xisto Community
fsastraps

The Future Of Computers, What Do You Think?

This may be a rather bleak outlook for the future of humanity, but I believe that computers will end up managing everyday tasks, not only in the home, but will be operating every part of life, from manufacturing the car totally separate from human intervention to driving you to your destination. Unfortunately, as with all computers, there will be a crash or faliure somewhere, however, by the time it is realised computers will be unable to manage the planet everyone will have lost their basic skills of survival. It would be a very sad day if computers were the downfall of the human race...

The PS 3 is going to be 35 times more powerful than the PS2, and it is 1% as powerful as the human brain. On an article I read, in 45 years from now, it will be common for people to download their thoughts into a computer at the end of the day, and it will be cheap enough for almost anyone to own such a device. The lifespan of a computer will be shorter. It's quite exciting to think of how advanced technology is becoming, and at the same time, scarry.

I have read in a magzine that ther is going to be a 6.4Ghz Computer coming out in Late 2006.

65402[/snapback]

:D:( awesome!

there is one major deciding factor for how much technology will grow, which is capitalism/economics. if there is a market for something like 6Ghz computer, and there is, we will have one.

a lot of times people are too afraid of technologies and the societies have to catch up to their own technolgoies. this is definantly the case with technology that provides convinience at the cost of security. there is a lot of technolgy already available that many consider to be a breach of personal security and are unwilling to use. like the use of computer chips and databases to store information about yourself for easy purchases, tracking things, &c.

wheter machine/computer can reach human level depends very much on what level we are on. we don't really know the answer to this, so how can we know whether computers can reach this? are we more than simply logical beings? or are we just computing highly complex logical operations in our brains (or wherever our CPU is) and therefore completly predictable if we can only reach that sophistication of calculations...?

these are very important philosophical questions! :D

yes i reckon computers will evolve into stuff like irobot...it will be quite cool, as long as the computres dont take over...hehe

I wonder what these people would have said if they could read these posts again. :P

yep that 6.4 GHz processor. :lol:
There is already processors that can run at something approaching 800ghz, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so in 6 years time.......oppsss Chrystal ball upside down... kangaroos with GPS...
40" (yes inchs still in use) flat screen paper ink monitors
Cast of Jersey Shore all have AIDS
Snooki's TV channel available on wristwatch TV (HD of course)
Skin embedded wristwatch TV.
WoW players riot with scientology; moon server 4 needs to be reset.....
Edited by czone (see edit history)

yep that 6.4 GHz processor. :lol:There is already processors that can run at something approaching 800ghz, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so in 6 years time.......oppsss Chrystal ball upside down... kangaroos with GPS...
40" (yes inchs still in use) flat screen paper ink monitors
Cast of Jersey Shore all have AIDS
Snooki's TV channel available on wristwatch TV (HD of course)
Skin embedded wristwatch TV.
WoW players riot with scientology; moon server 4 needs to be reset.....

I don't know where the 800 GHZ thing comes from unless you mean using multiple motherboards. In that case, there was an interview with someone who worked on one of the Star Wars movies that said for their rendering of the video they had a farm of over 1200 CPU's and something like 15 Petabytes (15,000 Terrabytes or 15,000,000 GB) of hard drive and that they still struggled to get it to render due to the lack of power.

The closer we move to cloud computing the faster our PC's will run though.

I don't know but looks like my point 5 years ago is still valid. Processors unable to make it to 4ghz. All that we see is multi-core processing innovation. That way we can say that single processor giving such huge speed is still in theory. I don't know but i'll wait to see any processor breaking this assumption of mine. I would love to see any processor with such high speed. Till then processor maximum possible speed possibility is stagnated. I don't know how come cloud computing can be answer to this but atleast it'll give better performance.

I don't know but looks like my point 5 years ago is still valid. Processors unable to make it to 4ghz. All that we see is multi-core processing innovation. That way we can say that single processor giving such huge speed is still in theory. I don't know but i'll wait to see any processor breaking this assumption of mine. I would love to see any processor with such high speed.
Till then processor maximum possible speed possibility is stagnated. I don't know how come cloud computing can be answer to this but atleast it'll give better performance.

Yup. And the problem seems to be the speed of electricity not being fast enough to allow faster processors.
I once read in the Reader's Digest someone's making a DNA based processor; don't know how that's turned out.
I also heard that someone is trying a light based processor. Rumour, probably.

About two years ago we learned in a physics class about how there was going to be a CPU "soon" that has no speed -- it's instant. This was supposed to be out over a year ago and was going to revolutionize the PC by no longer limiting the speed of the PC to the CPU -- then the focus was going to be on the HDD and RAM.Haven't heard anything since then though so I'm guessing it was another one of those "we'll brag about it and not complete it" things.

About two years ago we learned in a physics class about how there was going to be a CPU "soon" that has no speed -- it's instant.

If i'm not wrong then you're talking about quantum computing. There is not much progress for it. Not sure which companies are doing the research on that.

Haven't heard anything since then though so I'm guessing it was another one of those "we'll brag about it and not complete it" things.

That happens quite a lot these days.
We hear about so much awesome techs and yet see very few of them actually applied. I guess they sound good in theory but create complications in real-life.

That happens quite a lot these days.We hear about so much awesome techs and yet see very few of them actually applied. I guess they sound good in theory but create complications in real-life.

Last year there was talk about a HDD that uses water to store information -- they claimed in one drip of water you could store petabytes of information by polarizing it certain ways. The theory was that we could get a HDD that could store infinite information and would have no moving parts (so it would never break/wear out).

Haven't heard about that one in a while either.