xisto Community
jalle

Free Hosting + Mapped Ftp Drive

Hello to allI'm looking for long time some free FTP hosting + software which I can use to map that free host service and have mapped drive in my local computer.This is what I used till now:1. ByetHost.com free ftp host (25MB) + WebDrive software for mapping.Webdrive is not so bad but sometimes slow and hangs. I found alternative to it as Netdrive which is free software. The problem is that it hangs a lot.2. Other free web drive is folders.live.com - microsoft web drive which I couldnt try yet because they dont allow new signups :P 3. Xisto :P please tell me if this is good to use as a web drive ?Cheers !

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think this can be done with the webhosting service at Xisto.

Will you only be using this mainly for data storage? From what you said, it sounds like it. Xisto will either deny your application or terminate your hosting account (if you get it and a staff/admin finds out you are only using it for storage of files). Read the Terms of Service:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81424-topic/?findpost=1064285080

I believe Google Drive or others like would be the first to consider.Basically, what you want to do is click, drag to a folder called, i.e. "FTP folder" and without opening an FTP client it will store in an off-site server, right?Google Drive (gmail drive), Xdrive, Firefox drive extension (plug-in) you name it there are out there. You can install FTP plug-in for Firefox for Xisto account and use it as FTP mapped drive. However, Xisto cannot be used just to store files--it must be a functioning website at some point.Xdrive is pretty interesting (I wrote an article about it) and since the name is from far away that I am familiar with, I decided to have one--AOL backend at this point.Over at Xisto, we even had using gmail and gmail drive to host files for websites. It was successful until gmail changed how external signing-in process was changed.

whats the point of using web hosting for file storing anyway? cant you just keep your files on your computer?or if you wanted it so u can get them at places, wot about a jumpdrive?either that or just an actual file storage site. http://www.gamefront.com/ is a good one. i used to use that sometimes.

Yes, using Xisto as a data storage is against our TOS and you will get your hosting pulled.
xboxrulz

Sorry I didnt know its against the rules to use it as a storage.
In that case I dont need to post here any more :P

Sorry I didnt know its against the rules to use it as a storage.In that case I dont need to post here any more :P

I'm not completely sure it's forbidden to use Xisto as a storage. Simply, you don't have so much disk space, and you will have bandwidth trouble, but as long as you store legit files (your own texts, you own Excel files and the pictures you took with your own camera) I'm pretty sure it's a legit usage of your Xisto space.
Simply, a 500 Mb flashdrive is a simpler way to store your files, I think you should use Xisto as a public website in order to share things with your friends, show your pictures, moderate your own family/friends forum, and that kind of service you cannot obtain with a shared drive but you can have it with Xisto.