth to the encounters, yet still be simple enough to teach new players within an hour or two. There is nothing I hate more than playing a game I am new to, and spending the first three gaming sessions just learning the combat system. A simple d6 system similar to the Star Wars system is easy to learn and easy to use. In my opinion it is the easiest system to learn that I have encountered thus far.Other than the combat system, a good RPG should focus heavily on the character classes. It is very annoying to be playing (d&d example) a fighter class character who should be the strongest of the party who gets beat up by a thief or mage or cleric just because the DM or the system allows these character classes to have a strength stat that is equal to or better than the fighter. Make sure each class really does specialize in one field only. And never EVER allow dual class or triple class characters. That just makes it possible to have GOD type characters with skills for anything which eventually causes you to get bored with the gaming system.Just my ideas.Hopefully this helps you :lol:

it needs to be far from the traditional rpgs. it needs a great ost, new equipment, new abilities (im tired of seing summoners/black mages/white mages/etc using Fire, Lightning and Ice abilities)... and the main character shouldnt be a goody-goody (reason I dislike FFX :/) .... guess thats it heh

Just out of curiosity did any of you read Mink's post? He is asking about PENCIL & PAPER rpg games. Not computer/console games. Sorry I'm not trying to be rude, I just think that if your going to reply to someone's topic you should at least read it! :lol: