xisto Community
SilverFox1405241541

Why Its So Hard To Get Hosting At Astahost Feedback and some suggestions

I think the reason why its so hard to get hosting here at Xisto is because of its technical nature. While many of us who haven't got hosting yet (me included) know a fair bit about Computers and other technical aspects there isn't much need to share it here, since the auidience is made up mainly of people with the same amount of knowledge or more. Most of the tutorials to be written have been written I think.Many helpful tips that would benefit people, we all already know. To make "quality" posts you must not just be technically minded but be the best of the better, since the majority of Xisto members have a fair knowledge of Computer related things. So it is hard to post "quality" posts. You have to scratch your head, which I guess is a good thing, afterall nothing good as Xisto should come *totally* free.One thing that crossed my mind that you might implement to lower the denial rate would be to have different parts of the forums give different credits. For example, the Life talk forum has many useful and quality posts, have it give credits differently than the Computers & Tech part. Since the Life Talk one still has good posts that deserve credit and the Computers & Tech is more what Asta is about. This would mean non-technically oriented people or people who can't think of something worth sharing that we don't all know already would not get 30 Credits as fast by posting non-technical stuff and therefore not apply as soon, thus lowering the denial rate. You might have already implemented this but I still lwanted to suggest it just in case.Another suggestion to the admins/mods is to not make Xisto sound so degrading. Maybe I am the only one who took it that way, but sometimes it sounds like your saying "Your not smart enough for us, go where the stupid people go", and even if that's true it might be better to soften the tone.Regards,SilverFox

I think getting it Hosted wasn't that hard. Maintaining it is a problem. There seems to be too little topics around here. Not everyone will be able to answer or interested in replying all kinds of topic. For example, I like to help others solve their computer problem, programming obstacles and stuffs like that. The problem is, no everyone has that kind of problem everyday. But i need to maintain the points. Generally some of my post will earn me around 4 points. Some are only 1 point. Lately, there seems to have less post around these topic, so i always at the borderline. Then have to look at some random topic to make some post to maintain the account. At this rate, i think i'll opt for paid services.

Yes, it is true that every single post leaves less options to talk about, but I don't see it as such a big problem. When I applied for hosting for the first time, my posts weren't that good. What's more, If I had been a moderator back then, I would have probably told myself to work a bit more on the post quality. But yet, I got accepted, and since then, both length and quality of my posts improved vastly. It comes with time, so don't worry.As for activating credit count for more forums, I doubt it will be done, since that's somewhat destroying the main Xisto principle - technology posts for hosting. Sending people to Xisto isn't degrading, it's more like saying someone he is obviously better with mathematics than physics. Both hosts are equally good, so no one should feel embarrassed or insulted. After all, both Xisto and Xisto (and Qupis and Xisto - Web Hosting) are owned by the same company - Xisto ;)

Yes, it is true that every single post leaves less options to talk about, but I don't see it as such a big problem. When I applied for hosting for the first time, my posts weren't that good. What's more, If I had been a moderator back then, I would have probably told myself to work a bit more on the post quality. But yet, I got accepted, and since then, both length and quality of my posts improved vastly. It comes with time, so don't worry.
As for activating credit count for more forums, I doubt it will be done, since that's somewhat destroying the main Xisto principle - technology posts for hosting. Sending people to Xisto isn't degrading, it's more like saying someone he is obviously better with mathematics than physics. Both hosts are equally good, so no one should feel embarrassed or insulted. After all, both Xisto and Xisto (and Qupis and Xisto - Web Hosting) are owned by the same company - Xisto ;)

Actually, i'm not asking for more credit count. What i prefer was to have more attraction for ppl to post here, so to create more topics and reply, that way, more ppl will benefit.

I didn't find it hard to get accepted. It took maby 75 minutes to get 30 Host Credits (without spamming) and a week for me to get accepted. You just got to be active (as you obviosly are as you have 60 posts). I don't know why you weren't accepted yet. I don't know what you should do as by asking a mod you may seem a little pushy. I think they may understand as you have been waiting for a while.

Another suggestion to the admins/mods is to not make Xisto sound so degrading. Maybe I am the only one who took it that way, but sometimes it sounds like your saying "Your not smart enough for us, go where the stupid people go", and even if that's true it might be better to soften the tone.

They simply want to provide a web host for people that don't plan to be active in anything. They wan't to meet the needs of everyone and therefore added an account type that takes no posts but has less space and ads. Everyone is happy since they don't half to post and Xisto gets money from the advertisements. Nothing in life is 100% free. You don't need to be smart at all to post here. Xisto is also a good place to get answers to questions if you need help. Sorry if you got the idea that Trap 17 is a bad place.Thanks for reading,
Sparkx

As for activating credit count for more forums, I doubt it will be done, since that's somewhat destroying the main Xisto principle - technology posts for hosting.

