xisto Community
Chesso

Age Of Empires II (Multi-player Over LAN)

We got bored and decided to whack it on for some old multi player fun against cpu's but I can't get multi-player to work, either can't see the room, or you can (but only from one end when creating on either) but it won't properly connect to the game.Right now I'm running Windows XP Home SP1 and he is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 (I think).Were hooked up through a Siemens Speedstream 4200 (from our ISP) for ADSL internet, it has both an Ethernet and a USB port, I use the Ethernet cable as it reaches longer into my room and my brother uses the USB cable port with the USB drivers.We actually also have a SpeedTouch 530, but end up with the same results.Now if I remember correctly, and set a static IP manually to both machine, it should work, however I attempted this and the net went bye-bye, which unfortunately won't always be practical.I tried port forwarding, but that's not much good when I can't port forward to both machines (it won't let me) and port forwarding to the router itself doesn't seem to do any good either.Oh and not sure if this is any use but normally my brothers machine is setup with 10.0.0.1 and mine with 10.0.0.2 (which AOE II recognises in the create a room portion of multi player) and sending files off across mIRC and such using these values is no problem at all.Why couldn't AOE II just let me specify the IP to connect to :).Oh and I also tried the over the internet option so I could specify the IP (I used the auto assigned 10.0.0.2 from his machine, as his is 10.0.0.1), but that failed aswell, didn't even detect a room on either side).Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't use a firewall :).I have a router in-built to the modem, but the games that don't work with it are 1 in a million, I'm surprised that all the AO series do not work with it, yet small time published games don't hiccup at all over it.

We got bored and decided to whack it on for some old multi player fun against cpu's but I can't get multi-player to work, either can't see the room, or you can (but only from one end when creating on either) but it won't properly connect to the game.
Right now I'm running Windows XP Home SP1 and he is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 (I think).

Were hooked up through a Siemens Speedstream 4200 (from our ISP) for ADSL internet, it has both an Ethernet and a USB port, I use the Ethernet cable as it reaches longer into my room and my brother uses the USB cable port with the USB drivers.

We actually also have a SpeedTouch 530, but end up with the same results.
Now if I remember correctly, and set a static IP manually to both machine, it should work, however I attempted this and the net went bye-bye, which unfortunately won't always be practical.

I tried port forwarding, but that's not much good when I can't port forward to both machines (it won't let me) and port forwarding to the router itself doesn't seem to do any good either.

Oh and not sure if this is any use but normally my brothers machine is setup with 10.0.0.1 and mine with 10.0.0.2 (which AOE II recognises in the create a room portion of multi player) and sending files off across mIRC and such using these values is no problem at all.

Why couldn't AOE II just let me specify the IP to connect to ;).

Oh and I also tried the over the internet option so I could specify the IP (I used the auto assigned 10.0.0.2 from his machine, as his is 10.0.0.1), but that failed aswell, didn't even detect a room on either side).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well ... I NEVER could play AOE II on multyplayer :/ ... Try checking cabbles , conection , firewall settings and try playing trough IP ( for example , you create the room , send the ip for your friend , he choses playing trough IP and voila! )... If you don't know your ip , check it at What is My ip

;)

HM-BRazil Owner, whatismyip.com won't work because he is trying to play on a LAN.Chesso did it actually work when you setup a static ip address for both computers? If it did then what i'd do is keep the static ips and try to get your net working. Check your modem/routers configuration page to see if there's any option of changing what ip the computers are running under or something like that. Also when you set static ips do you only lose the net on your computer or the other one too?If it's only your computer check the configuration under the ethernet section, if it's both check both ethernet and usb sections (if the config page has them of course).-HellFire

When setting up static ip's to play we lose the net entirely on both pc's as they are both connected to the same modem (with the in-built router).We basically have to re-setup both pc's to auto get it all instead of manual specification when we want the net back. Not a daunting or long task but anyway lol.

Hmm as far as I can see the easiest way to fix this is to change to a static ip and get the net to work somehow. But if that's impossible the only other advice i can give would be to check their site (if it's even still up) for any patches or documentation. If you have the latest patch you could try to actually run on the original unpatched version. If it still doesn't work check the readme or documentation.-HellFire

When setting up static ip's to play we lose the net entirely on both pc's as they are both connected to the same modem (with the in-built router).
We basically have to re-setup both pc's to auto get it all instead of manual specification when we want the net back. Not a daunting or long task but anyway lol.

You have to specify the gateway in each machine, using the router's IP.

Unable Join The Game

Age Of Empires II (Multi-player Over LAN)

I play using GamePark...

After the multiplayer game setting up... The "Unable Join The Game" message appears...

Why?

What should I do?

Thank's

-question by kendi_item

Port ForwardingAge Of Empires II (Multi-player Over LAN)

Ok well, I am trying to host a AOE-II party at my house over theinternet. I have port forwarded at the needed ports to the hostComputer. (the one hosting the game) Do I have to have all theComputers trying to join from the internet have the same portForwarding as well? I have tested this out with a friend from his houseAnd it appears I do, but has anyone else had anything different?

Thanks-reply by Baron

I don't have The Hamachi ip at The AOE3

when I start there was the ip of hamachi and now he for example :

whyy ?? :( 

make sure that Game is in the same Directory for both or more players, lets say "C:/Games/Aoe "(and better in C disc if you have more than one )hope it helps ( did for me ).

I have played qge of empires ii multiplayer alot without any issue. But my setup was a bit different than yours. In my case, my friend and i were in the same room and we didnt have any router. What we had was a cross ethernet cable; the one which is normally used to connect two pcs together and share work and data. This LAN connection was setup without any issues. The only thing we had to take care about was to make.sure that firewall on both pcs is allowing the game to use the LANconnection. And then it was extremely sifinimple and smooth. So if this setup is practically vible for you, then i would definitely recommend it to you.