xisto Community
WeaponX

Share Internet Using Router And Modem That Uses Usb?

Today I was trying to setup shared internet for someone and was having lots of problems with it. They are using AOL DSL and had their ISP's modem. They have a Linksys router (forgot what model...WRT something) and I tried almost everything I can think of to no avail.Here is the problem. The modem connects to the computer using USB ONLY. It has an ethernet adapter in the back of the modem but it will not work (needs the USB either way). After playing around more for over an hour, I came to some "conclusion" that the other machines need the modem to be connected via ethernet and not USB.Does anyone know how to make this setup work? The current computer is connected to the modem directly using USB. This computer will not be wireless. But they have a desktop and laptop that they do want to be wireless. Both computer wireless cards work since I had another setup upstairs and they can go online without a hitch there. Upstairs is using cable modem (ethernet) connected to another Linksys. No problem there.I want to add that I tried to make the locally connected computer to some kind of "gateway" and see if it will connect that way. But couldn't even get the other computers to ping its IP address. This computer also requires signing on AOL to access the internet. I have never seen DSL requiring this before, but that's how it was setup here. Not sure if they may play a part in this big mess.I just want to know if this USB connection can be causing the problem in case I meet another similar situation next time.Thanks.

Today I was trying to setup shared internet for someone and was having lots of problems with it. They are using AOL DSL and had their ISP's modem. They have a Linksys router (forgot what model...WRT something) and I tried almost everything I can think of to no avail.
Here is the problem. The modem connects to the computer using USB ONLY. It has an ethernet adapter in the back of the modem but it will not work (needs the USB either way). After playing around more for over an hour, I came to some "conclusion" that the other machines need the modem to be connected via ethernet and not USB.

Does anyone know how to make this setup work? The current computer is connected to the modem directly using USB. This computer will not be wireless. But they have a desktop and laptop that they do want to be wireless. Both computer wireless cards work since I had another setup upstairs and they can go online without a hitch there. Upstairs is using cable modem (ethernet) connected to another Linksys. No problem there.

I want to add that I tried to make the locally connected computer to some kind of "gateway" and see if it will connect that way. But couldn't even get the other computers to ping its IP address. This computer also requires signing on AOL to access the internet. I have never seen DSL requiring this before, but that's how it was setup here. Not sure if they may play a part in this big mess.

I just want to know if this USB connection can be causing the problem in case I meet another similar situation next time.

Thanks.

USB is not an issue. These is the step you need to do:
1. Check that the pc directly connected to the modem is working, let's call this the PC A. If not, you just need to make it work first, then proceed

2. Then you need to check that you can ping the PC A from the other pcs, the laptop and desktop. If you can't, then you need to check the router's settings like IPs, DNS and stuffs

3. Then if all those 2 above is working, you then can start sharing your internet. You have 2 option, one, enable internet sharing on PC A. This one is a bit tricky. Just go to the connection of your USB modem, then look under internet sharing, just enable it. I don't have a valid shareable connection to see, so can't show you the exact terms.

4. The second option is to bridge the 2 connection. The USB + LAN, just select the 2 then select bridge. This one might not be available all the time, but you can give it a try. After doing that, the IP of the 2 interface will become one.

5. If the above 2 still doesn't work out, you can try internet sharing program, but i don't really recommend. E.g. Wingate.

After you nail down your issue, then we can discuss further on it, it's easier to solve problem that way

Good Luck

1. PC 1 connects without any issues at all. It will connect perfectly if using the USB cable.2. Yep, I actually tried to do that initially. For some odd reason, I got the second PC to ping PC 1 without any problems at first. Then I played around with it more and couldn't ping it anymore. The problem still was that it couldn't go online. It couldn't ping outside (like yahoo.com).3. I think I know what you mean there. Are you actually referring to the file and printer sharing option in network properties? I don't recall ever needing to do this before (even in my home setup). It was pretty straight forward for most of the home networks I dealt with.4. I never did this before, but it's good to know. Will keep this in mind next time I encounter a similar situation.So to sum it up, it definitely can't be the USB connection causing this problem? I had my doubts because I just set up their wireless network upstairs (using cable modem...ethernet cable instead of USB) without much problems. How about the AOL login? Will this interfere with whether or not the other computers can connect to it? The user needs to sign into AOL to go online (on a DSL line...don't ask me, I usually see DSL lines that are on 24/7).

For (2), you'll need to get the other 2 pc to ping PC A, not outside IP. Solve this one first, then you move to teh next step. Try check the IP of all the PCs, make sure they're under the same subnet. Like 192.168.0.x. or 10.0.0.x. 192.168.0.x won't be able to communicate with 192.168.1.x because they're under a diff subnet.The main thing is that, in your home setup, your modem is a router type (with ethernet connection), thus the internet can be shared by just connecting the modem to the hub/switch. Where as the USB modem, you'll need to turn PC A into a router. Windows by default will not be a router unless you bridge the 2 connection, or do internet sharing. Then it start to behave a bit like router, thus the internet can then be shared to the other 2 PCs. Without this step, you can never access the internet from the other 2 pcs.

