xisto Community
mitchellmckain

Problems With Zonealarm. Conflict with Earthlink DSL

I have just about had it with ZoneAlarm. It interferes with so much neccessary software. I have no doubt that if I just knew what software to make ZoneAlarm ignore it would solve some of my problems.The problem which has me fed up at the moment is my connectivity with Earthlink DSL. When I go long periods without internet traffic, the Earthlink DSL goes into some kind of sleeper mode and the ZoneAlarm prevents the signal that will wake it up again. So I have to shut down ZoneAlam in order to reactivate my internet connection, but turning Zone Alarm on and off is pretty time consuming.Any advice?

hmm looks like zone alarm blocks all calls from and to the internet after some time of inactivity.Theres an option in Zone Alarm for that, maybe you have set that option, by default it's off :/Open up ZoneAlarm and go to something like "program preferences" right under "firewall". (on the left)I'm sorry I'm using another language version and I can't set it to English to guide you through :/But once you find that tab, you can see the blocking optionThe tab I'm speaking about is on the left, once you click that you should see 2 more tabs in the upper right corner "program preferences" and "programs" (where you can edit the blocked programs)Click on the left of the 2 tabs in the upper right corner and turn the blocking option offHope you understand what I mean ;P

hmm looks like zone alarm blocks all calls from and to the internet after some time of inactivity.Theres an option in Zone Alarm for that, maybe you have set that option, by default it's off :/
Open up ZoneAlarm and go to something like "program preferences" right under "firewall". (on the left)
I'm sorry I'm using another language version and I can't set it to English to guide you through :/
But once you find that tab, you can see the blocking option
The tab I'm speaking about is on the left, once you click that you should see 2 more tabs in the upper right corner "program preferences" and "programs" (where you can edit the blocked programs)
Click on the left of the 2 tabs in the upper right corner and turn the blocking option off

Hope you understand what I mean ;P

That was a very reasonable theory. However, unless my copy of ZoneAlarm is corrupted, that is not what is happening. In the English version it is under Program Control, Main tab and it is called "Automatic Lock". Mine is disabled

And also look into your firewall history, look if something appears as "blocked".

You might find the it in the program control area. once you go there find out the exact program name. Then set the permission to allow and it will always automatically allow it.

Well I really need to wait until I get locked out again to try it, but I see a number of outgoing that are blocked with no program name given.

I already experienced that. If you turn ZoneAlarm off, connect to a site, and turn it on again, it seems to consider this remote site as a trusted one, so you have no more problem with it. Of course it has to be clarified later on looking at the logs.

It is possible that turning the Automatic lock on and then off again has cleared up the problem for since doing so I have had no more problems with my connectivity.

Oh well, I did hope so, but no dice. The problem did recur. And it does not pop up a blocked message in the alert log every time the connect attempt is made and the other recent blocked programs although outgoing were not given names.

Seems this is not due to blocked programs, but due to blocked sites. Isn't everytime the same host or the same domain blocked ?

I don't think so. After the connection fails I usualy close the browser and reopen so that it attempts to open my default page for which I use my ISP (Earthlink) homepage.

If you havn't many settings configured in Zonealarm, you might concider uninstalling and reinstalling it (also make sure teo delete the folder containing saved/backup info it it leaves one). It may help fix any initialization problems, or any settings which you may have accidentally misconfigured.

I agree with tommydanger. Go into ZoneAlarm->Program Control->Programs tab and either delete the entire list there or just delete the ones you blocked. Restart your computer and then go online. See if you can stay online for longer periods now...make sure you monitor what services/programs you block/allow during this time as well. This could be causing the problem.If that doesn't do the trick, go back to ZoneAlarm->Firewall->Zones tab and look for your network that's listed there. Make sure it's set to Trusted under the Zone column.

If you are behind a router a firewall is not 100% necessary. The windows firewall is almost sufficient for normal users as long as you are behind a router.There are several other free firewalls out there that can perform just as well. Try googling for some.Also, make sure you do have the latest version of zone alarm in case you have not upgraded in a while.