xisto Community
Chesso

What Does And Doesn't Make A Christian?

Now that's more or less what I was thinking.I was sure the there was something in place to defeat this kind of behaviour lol.I'm by no means religious, and certainly have my own posions (nor do I blame anyone else for doing having them), but this took the cake for me.It's near as blunt and outright rubbish as a smoker claiming to not smoke.... >_>.

Taking a step back and looking at the guy, one starts to ask alot of questions--some to him, of course. If he calls himself a Christian, who is he serving anyway? Drinking, and smoking all serve himself, do they not? They all gratify the flesh, that is, make one feel good. A Chrisitian's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and look how he is taking care of it! Again, a Christian is supposed to be one that serves Christ. Jesus even said that the two highest commandments were to Love one's neighbor as oneself and everything else hinges on this as well as Loving God with all one's heart and soul. So you see there is a whole lot at stake here. If he loves his daughter, how can he even suggest she become a stripper? If he loves God, why doesn't he stop, or attempt to stop drinking, drugging and smoking?

By his actions, he is saying that he loves himself more than he loves God. By his actions he is serving himself, not God.

Applause! Very well put!

People who follow the bible and Jesus are Chirstians.
Those who take up the cross and follow the Master are true Chirstians.

In a very lose sense all who believe in Jesus are Chirstians.

Yes from the most objective point of view that is exactly what being Christian means. However we should not ignore a second more restrictive meaning that has also become rather important to a worldwide consensus of Christians. After all anyone can say they follow the Bible and follow Jesus. So the more restrictive meaning requires an acceptance of the decisions of the eccumenical councils of the fourth century and the teachings of the apostle Paul in his letters. According to this more restrictive definition, quite a few groups, like the Mormons and the Jehova Witness, who are Christian according to the more objective definition, are excluded.

Well Chesso, if this guy is like this then he isn't a true Christian. He may call himself one but he is not.

Since according to the teachings of apostle Paul, being Christian is not a matter of merit, I think of Christians as dogs begging at the masters table. A Christian church is a sinner's anonymous meeting, where the weak in spirit, who realizing that they are their own worst enemy, and who have given up trying to save themselves, now throw themselves upon the mercy of God. As such, it is not the place of any Christian to make such judgements as to who is a "true Christian" and who is not. I would say that a "true Christian" is someone who does not judge others. And yet, have I not just done this myself? The plain fact is, that we are all hypocrites and rather pathetic and worthless in some manner or other.

I hate to see this guy sitting around calling himself a christian with such disgusting beliefs and habits.

This seems to me to be a rather odd thing for you to say, for it suggests that you consider yourself a Christian. Otherwise why would you wish to defend the integrity of the name? I never got any impression, however, from the majority of your posts that you ever considered yourself to be a Christian.

If a man wants to destroy himself with bad habits, even such as myself, fine, but when it starts pushing it's way into anothers life is when I have a problem and apparently so does jesus.

This is the basic reality of life. Every parent, God included, strongly objects to their children's self destructive behavior. But the parent cannot live their child's life for them and ultimately they are free to destroy themselves if they choose. Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

There are other less direct words against drinking "strong drink". Also I might ad drinking alchoal with any degree of excess is not often a pleasent story.

Another reason not to drink alcohol is that the bible also makes it clear that our body is a temple and we should not harm it, alcohol harms our body thus it should not be consumed the same goes for smoking, drugs and anything else that can harm our body's .

Also to be a ture christian you have got to accept Christ into your life and to do that requires you to change your lifestyle, you cant stay the same scripture tells us that not all who call me LORD LORD will enter into the kingdom, because it requires a change in heart, soul and mind

But what does god and/or jesus consider to be harming ones body.Because technically just living itself (and every kind of action that derives from it) ends up in harm at some stage (just like alcohol, ciggarettes and illegal drugs).So it's kind of like yeah..... what to do lol.

Hi Chesso!The following applies for every son of God(John 1:10-12):Our body is harmed because is not glorified. Human makes sin. That must be paid with death. Jesus paid our sin when he passed away.Then when he comes, our body will be changed for one glorified.Death died if You follow Jesus. B)Blessings!