I think I got what you're saying now fault.lee. If I go back to their house, I will try the bridging method you mentioned. I'm sure that was the problem since I never dealt with this kind of setup before. Even my co-worker who I called for backup couldn't figure it out. We both knew that PC A has to act as some kind of gateway/router since it's connected via USB...just didn't know how. Until now ;)Thanks.

Today I was trying to setup shared internet for someone and was having lots of problems with it. They are using AOL DSL and had their ISP's modem. They have a Linksys router (forgot what model...WRT something) and I tried almost everything I can think of to no avail.
Here is the problem. The modem connects to the computer using USB ONLY. It has an ethernet adapter in the back of the modem but it will not work (needs the USB either way). After playing around more for over an hour, I came to some "conclusion" that the other machines need the modem to be connected via ethernet and not USB.

Does anyone know how to make this setup work? The current computer is connected to the modem directly using USB. This computer will not be wireless. But they have a desktop and laptop that they do want to be wireless. Both computer wireless cards work since I had another setup upstairs and they can go online without a hitch there. Upstairs is using cable modem (ethernet) connected to another Linksys. No problem there.

I want to add that I tried to make the locally connected computer to some kind of "gateway" and see if it will connect that way. But couldn't even get the other computers to ping its IP address. This computer also requires signing on AOL to access the internet. I have never seen DSL requiring this before, but that's how it was setup here. Not sure if they may play a part in this big mess.

I just want to know if this USB connection can be causing the problem in case I meet another similar situation next time.

Thanks.

I tried the same thing and it didn't work. The way to solve this is to use only ethernet cables to connect both computers from the router. Connect the cable modem to the router via ethernet cable. If a computer does not have an ethernet port, you must buy a ethernet usb adapter (which costs about 25 dollars) to connect the ethernet cable to the computer through the usb adapter.

Don't use usb cable from modem to computer directly because this will switch the ethernet port from the cable modem off.

Was just going to ask how to set it up with the cabling. faulty.lee, can you confirm that this does work though? If it does, how would I connect the cable? From computer (ethernet) to WAN port on router?

Was just going to ask how to set it up with the cabling. faulty.lee, can you confirm that this does work though? If it does, how would I connect the cable? From computer (ethernet) to WAN port on router?

Do you mind to list out all the connection available on each pc and network equipment, so i have a clearer idea of how it should goes together. For example, PC A - Ethernet, Cable Modem - USB & Ethernet, AP - Ethernet x 1 & Wifi, bla bla bla.

I was a bit confused on the exact setup. As mentioned by demolaynyc, AOL cable modem does have Ethernet connectivity, that would have save you a lot of time to setup.

I have had some hands on with this sort of situation. Something you can try if you have not already.

The USB should be a separate connection from the Ethernet. Meaning you should be able to connect a device to each or either.

If you are using a router as you mentioned, I would think that simply connecting the router to Ethernet port of the modem should do it. Then, connect any and all computers to the router via Ethernet.

The trick will be the configuration and port forwarding.

NOTE: The Linksys by default uses 192.168.1.1 as its LAN IP, you may need to change this to match, or change the modem. Just put the modem and router on the same subnet. Tis best if the are both 192.168.SAME.whatever

The modem can be configured as the Gateway for the router.
Most likely a LAN address of 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1).
For our example, lets assume it is the prior.

The WAN address of the modem is in no way a part of this puzzle.

The router should have a WAN address to mate with the LAN address of the modem.
Modem LAN = 192.168.0.1 Router WAN =192.168.0.2
So now the modem sees the router as a legal device on its LAN side

The router should have its gateway IP set to the modems LAN IP (192.168.0.1)
Now the router knows where the WAN/Internet is.

If the modem has a firewall or is using NAT, The modem should pass (In and out) all ports and communication to the router (192.168.0.2). Then use the routers firewall.

All computers are connected to the router via Ethernet/Wireless.

Now, here is the only part you will have to trial. If the router is set to use DHCP, which assigns addresses to all computers connected to it, everything should work. However if it does not, you may need to assign static addresses (192.168.0.3, 4, 5 so on) to each machine and experiement with the gateway IP setting on those machines. I think if the systems know the gateway is the router (192.168.0.2) this should work. However, You may need to tell each system the modem address (192.168.0.1) is the actual gateway. Thus the router will forward correctly to it.

