xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
acdragon

Recommended P2p Software?

I personally use Azureus for torrent downloading and Shareaza for other general file sharing stuff. Both are fast and lightweight and i highly recommend them to anyone that is looking. Both are also free and shareaza supports multiple networks.Check them out-HellFire

I recommend BitTorrent for downloading large programs, movies, etc. (legally of course :P :P)
This is because the interface is nice and the statistics/graph is nice for seeing if you are actually transferring from many peers/seeds. It is also good for uploading to the P2P network. I used BitTorrent to download Ubuntu and OpenOffice.org, as well as some other large software packages. :P

LimeWire is good for downloading smaller files, such as mp3s and music files. It has a previewer thing at the bottom of the window, allowing you to listen to the downloaded portions of the song while you are downloading, etc. It is very customizable and it also allows you to see the size, quality and connection of the download in the search list. The copyright protection is improving, with the program asking you not to violate copyright laws if you don't have a Creative Commons license or something similar. :P

It depends on what you are downloading. I've had bad experiences using Shareaza because it found 300 peers but connected to 0. I mean, come on, at least 10 of those 300 are active. :P I have also used BearShare in the past, when I was unaware of spyware and adware. Apparently it doesn't include any spyware/adware in BearShare 6...but McAfee SiteAdvisor says it does. I have always hated KaZaA, viruses, spyware or other reasons. Besides, LimeWire is good and all of my friends use it, I don't see a reason why not.

Choose carefully, and remember to only use teh software for LEGAL purposes! :P

My two favorites are LimeWire and Azureus (Vuze). The new version of Azureus is great! It has all the features of the old version (now under the 'advanced' title) but now with a video explorer that lets you find videos (not full movies, thats illegal, but movie clips, trailers etc) and then download them. You can still use .torrent files with the new interface - it gives you a small speed graph and completion indicator.LimeWire has been a favorite for years. It works well and has heaps of options for downloading. It also is very good with allowing files that are shared and uploaded. I don't want all my files shared around the Internet, and LimeWire lets me pick exactly which files and folders I am sharing with the world!And as FirefoxRocks said, use these programs legaly!

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

How come nobody likes uTorrent? It's the one I like the best --- nice features, small and extremely light on resources. ---Aside from Azureus and Limewire, I suppose. I've never gotten around to using those ones.

I used to use Azureus for torrents, but now I use uTorrent. For some reason I get 200-300 more kbs. Like people have said, it's really light too. But if your connection is fast no matter what, I would use Azureus because it has a lot of nice features, like the download bar. You don't have to keep checking the window if your torrent is done. I don't like the newest Azureus beta because it has that built in download thing that is similar to limewire, but doesn't have a very good selection.

If you are going for quality, torrents. You can get lots of good stuff if you know where to search. Used it before but currently don't do download. Another site to recommend - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. This site link to all the other sub-site like eg. MININOVA. So for a portal, use torrentz.com.

Another p2p software is eMule. Easy to use. Just type in your keywords and there you go. The search results are out. Check it out.

Cheers

When it comes to P2P software, I always search torrent sites first. If I don't find what I want there, I resort to using the other P2P method.

My torrent software of choice is uTorrent. It's very efficient, has basically every feature I could want in a torrent handler, and it's really low on system resources.

My favorite torrent search Website is Demonoid.com. It's one of the best private torrent websites out there. It's open for subscriptions only one day a week, usually Fridays, but you could get invited by current members any day of the week. If you want, PM me and I'll send you an invitation code.

Another site is ISOHUNT.com. It's a torrent META search engine, actually, something like a torrent aggregate, but it has a very large collection. Unlike Demonoid, you can't post or read reviews, so you kinda need to do your homework before downloading something.

Now, if you can't find what you want there, or if you need to download the occasional MP3 file, you can resort directly to the other method and use direct P2P software...

I used to use Shareaza, since it used to connect to 3 different networks: Gnutella, Gnutella 2, and eDonkey. Of course, this made it easy to find basically ANYTHING you wanted. Unfortunately, the quality of the searches has dramatically decreased a couple of months ago. Since then, I started using LimeWire for the occasional download and eMule for dedicated, rare searches.

Using all those methods, I can't remember not finding anything I looked for. Good luck :P

I personally use ApexDC++, some people doesn't like it, due to you need to connect to different hubs and etc. but I personally like it and usually find what I need, but sometimes I don't, so I just find a torrent file.. ApexDC++ is a client to access DC++, most of people use StrongDC, but ApexDC in my opinion is much better, it was rewritten from scratch by PeerWeb DC++ Developers, it is free and doesn't eat to much resources when active, but it is as light as something similar could be. What I like is the speed, when I connect to it and download for example a movie, the speed is very high if you're connected to your countries hub or with the people who are from your country, due to when I was using eMule in the past, it was slower than the slowest slowcoach in the world :P

The only P2P software I've ever used is Limewire, since I almost always find what I need there. I guess, because of that and my slow connection, I can't say much more, but Limewire's really good for small files and is pretty safe. I've never gotten viruses or anything of the sort by downloading through Limewire (but it's always a good idea to scan before opening anything).Serena

My favorite p2p software is Âľtorrent.
Why?
- very fast downloading (+- 200 kb for each download)
- you don't have to upload much (you can put a maximum op 1kb a second, that's nothing)
For a small review look:

ÂľTorrent 1.2.2
REVIEW DATE: 01.11.06
# Product: ÂľTorrent 1.2.2
# Price: Free
# Company: Ludvig Strigeus, http://www.utorrent.com/intl/en/

Total posts: 3
Buy It Here Check Prices

Proof that a little bit of code can go a long way, ÂľTorrent packs an outstanding array of features in 107KB, and doesn't even create a folder in your Program Files. Azureus, to be fair, takes up only 151KB; BitTorrent is 184KB; and BitPump is 113KBânone of these clients is particularly bloated.

ÂľTorrent is second only to Azureus in features. Right-clicking on a torrent file in the main window brings up controls for maximum upload and download speeds for the individual file, along with seeding times and upload-to-download ratios.

Highlighting a torrent lets you choose from a selection of tabs for current speeds, information about individual files in the torrent, peer stats, time elapsed, estimated remaining time, and a visual tool to track the availability of the file you're working on.

The main Settings folder offers global bandwidth control and the ability to randomize the port used by ÂľTorrent on every start. (If you have a UPnP-compatible router, you can use the UPnP port mapping option to forward ports automatically.) The built-in scheduler can control bandwidth across different times of day.

ÂľTorrent has the reputation of being able to run on nearly any version of Windows (users claim everything from 486 PCs running Windows 95 and the Winsock2 update up through Windows Vista beta). In the course of our testing for this story, it replaced Azureus as our BitTorrent tool of choice. Azureus-style plug-ins would be an outstanding addition, but the authors have promised this will never happen.

Hi there Utorrent is the best and light weight torrent client. No hassles and its free. You can find all the latest torrents at various sites like torrentspy.com. thepiratebay.org, mininova.com etc. Hope that helps

Frostwire is a free P2P program based on Limewire that has the features of Limewire Pro.

http://www.frostwire.com/

µTorrent IMHO is the best torrent client for Windows.

http://www.utorrent.com/

Soul Seek is very good for finding music. You can only download from one source but it allows you to download the whole folder that the song is located in which makes it great for downloading whole albums. Great for finding more obscure music too.

http://www.slsknet.org/news/

http://nicotine-plus.sourceforge.net/ (linux alternative)

Edited by ChrisAF07 (see edit history)