OK. Where does it say in the Bible (which is the basis for Christianity) that you can't drink? Christians are supposed to follow Christ's teachings, we're supposed to emulate him. And it says he drank wine. So how do you figure drinking is wrong? :P

The Lord said to Moses, "Speak to the Isralites and say to them: 'If a man or woman wants to make a special vow, a vow of seperation to the Lord as a Nazirite, he must abstain from wine and other fermented drink and must not drink vinegar made form wine or from other fermented drink.'"
Numbers 6:1-3

When you claim to be a Christian you are setting yourself apart form everyone else. This scripture says that in order to have this seperation you need to abstain from drinking.

There is also a Bible verse that is very clear in saying that we should not consume mixed alcoholic drinks. I am still looking for the verse to share with you.

To me the Bible is soo simple. :P

II Corinthians 6:14: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?(KJV)

It means that since most unbelievers drink wine, Christians should not.

It also means that Christians have to be totally different in lifestyle than unbelievers, although some seem good in God's sight but no. for...

Romans 1:17: For therein, is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.(KJV)

so being a christian is not by good works, although it is a part of it:

Matthew 5:16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.

but by faith. :P

--------------

note to evryone that it IS best being a Christian :P:P

and im one too :P:P

But it's not saying they should be different or opposite right? Cause what if all the unbelievers in a majoral fashion started being complete goody goodies lol.You'd have to be the mean people :blink:.

But it's not saying they should be different or opposite right? Cause what if all the unbelievers in a majoral fashion started being complete goody goodies lol.

You'd have to be the mean people :o.

Hello!

II Corinthians 6:14: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?(KJV)

Be ye not unequally yoked means to be different, not to be thesame.

Sadly, many Christians now violate this verse. :blink::D:o:D:o:angry::angry::):D:o:o:o:o:o:D:D

When you claim to be a Christian you are setting yourself apart form everyone else. This scripture says that in order to have this seperation you need to abstain from drinking.
There is also a Bible verse that is very clear in saying that we should not consume mixed alcoholic drinks. I am still looking for the verse to share with you.

This is simply not true. Being Christian is not about following some rules of food, drink, and clothing. It is about following the direction of the Lord in a personal relationship with Him. If He tells you not to drink then you should not drink. It is a basic fact that some people can handle alcohol better than others. If it is a problem for you then you should not do it. BUT IF IT IS A PROBLEM FOR YOUR BROTHER IN CHRIST then you still should not do it. Apostle Paul makes it quite clear that we have liberties in Christ but we should not take such liberties at the expence of our bretheren. Alcohol is not a sin, but the abuse of alcohol is a sin, and acting in pride such that one does not watch out for the well being of ones bretheren is a greater sin. Alcoholism reveals the nature of all sin, in its ability to bereft us of our free will and put our life into a downward spiral. Yes alcoholism is an illness, but the rest of sin is no different.

So a basic rule of thumb is, if you can handle your drink and remain the same responsible person you were before hand, it's ok for the most part?That's pretty much how I see these kinds of things, aside from the fact I don't follow anything like religion or anything like that.

So a basic rule of thumb is, if you can handle your drink and remain the same responsible person you were before hand, it's ok for the most part?
That's pretty much how I see these kinds of things, aside from the fact I don't follow anything like religion or anything like that.

For the record, I did not say any such thing nor do I see that as any kind of accurate summation of what I said.

Common sense is certainly applicable to this issue as it is applicable to many issues and so if your point is that God is not required for the use of prudence in these things then I will second your affirmation. However the fact is that people quite often do continue to drink even though they cannot "handle it" and even though they do not remain the same responsible person when they do so. This is in fact why many people turn to God in desperation, because they experience the fact that by themselves they do not have the ability to live up to their own ideals of what is sensible, but find that like the majority of people in this world they have the rather strong inclination to adjust their ideals to match their behavior in order to maintain a good feeling about themselves. Some people, however, to do not feel comfortable about following this inclination at all, seeing as this leads quite clearly in the direction of the long slow slide towards evil. Thus many people when confronted by God with a choice, rebel against this well established pattern of human behavior and decide that they would rather endure the ministrations of God at the price of repentance in order to reach out for the hope of being a better person than they might be otherwise. And the plain fact is that for a great majority of people this does seem to work well enough to be worth it.