Give this a try, and get back to me if ya like.
Edited by Dr. Moonglobe (see edit history)

I know connecting via ethernet will be a piece of cake, but that's exactly the problem. It will NOT connect using ethernet. I connected the modem directly to the first computer using ethernet and nothing. It won't allow the user to sign in. But once I plug in the USB (with or without ethernet), signing in is no problem.OK, here is what they had:PC 1 - connected to AOL modem (via USB, but also has ethernet port - but not sure if it works or how to make it work)...this PC will be connected via cablePC 2 and laptop - both of these will be connected wirelessly to the Linksys wireless router...both connected to another working router in the house already, but need them to connect to this AOL modem (via router)@Dr. Moonglobe: I'm not sure how to configure what you suggested because the modem itself does not have the LAN IP address (192.168.x.x). It has a public IP address shown when I did ipconfig on it.

I know connecting via ethernet will be a piece of cake, but that's exactly the problem. It will NOT connect using ethernet. I connected the modem directly to the first computer using ethernet and nothing. It won't allow the user to sign in. But once I plug in the USB (with or without ethernet), signing in is no problem.
OK, here is what they had:

PC 1 - connected to AOL modem (via USB, but also has ethernet port - but not sure if it works or how to make it work)...this PC will be connected via cable

PC 2 and laptop - both of these will be connected wirelessly to the Linksys wireless router...both connected to another working router in the house already, but need them to connect to this AOL modem (via router)

@Dr. Moonglobe: I'm not sure how to configure what you suggested because the modem itself does not have the LAN IP address (192.168.x.x). It has a public IP address shown when I did ipconfig on it.

So, for your current configuration, you just need to turn PC 1 into a router.
1. Enable internet sharing on PC 1 so share the Internet from the USB Modem to it's Ethernet Port
OR
2. Bridge the USB Modem with the Ethernet Port so all the traffic from either connection is link

by the way, using the ethernet connection on the modem is still the best choice. In this case, you can try reset the modem to factory setting. Most of this modem can work in 2 mode
1. Router mode, should be the default, where there's a IP for it, and you can access the webbased configuration of it via a browser. You can try 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2(mine is 10.0.0.2). Before you try that, you should make sure your own's ethernet's sub net is the same as the router's. Either that you can use teh DHCP so it will auto assign the IP to your PC
2. PPPoE mode, in this mode, the modem is simply a modem, same as per USB mode, the ethernet will not have any IP on it, and you need to use "Dial Up Connection" to make it work. Just add a dial up connection in the Network Connections, select "Connect to the Internet", then "Set up manually", then "Connect using a broadband.....", then just continue to key in those text boxes. Later, you should check that the "Phone Number" should be as per your ISP's VPI/VCI setting, which is "0,35" for my ISP.

If you can get PPPoE to work, then you can also connect to your router directly. Most router accept PPPoE modem as well, so you'll need to key in the login/password of your ISP in the router, not at the modem.

These might seems confusing. If you still have free time, you should try to make the ethernet work on the modem first, that will save you a lot of work. Plus, if you make PC 1 as a router, you need to keep it on all the time, :-p.

Well, good luck

Connecting internet to the upstiars PC using a USB modem with an ethernet connection downstairsShare Internet Using Router And Modem That Uses Usb?

My question is to fault.Lee. You have been solving a lot of queries and I really hope you can help with mine.I've recently moved from Tiscali to 02 Broadband and was given the 02 wireless box 2 as part of the package. This has been connected to the downstairs computer via ethernet with no problems. My problem is that I want to connect internet to the upstiars computer with a USB modem (Thompson Speedtouch 330) but this does not have an ethernet connection at the back and I do not want to use wireless. This USB modem used to work perfectly upstairs when I had Tiscali but whenever I try and set up 02 broadband upstairs it will not let me use this modem.Am I doing something wrong??? I am really confused and frustrated.Thanks for your help

-question by AAAA

connecting four computer in network Share Internet Using Router And Modem That Uses Usb?

I have a internet connection to my computer and I want connect to three another computer via a router to share the internet.

so how can I connect it?

if I connect it those internet speed will decrease?

and what other problem will I face?

I have a internet connection to my computer and I want connect to three another computer via a router to share the internet.so how can I connect it?if I connect it those internet speed will decrease?
and what other problem will I face?

We need some more info in order to give a really complete solution.
first of all we need to know some more things about your hardware.
Il your router currently providing the internet connection ?
How is your internet PC connected ? USB or wire ?
If the router is already providing the internet connection, and if it has some free Ethernet ports, you can simply plug the other PC's to the router.
If the router is not currently providing the internet connection, the PC connected to the Internet has to be also connected to the router, and the Internet PC can act as a proxy, with a private (free) proxy software like privoxy.

connecting wireless router to other computerShare Internet Using Router And Modem That Uses Usb?

I have a USB modem that I use for my system,and I share the connection through a switch to other 10 system. Now I wanted to share the connection to another systems without using the switch anymore so I decided to get a wireless router, in other to connect and use it as wireless in my office, I will like to know the procedure to follow in other to do the configuration on my server system.

And moreover I will like to  know how and the step to follow  to secure the wireless from being tapped by another person.  Please your quick response on this is highly appreciated

Thanks

Adex.