xisto Community
sujith

Finding Where A Site Is Hosted ? How to do it any service for that.

This link gives some detail information about where a website is located at.

http://whois.domaintools.com/

But why would you want to know where websites are hosting on? Althought I can fathom a guess, just call it curosity.

Just to know..I am curious to know which web hosts are used by warez/pirated sites and such.I have tried the link you have provided but it don't show you which host are used by the site.Any more ideas

Just to know..I am curious to know which web hosts are used by warez/pirated sites and such.I have tried the link you have provided but it don't show you which host are used by the site.Any more ideas

try dnsstuff.com

Gin

What exactly do you mean to ask by where is a web site hosted? The country?If you want to do that, use the site mentioned by ginginca.Follow these steps:1) Goto dnsstuff.com2) Write the domain name in the Ping form and ping the domain3) When you get the ping response, you will see the IP of the domain name.4) Then copy that IP and put it in City from IP form.There you go. Anyway, site cracks.am is located in UK.cracks.lomalka.ru is located in Amsterdam

Man I know how to find the location of the server using IP address but what I need is a way to find exactly which web host they are using.Most web hosts probably don't offer hosting to warez and such sites so I just want to know...where they are hosted ?

You should be able to figure out that by having a look at the nameservers used by that domain name. If the host's address is host.com, they will probably have ns1.host.com or something similar. For example, ns1.smth-host.com is also an option.

The link saint-michael gave you provides you with more detail, but might also provide you with the "end" provider, not necessarily the "real" one. Here's what I'm trying to say: if the host is just a reseller, http://whois.domaintools.com/ will give you the host THEY are using.

OK.I think looking at the name servers will work so I typed in https://www.neowin.net/ to the search box and got the page containing results in that...

There the name server is listed as fllows :

NS1.NEOWIN.NET

NS2.NEOWIN.NET

Does that mean it is hosted by them on thier servers it self?

http://whois.domaintools.com/neowin.net

Edited by knight17 (see edit history)

it means that they are either hosted by themselves or they are in a dns loop which mens that they have pointed those two nameservers of the domain to and ip and then set those nameservers as their default dns names, i do that it a bit more professional. The thing your a looking for is called a WHOIS search

WHOIS:

WHOIS databases contain nameserver, registrar, and in some cases, full contact information about a domain name. Each registrar must maintain a WHOIS database containing all contact information for the domains they 'host'. A central registry WHOIS database is maintained by the InterNIC. This database contains only registrar and nameserver information for all .com, .net and .org domains.

(quote taken from google) Edited by CrazyRob (see edit history)

OK.Now I understood what you guys are explaining.Thanks for the answers it was the way to find where a site was hosted.Just look at the name servers....simple
--

also note that some resellers can hide block some tracing so what i use sometimes was tracer route. the DNS only shows where the access of the address or domain will go after being redirected to the DNS server. the nameservers may also be pointing to a new DNS and this DNS may also be pointing to some DNS as well..

i have not tried yet the provided link but i am an advance user of DNSstuff, that website provides all the tools that you need to trace something..

In addition, I once also was looking where several websites were hosted, because I noticed someone was stealing my content, was making the same html copies of my website and putting them somewhere else, on other hosts and was adding his/her own ads.. I was finding these sites through google and was contacting his hosts, at first it was easy as it was always a subdomain, then he used uni.cc so I still traced the host and after that he even become more smart, due to he got hosted at Chinese website and I didn't understand how to contact the web host owner and gave up.. :)