xisto Community
dserban

How Fast Does Your System Boot, And What's Your Os? Poll

How fast does your system boot, and what's your OS?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It takes my MacBook under 15s to load up through the system loading and account login.

Specifications

MacBook

MacOS X 10.4.10

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz 667MHz FSB 4MB L2 Cache

120GB 5400RPM HDD

1GB DDR2-5300 RAM

8x SuperDrive

xboxrulz

Although I put my laptop in standby mode and it usually boots in about 10 seconds, I would say it will be anywhere from 15-30 when I have to do a restart because of the stuff I have running on it. Yeah I could just change the options and blah blah run it faster, but those few seconds go by quickly and I am not missing anything while waiting for my computer to boot.

I wish the poll was multiple choice. As it is I could only vote for one of my systems. So...Desktop1: (P4, 512MB, 80GB HDD, XP Pro, @ 6 programs launched on startup) - 25 seconds with auto logonDesktop2: (P DualCore, 2GB, 300+500+160+160+200 HDD, XP Pro, @ 8 programs launched on startup) - 70 secondsDual Boot Laptop: (P DualCore, 2GB, 120GB HDD, 2 programs launched on startup) - not counting OS select menuXP Pro: 25 secondsVista: 50 seconds (but when rebooting after installing updates, logon takes 2 or 3 minutes)

I have vista and it usually boots within about 60 seconds or so (although it is kinda hard to tell because I have to enter a password in to boot up), also I have McAfee antivirus which takes a little bit...and some software for accessing the network (allowing for mapping of network drives from anywhere i have internet access and such) and that slows down the boot a fair amount.

does booting mean from time you turn computer on till its logged on, or from logging on till when the computers actually loaded?mine doesnt take too long, ive never looked to see how long so i cant tell you, though roughly 30 seconds or so.i havent defragmented my computer for more than a year.i started it once in the morning and then that night it was only done 30% so i stopped it.

I've booted my OS within 15 secs and I actually counted it. ;)

Anyway for this to happen, my machine didn't have a lot of startup program that need to be loaded at startup. Just a few. And of course I've been doing a few system maintenance quite regularly.

1. Defragmentation. Think it is the core of lagging your system bootup.

2. Removing those startup programs that I don't need it.

3. System cleanup, free space (Some says it doesn't affect the speed of the bootup, but it just gets faster after I done it. ;) )

4. Scanning of virus.

I think that's quite a handfull of tasks to do in a regular basis though I'm not that hardcore to tune my registry. ;)

Cheers.

I've found Diskeeper 11 to be an especially good help in defragging and boosting everything from boot time to page file access. It does a great job. Course it's not freeware, but worth the investment.

I've found Diskeeper 11 to be an especially good help in defragging and boosting everything from boot time to page file access. It does a great job. Course it's not freeware, but worth the investment.

Agreed. Currently using Diskeeper for defragmentation rather than the Windows one. Graphical Interface is pretty comprehensive. With mapping and percentage of how fragment your harddisk. Worth a try if anyone is interested. http://www.condusiv.com/

I really do not know why but mine can take up to 5 minutes.Most of that time spent is a blank screen with a blinking _.And then hopefully the login screen shows up for XP Home SP2.Does anyone know any nice little things I can do to speed it up, that shouldn't affect too much?I don't currently mess with any settings that would affect booting, and I would prefer if I do anything, it not negatively impact on other things.