xisto Community
Vyoma

Digital Painting Of Flying Boat In Gimp (with screen capture video).

You did a very good job. What software did you use to do that artwork?

Seems to be, as stated, a Gimp painting and a Movie Maker video.At least I love the flying boat. Is it a hollandaise boat ?

Very nice picture, well done.This picture looks a bit simpler than others ones done in the GIMP, but it would take a very long time for me to experiment and learn how to do this to achieve a similar result. I didn't watch the video yet, maybe I could learn something similar :rolleyes:

Ah - this thread seems to have slipped me!

You did a very good job. What software did you use to do that artwork?

As yordan mentions, the painting itself was done using GIMP. At that point, I was using Camstudio and Windows Movie Maker to create the video itself. (These days, I have shifted to Linux - I use gtk-recordMyDesktop and Cinelerra).

At least I love the flying boat. Is it a hollandaise boat ?

:| I am not sure what a hollandaise boat is. Just was painting what fancied my mind. :rolleyes:

Very nice picture, well done.

This picture looks a bit simpler than others ones done in the GIMP, but it would take a very long time for me to experiment and learn how to do this to achieve a similar result. I didn't watch the video yet, maybe I could learn something similar :P

I did start out doing simple paintings initially. You can check out my painting specific gallery at deviantART - almost all are done in GIMP.

I'm now at the Gimp site and will probably download Gimp to see if it's any good.

If you have been exposed to Photoshop, you might find GIMP a bit overwhelming in terms of UI. Have patience, and once you see it as a tool, it will fit right into your workflow. :P

If you have been exposed to Photoshop, you might find GIMP a bit overwhelming in terms of UI. Have patience, and once you see it as a tool, it will fit right into your workflow. :rolleyes:

Well I installed GIMP and had a quick look at it and was turned off straight away because it had a cluttered work space. It may be OK for you because you have a wide screen monitor but for me I like to stick to the square screened monitors and so Photoshop for me is unbeatable. I don't know, maybe in a couple of years time I may get a wide screen monitor.Thanks for your feedback all the same.
I'll go over to DA and check out your art work now.

Well I installed GIMP and had a quick look at it and was turned off straight away because it had a cluttered work space. It may be OK for you because you have a wide screen monitor but for me I like to stick to the square screened monitors and so Photoshop for me is unbeatable. I don't know, maybe in a couple of years time I may get a wide screen monitor.

Thanks for your feedback all the same.

I'll go over to DA and check out your art work now.

I somehow had a inkling this would be the user-experience feedback you would give, Sellaman. :rolleyes:

And I agree - use the tool you are comfortable with. Because, in terms of digital art, they are just that - tools.

For me, more than using it in widescreen, I think the bias I have towards Open Source software, and the fact that Linux (X) Window Managers are able to catch the hints thrown by GIMP (Windows cannot do that) which allows me to customize its layout just the way I want, makes it a better choice for me than Photoshop.

well Vyoma........I don't have the ability to learn GIMP. Anyhow I don't want to because it would give me a headache. It sounds like I'm missing out on something good but that is my limitations and I recognize them. Oh well, I have photoshop CS2 and that is hard enough for me.

This looks ******* (pick your favorite adj.) cool. It kind of looks like something like a flying ship from an RPG or anime thing. You should show some of your painting to some video game vendors for feed back from their artists. Have you ever tried painting on a computer pen stylus? I'd bet you'd be a natural if not, maybe pick it up easily. :rolleyes:

:P Thanks!

I do use a graphic tablet, and if I remember I did use the graphic tablet - Wacom Intuos3 6x11.

Speaking of concept artist, I intend to do it one day. I dont think I have the skill level to that point yet, so there is a lot of practicing left to do. :rolleyes:

That's what they call it, concept artist. I always wanted to break into the video game industry and be one of those. You know just kick back and do art work. Having some company take care of me while I just do my thing. Well I don't really do any type of manual artwork lately - just computer stuff. I always see gadgets in my photo magazines about color calibration, correctors, pens, tablets, and such. The last time I ever tried on was like in '96 when I visited a computer engineering department at Florida Atlantic University. I did a stick figure drawing of a boxer. I can't really recall what the processing power in the pc's were back then but the tablet was cumbersome for it's size.If I ever come across a good tablet deal I just might skip a camera or computer accessory. LOL Can't have 'em all. :rolleyes:

Edited by levimage (see edit history)