xisto Community
Chesso

Problem With Drag And Drop (or So It Seems).

I'm running on Windows XP with Service Pack 1.The last few days, all of a sudden, the drag and drop functionality of explorer (or anything on the operating system that uses system calls in order to perform it) screws up completely.I attempt to drag it, and it just flickers a bit to the direciton I'm moving it and then fails.It doesn't seem to be the mouse as I can still drag a rectangle selection to select multiple files etc, just no drag and drop.However, it isn't always like that, it works generally (as far as I know) and stop working out of nowhere, and then stops again.Even if I shutdown explorer itself and re-open it, it doesn't make it starts working again (when it stops).Does anyone know what might be doing on?The chances of a virus or something malicious on any level running on my pc is extremely low, but to be safe Iv'e just gotten AVG Free (I already ran a registry application and an Anti-Spyware tool) and am about to install , update and run it to be sure (on the off chance something managed to get onto it).

And I thought I wouldn't find a solution to this one but this could be what you need.

http://aumha.org/downloads/dragndropx.zip

http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php

Has repaired the very few cases of lost drag-and-drop ability weâve encountered so far in Windows XP, and has also worked in Windows 2000. Donât confuse this with the Win9x version â there are small differences in the Registry structures involved.

their might be some other patches with the drag and drop so search the site. Now I recommend contact theses guys and see what you have to do in order to patch this correctly and properly.

Thanks for the links saint-michael, I'll check them out soon after this virus scan finishes up, it's found some small things, mostly to do with IE it seems, which I don't even use meh.

Not a problem, also Not to get to much off topic but do you have spybot as well, it's free and effective should look into as well, could find stuff AVG hasn't. But if you already have disregard this post.

Edited by saint-michael (see edit history)

I used to use SpyBot and Ad-Aware, but spybot always bunged up alot with updating so I juse use Ad-Aware now and only install AVG when I need to scan (cause of the annoying services it runs 24/7, and if i shut em down it refuses to run saying blah blah is corrupted, even if there running again).

I think I know what is causing it.It was working, and then out of curiosity, I ran a game I have been developing the last few days, played around a bit, exited it and tryed to drag and drop and what do you know, it stopped working.But I'm confused as to how this could affect the OS, it certainly doesn't touch the registry :S.Who knows *shrugs*, but it seems to fix itself after awhile....

most likely the programming has caused glitch somewhere, you best bet would to debug your program and look at the code that controls the drag and drop function (thats if their is one). Then of course look at all the game files you have made as well and see if their is something you did close off in the coding.

Yeah I have sussed out the problem and fixed it, although it shouldn't have causes that kind of problem, I guess explorer just didn't like it and went a bit bonkers.Basically, when an objective of the level is complete, I call an UnInit function to free up all used objects and zero variables before proceeding.However the objective completion is checked within the Collision event for the main player sprite, and I can't free up the sprite while I'm in one of it's procedures for obvious reasons.I ended up remieding it by using a message and postmessage so I coudl exit the procedure before it calls my UnInit function to safely free up the used objects.This also solved some other minor problems and lead to motivating me to stick on and fix a few other things up, so I'm quite happy with the results :).

I had exactly the same symptoms.It turned out to be a sticking escape key.Check it out. Hold down the escape key and try and drag and drop.RegardsAiluro

Replying to FeedbackerBrilliant, Holmes! Having the same problem this morning, I was about to dive into the dark depths of registry editing when I read your post.A quick bash of the "Esc" key and bingo! Fixed.Thanks Ailuro - the path to regedit is paved with risk!Andrew.-reply by Andrew C

That fixed it!

Replying to iGuestThanks iGuest, I was looking for some fix for months that didn't involve a reboot. Clicking the Esc key a couple times then trying d&d again worked!

Worked for me, too!

The escape key trick worked for me, too. I was getting ready to reboot and decided to look for a better solution. Thanks!

-reply by DavidE

For months I have been randomly seeing drag/drop functionality stop.  I've searched and searched for a solution, but only found lots of stuff that didn't apply. I always had to reboot to fix it.

It just happend again, and another search turned up this thread.  A quick press/release of the ESC fixed the problem! No more reboots! 

Thanks!

-reply by Scott

drag and dropProblem With Drag And Drop (or So It Seems).

When I try to drag and drop, the mouse looks like it is dragging ok, until I try to drop, and nothing happens, the thing I tried to drag just pops back to where it was. I can't drag anything, anywhere. It just ignores me no matter how much I click! lol Well I am rubbish at computers. I keep trying to reboot. I installed a system support thing, and for a moment, that seemed to work. But then it stopped again! :'( Help please! 

-reply by Annika