xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

Hd-dvd Vs. Bluray

Recently, my buddy compiled a list on Facebook about these two technologies, so I want to share it with the Xisto community and to see what their feelings are on these two technology.

Blu Ray:
UPS
• Stunning quality at 1080p
• Runs normal dvds, upscaling the picture making them look pretty

DOWNS
• only worth buying if you're a SONY gamer (PS3), or if you have a budget of $800-$1500, or if you have an 1080p HDTV (only if you have the previous requirements) with HDMI (sold separately) and a Fiber Optic audio cable (also sold separately)

HD DVD:

UPS
• slightly lower, yet very satisfying resolution of 1080i, where the difference is only really noticeable if you are sitting 3 inches away from the tv
• only $499+, or $199 if you have an XBOX 360
• XBOX 360 HD DVD drive is external, and you can use it on your PC
• larger selection of movies
• 1080i HDTVs are much more common and affordable than 1080p tvs
• Also runs normal dvds, upscaling the picture making them look pretty

DOWNS
• some have ridiculously long warm-up times, but it is an acceptable wait, considering the great functionality of the system.
• for best quality, you still need to buy an HDMI cable (sold separately) and a Fiber Optic audio cable (also sold separately)

Source: HD DVD or BLUE RAY Facebook Group - Ups and downs

There's only one thing I didn't agree with him is that HD-DVD can project 1080p natively.

I also checked the two main competitor's website for their cheapest standalone players with similar features:
Sony's BDPS1 Blu-ray Disc™ Player is CA$1,299.99
Toshiba's HD-A20 HD-DVD Player is CA$599.00

Included next-generation disc readers are:
Sony Playstation 3, Bluray drive already included.
XBOX 360, CA$199.99 add-on, via USB

I personally already backing the HD-DVD format because it's very similar to the DVD technology and most HD-DVD discs can be read on standard DVD players, so it's like a 2 in 1 package. Plus, Toshiba has already developed a prototype triple layer disc that has 51 GB of capacity.

Your thoughts?

xboxrulz

I was all hyped up about this technology when I heard it a few years back since they both can hold a lot of data.Originally, I was a Blu Ray supporter because I heard that it was going to prevail in the end. But now with HD-DVD competing with it, especially price-wise, I'm leaning towards HD-DVD :ph34r:That's the first time I heard of a triple layered disc :) Doesn't BluRay have a similar storage capacity with their "dual layer" discs? I read this a while back but not sure if they came out with one yet.

I read in PC User Australia (a magazine) that Blu-ray was there (apart from the obvious customer benefits) because it had some sort of encryption on that prevented people from copying discs. = Benefit to Hollywood. Sure enough, the magazine revealed that those across the globe had found out ways to copy these discs despite the encryption method. So, they're all suckers. And we get to benefit from better quality movies too. :) What sucks is that we have to buy new players to play these discs. The magazine I read that users will decide for themselves on which one is better and years later...one will die out. And I'll wait until one dies out. :ph34r:

From being in the video production industry this is something I've watched for a few years. My money has always been on this: by the time one format wins out, the optical disc will be obsolete with direct download replacing it. Whether that download is from the internet or On Demand Service from cable/sat provider is yet to be seen, but...I've been working with HDV for 4 years. When it was broadcast work, we always shipped around external HDD's around with the final product. I have both a Blu-Ray Burner and HD-DVD burner and recently used the HD-DVD burner to produce a HD video biography video for a client. That being said, something like the AppleTV is going to be the future in my humble opinion.

Edited by unimatrix (see edit history)

hmmm... digital media streaming, I know is great, but IMO, networks are still slower than read from disc. I think optical discs will stick for a while.

I read in PC User Australia (a magazine) that Blu-ray was there (apart from the obvious customer benefits) because it had some sort of encryption on that prevented people from copying discs. = Benefit to Hollywood.
Sure enough, the magazine revealed that those across the globe had found out ways to copy these discs despite the encryption method. So, they're all suckers. And we get to benefit from better quality movies too. :)

What sucks is that we have to buy new players to play these discs. The magazine I read that users will decide for themselves on which one is better and years later...one will die out. And I'll wait until one dies out. :ph34r:

Both formats have the exact same content protection system called AACS: Advanced Access Content System.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

From being in the video production industry this is something I've watched for a few years. My money has always been on this: by the time one format wins out, the optical disc will be obsolete with direct download replacing it. Whether that download is from the internet or On Demand Service from cable/sat provider is yet to be seen, but...
I've been working with HDV for 4 years. When it was broadcast work, we always shipped around external HDD's around with the final product. I have both a Blu-Ray Burner and HD-DVD burner and recently used the HD-DVD burner to produce a HD video biography video for a client.

That being said, something like the AppleTV is going to be the future in my humble opinion.

Where can I find a HD-DVD burner?

xboxrulz

Some other interesting facts, i came to know : * The Nichi Corporation, who holds the design patents to the Blu-ray's laser system, sits as an associate member of the HD DVD Promotion Group. * Even though Apple sits on the Blu-ray Board of Directors, its DVD Studio Pro software supports authoring HD DVD media. * Blu-ray, unlike HD DVD, requires a hard coating on its discs because it's 0.5m closer to the surface. The polymer coating it uses, called Durabis, was developed by TDK and is supposedly extremely resilient and fingerprint resistant. * The Java platform is mandatory on Blu-ray as it's the standard for menus/multimedia (i.e. all Blu-ray systems must support JVM) * Though Microsoft has not officially sided with either format, it has a number of long-standing IP cross-licensing deals with Toshiba. HD DVD systems will run Windows CE; the standard is currently the only next-gen optical standard with announced support in Longhorn, and an HD DVD version of the Xbox 360 is rumored for the future. * The first consumer Blu-ray device in the US market is expected to be the PlayStation 3.

Edited by vidit (see edit history)

Your info is quite old there vidit. Windows Longhorn, which is Windows Vista is already out. The Playstation 3 is also out now.

The HDi is mandatory on HD-DVDs as it's HD-DVD's answer to BD's Java platform. HDi uses XML.

HDi scripting allows interactivity to be authored into a script data format using XML and ECMAScript (standardized JavaScript) as the scripts get interpreted by the HDi runtime engine. In contrast, the competing Blu-ray high-definition video disc format uses BD-J for authoring interactive features and menus.

-- Wikipedia

xboxrulz

From what I heard and read, blu-ray seems to be taking over the market with sales gain speed and about to overthrow the hd-dvd market. I always know that bluray would probably make it as the next innovation because its the best, and the people most likely want the best if its an investment. With 1080p tvs being distributed accross the country and its growing popularity, you will most liekly see people using more blurays than the hddvds. I have no problem if one or the other takes over the market because I have the luxury of owning both players, so who ever wins the battle of format wars, I will continue to use whatever will be the change.

I think that blu-ray won't get very far because of the really expensive blu-ray players. What I find so dumb is how blu-ray players cost more than the ps3, and that has a blu-ray player. I've watched movies from both blu-ray and hd-dvd, and they're both really great quality, you can't really tell which one is better quality. So I think that it will purely based of the prices of the players. For me though, I don't see why I need to upgrade to blu-ray or hd-dvd, I'm still watching vhs movies and they work, and that's all that I care.

Edited by Laurence (see edit history)