xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

New Virus? Uglyhuman Msn Virus A worm that isnt in the virus definitions yet?

I skipped a lot of replies, so please excuse me if my question might have been answered.
Anyway, so does this affect Windows Live Only? Because I haven't recieved any of these messages and a lot of people I know refuse to use it as well.

Then again, most of the people on my list are web developers, software programmers and such, so there not exactly dumb with a PC lol.

I think it applies to both Windows Live Messenger and MSN Messenger. They seem to be from the similar breed B)

There must be a way to remove this. If you post in the malware removal forums, there is a good chance that one of the malware removal experts will weed through all the files and find all those that are related to this infection. Maybe even in the registry...

Ahh. MSN viruses. I hate those. I clicked one once. It took me several weeks to fully root out all the problems. I ran so many system scans - avast!, AVG Free, Ad-Aware, and probably other ones I've forgotten already. I went through all the files in my system to take out what didn't look familiar (yeah, I go through the system files pretty often, so I know what's usually there). It was such a stressing time, especially since I can NOT reinstall everything; I'd lose a lot of files!But generally, to remove a virus, use several programs to scan your computer thoroughly and make sure your computer is offline while you're scanning. And make sure that the firewall is on at full blast to block the virus from going anywhere. If the virus installed itself, you may find CCleaner useful; you can see all the applications installed, even those that usually don't appear in the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel. HijackThis is useful too, if you know your system well or have experts helping you. I don't know why it didn't work for you; I relied quite heavily on it when I was rooting out viruses.And as mvs.en said, if you talk to a person for a while, you regonize their typing styles. For example, I use perfect grammar/capitalization and have an obession with this smiley: XD. If the message doesn't match the usual typing style, don't fall for it!Just be careful from now on; no link clicking anymore. If you get a link, ask the person if they sent it or not.Serena

There as been plenty of viruses like these around for months now. Only last month i was so close in clicking a link to something like im********.com/myemail saying there as some embarrassing picture of me. I used my brain for once and searched on google and found out it was just those sites with Trojans that sends to everyone in your contact list that same message. My suggestion to everyone is always verify that website by asking your friend what is it about and if in doubt, ask him a general question which both you and the person in your contact list knows. Most probably if it is the virus, he would go straight offline when you try talking to him. Hope this helps B)

If the virus is smart enough, it will hide itself really well even from the virus/spyware scanners. HijackThis will only look in certain registry areas and nothing more. With today's ever growing malware infections, the security analysts in the forums have to use a bundle of other tools to scan for any file changes over the past month or so and try working from there.

Yeah I haven't copped any of these messages recently, although I do somewhat remember getting a link from someone saying it was me, but I don't know if it was related to this or not.

I have a problem that I suspect might be related to this virus.Starting today, going to the inbox of my hotmail email account triggers the download of program that avast identifies as a virus. Of course I click on the disconnect to stop the download. This means my hotmail account is inaccessible however.Unfortunately I do not have much substantial evidence to present that this is the same virus/worm because soon I cannot go to the hotmail site at all presumably because avast is blocking it. Nor did I write everything down that occured but I think that the word "photo" popped up somewhere along the line.Here is the Avast warning log entry7/26/2007 9:20:14 PM SYSTEM 112 Sign of "VBS:Malware [script]" has been found in "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; file.

Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

Its common practice and if you are a frequent user you should know that clicking random links from people you dont know is very bad. And should be avoided at all times. I am very cautious when it comes to clicking links from even my freinds, I ask them what this link is before I click it because I hear many occurences of how viruses are passed through messengers and how it deals damage to your computer that results in making you reformat your computer. But from your experience Im sure you will probably be more cautious the next time around, and its good that you made this post. Because for those that dont already know that is being passed around the internet these days would know now and will eventually get to them as a caution.

Starting today, going to the inbox of my hotmail email account triggers the download of program that avast identifies as a virus. Of course I click on the disconnect to stop the download. This means my hotmail account is inaccessible however.

Well either hotmail or avast has apparently fixed the problem. I would guess that the problem was at the hotmail site since I do not recall there being an avast update since I had the problem.