I meant make it where the non-technology related forums that currently give credits will give less than the Computer and Tech ones.

I don't know why you weren't accepted yet. I don't know what you should do as by asking a mod you may seem a little pushy. I think they may understand as you have been waiting for a while.

This thread isn't really about me per se. Its for people to think about it and for people who are thinking of applying to read. If I was to protest or anything to the mods it would be in PM for sure.

What i prefer was to have more attraction for ppl to post here, so to create more topics and reply, that way, more ppl will benefit.

I agree. More activity would help. Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

Actually, i'm not asking for more credit count. What i prefer was to have more attraction for ppl to post here, so to create more topics and reply, that way, more ppl will benefit.

You can be a part of that wave. Create topics on your own that you find interesting, but don't overdo it, or it might be considered spamming ;)

When I first tried for hosting at Xisto sometime last year, I was accepted the first time. I don't have a vast amount of knowledge as most people here do, but that really doesn't matter. I know enough to get me by... for now. What I wanted to say was, I got hosted bearly. They told me make my posts higher quality. As Pyost has said, my first posts weren't that great. But it doesn't take alot to expand on thoughts, give your best advice with details. I understand why topics such as 'Life Talk' don't get credits. This is after all, a host that prides itself on having techniclly minded people. Topics like those are great to have around to break up the monotany, have nothing to do with computers. And sometimes it is hard to find something to reply to. I've gone a couple of days without posting but, bam, one day all sorts of things come up that I can post about. Trap 17 isn't a bad place. I've had hosting there too. Their point in telling people to go there is that it would just be easier for the person to get/maintain the amount of credits they need.

I agree with what faulty.lee said. It's not hard at all to get hosting here. You just need to get started in the right foot to obtain the sufficient amount of credit to qualify for a hosting package. After that is where the hard part comes in...maintaining your hosting account.

If you are a regular computer user, this shouldn't be an issue for you. I don't always find a good topic that I can contribute to, but if I look around from time to time, I will find one that catch my eye. If you don't feel like you can contribute much to the forums here at Xisto, I highly recommend that you go to Xisto instead to get hosting:

http://forums.xisto.com/

It's a sister site to Xisto and posting there is less strict.

I understand why topics such as 'Life Talk' don't get credits.

But it does, I know that some of the sub-forums do. My suggestion is to LOWER the amount that they give. They already give some (well some of the sub forums do).

EDIT: I am not complaining nor anything of the sort, just giving my feedback and suggestions.

Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

I don't quite classify as a longstanding member of Xisto, but I have been here since July 2005 and I didn't find it difficult to obtain hosting. My posts have improved over time, but it wasn't hard to contribute or post new topics. I had a whole list of problems and questions that needed answering, and it was a double bonus to get them answered and get credits for asking them at the same time. I've slipped into negative credits a few times, mainly due to travelling, or like the time the SEAMEWE cable got cut by that fishing boat and the country was without internet for nearly a month. I had, again, just returned from a trip and only had a week's worth of credit left, so i was handicapped there. Other than that, even if i'm only able to get on for a half hour or so twice a week, I comfortably maintain 3 or 4 weeks worth of hosting credit, and if i had more time on my hands i could easily double that. I like that Xisto has a more technical focus, which is why i moved here from Xisto. But both hosts were equally reliable.

My suggestion is to LOWER the amount that they give. They already give some (well some of the sub forums do).

Easy for you to say, but not for OpaQue to do ;) As you know, OpaQue is the found and owner of the Xisto Corporation and all its services, and therefore has very little time for such changes. You might think there's not much to do - but there is. The credits system at Xisto is extremely complex, as it takes numerous parameters in consideration when calculating the amount of credits you will get from a post. Therefore, setting up credit count in these forums wouldn't be so hard, but defining a custom credits count would.

I don't quite classify as a longstanding member of Xisto, but I have been here since July 2005 and I didn't find it difficult to obtain hosting.

I think you've missed onthing I mentioned, that's the fact that because Xisto is older most topics have been covered, not as much ground to cover.

Easy for you to say, but not for OpaQue to do ;) As you know, OpaQue is the found and owner of the Xisto Corporation and all its services, and therefore has very little time for such changes. You might think there's not much to do - but there is. The credits system at Xisto is extremely complex, as it takes numerous parameters in consideration when calculating the amount of credits you will get from a post. Therefore, setting up credit count in these forums wouldn't be so hard, but defining a custom credits count would.

I understand. Like I said that might not be implementable. Just thought I'd suggest it anyways ;)