xisto Community
ginginca

Bizarre Networking Issue

I have 3 PC's all XP, networked.All 3 have internet access and are part of the same work group.PC #1 can access shared folders on PC#2 and PC#3.PC #2 can only access shared folders on PC #1.PC #3 can only access shared folders on PC #1.PC #2 and 3 can't access shared folders on each other.Any thoughts?

Two more infos needed :1) What are the IP addresses of your 3 PC's ? Did you use the default (DHCP) settings ?
2) What are the netmask settings ? 255.255.255.0 ?

PC # 1: last 3 digits .101

PC # 2: 102

PC #3: 103

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I had a similar problem. This might not be the same as yours, but for whatever reason one computer on the network would not appear as part of the workgroup even though it was. To resolve it, I just typed "\\computer_name" in the address bar (windows explorer/internet explorer). That got me to the normal screen with files, printers, etc.If you want to set it up so you can access it more easily, go to My Network Places, and click Add a Network Place under Network Tasks (on the left). Follow the directions, select "Choose another network location", and for the network address type "\\computer_name\folder". The annoying thing is you can't link to "\\name", but you can just press Up in whatever folder you choose to access that page.

"\\computer_name\folder"

I have tried that.

But I'll try the IP address.

I have tried that.
But I'll try the IP address.

WOW the IP address works. Hmm.

Hey Gingica,Welcome to the world Of Windows Sharing ;*((Ive experinced the same bizare problems in the past with this!I think someone mentioned it earlier but the best thing to do now is..is if they are all connected..just make shortcuts to the diffenent pcs on the desktop and then you should be able at the click of a button arrive at pc2 or pc3 etc etc without any more hassle with putting ip addreesses in instead on machine names.Hey btw off topic did you get that game machine you bought for christams sorted out..I looked at the site that made that product and the instructions seemed very vauge? did you get it to connect and network in the end?Marky;)

WOW the IP address works. Hmm.

That's great ! So, now, we know that you only have a name resolution problem. This happens often, when a compter name is not propagated correctly to other ones.
Just for fun, verify that the PC names are correctly defined (it's in the computer properties, "computer name" folder).
I had this problem several times, usually my problem disapeared after re-installing Windows, which you probably don't want to do right now. I guess the phylosophical reason is that when installing a system, it's name must propagate to the other ones. If the other ones are are powered off, the name propagation does not work correctly.
There is an easy workaround to this problem. Just put computer name and IP iaddress of each computer in your local host file, which is on each computer somewhere (in my computer it's currently fully named "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" )
For each computer, one line per computer, the syntax is IP address followed by computer name. Put the same three lines on the hosts file of each one of your three computers, and the problem will disapear.

There is an easy workaround to this problem. Just put computer name and IP iaddress of each computer in your local host file, which is on each computer somewhere (in my computer it's currently fully named "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" )For each computer, one line per computer, the syntax is IP address followed by computer name. Put the same three lines on the hosts file of each one of your three computers, and the problem will disapear.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was thinking it was a problem with the router.

If the systems can ping, the router has no problem.
If the systems cannot ping, probably the PC local firewall is involved.
There are almost never problems coming really from the router.

Hi ginginca,
Check the OS.. I have seen incompatibility in windows OS, when you have a mixed version of windows OS.
Also, check the workgroup, if you do not have a NT server/ ADS server, then you are probably only interested in getting all the computers under the same workgroup.

You can get the workgroup properties set, on Windows XP.. by goin on Mycoumputers -> Properties _> Compute Name (tab) -> [Change] (button)
Look at 'workgroup name.. make sure they all have the same work group.. then reboot all the machines..