xisto Community
lonelym

Light-laser? Is it possible?

I don't think its possible to create a laser from concentrated light, since light bounces off when it reaches a solid object. I'm just a 14 year old, so I don't really know anything yet. It's just my opinion on the topic.If the laser is made with light, then the light will bounce back, unless (1) the light-laser beams out a line of light (2) directly towards an object, and then instantly (3) puts a mirror so that the light would bounce back and back again.1 - I'm not sure.2 - First of all, light doesn't go on a straight line once you project it. It (what is the right term) ... scatters? So if the light is concentrated, there will only be a blinding light coming away from the object (because it bounced back).3 - The speed of the exchange of the laser to mirror would need to be faster than the speed of light, since the light will travel from the laser to the object, then back to the machine.I'm not sure. No flames please?

Laser is an acronym for

Light Amplification by Simulated Emission of Radiation

So to say light cannot be laser is an understatement. It's a different kind of light.

Light has two properties: particle and wave (basic high school physics). Particle, or commonly knowns as photons, is how auto dark sensor of your porch light or "ding-dong" bell sound when you enter a shop by interrupting the transmitter and the receiver works. Light is also a wave form because light can bend around corners, much like when a flash light is covered by a hand and you can see pink glowing edges around your fingers. The property of light wave is also noted when light travels away from a source, dispersing wider than the original source.

Light possesses many spectrum of waves (commonly measured by color)--both visible and invisible. Ultraviolet (UV ray) is another form of light. Laser happens to fall in one of the spectrum of waves when artificially intensified with external radiation it produces intense heat. This is why laser is used for cutting, burning (like surgical binding or CD making) or other various ways. A common laser is measured between 620nm and 680nm (nanometers). Higher the nanometer the more heat it contains to cut or burn an object, like 1600nm.

1-Laser will bounce back from a mirror no matter what the nanometer value. It depends on how long a mirror can sustain the heat before it melts or breaks (uneven distribution of heat can cause glass to shatter).

2-Laser is a part form of light that is confined within a specific wave length. Think of laser as passing bunch of bouncing marbles through a tight round tube. And the source of laser is responsible for amplifying only a specific rage (or one wave length) out of thousands, millions of other light waves.

3-Laser can bounce back and forth as long as the reflecting material can withstand the heat caused by laser beam. And you can have laser to collide with oncoming laser beam. This will create additional calculative heat at the point of collision. This method is used, now a days, to create 3-D etching of any design within a glass block (I'm sure you've seen it in any souvenir shops).

Laser is also used as a sensing device. The newer updated motion sensors for an alarm system, a temperature gauge, a motor RPM tracker etc. CD-ROM is another form of laser sensor where the interruption of laser bouncing back is measured by a secondary sensor which calculates as ON and OFF--binary values.

Recently I've been thinking, what would you get if you concentrated something other than light into a laser, like heat? Would it be possible? It would make highly powerful lasers. I'm not sure if they already use this though.Lasers are very possible, they do not work like normal light, it is concentrated so that the light doesn't "scatter". And I believe that when it hits a solid object, it bounces back, still concentrated

Recently I've been thinking, what would you get if you concentrated something other than light into a laser, like heat? Would it be possible? It would make highly powerful lasers. I'm not sure if they already use this though.

Lasers are very possible, they do not work like normal light, it is concentrated so that the light doesn't "scatter". And I believe that when it hits a solid object, it bounces back, still concentrated

With the bouncing topic, i think and based on my previous subject (physics :P) , it really depends on the object that was at first hit by the Light produced by the LASER!

And Yes! Its already possible! Ever heard of Lyposaction (if the spelling is right ,hehe). One of the main ways or procedure to do that is through using Concentrated Heat!

Edited by tuko (see edit history)

LOL, I can just imagine some poor dope running around with what you might call a "laser gun" only to have the darn thing fire and bounce off and burn everything :P.

Recently I've been thinking, what would you get if you concentrated something other than light into a laser, like heat? Would it be possible? It would make highly powerful lasers. I'm not sure if they already use this though.
Lasers are very possible, they do not work like normal light, it is concentrated so that the light doesn't "scatter". And I believe that when it hits a solid object, it bounces back, still concentrated

Heat is the main product of laser effectiveness. The most powerful lasers don't use visible light, only infa-red.

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackLight-laser?

Replying to lonelym

I'm pretty sure you couldn't make a laser with light because in the later #2 the person said, "it would have to go faster than the speed of light" and that, as I recently learned in physics, isn't possible. But on the other hand, it's more than likely to be possible to be able to make a laser with something else with heat. So, yeah, I believe it is possible.