sparkx

Quick Html! Three of the coolest scripts

Table of contents:

-Meta

-Cursor

-Icon

-Animated Title Bar (Must see!)

META

Meta tags is one of the most important things you need to know about programming. It truly will help you is more ways then you can imagine. First off you may be wondering what a meta tag is. A meta tag is a simple few lines of code that you put in the header of your document to describe it. If you do this correctly you can get search engines (including Google) to add your website. There are a few things you want to keep in mind when your making your meta tags. Make sure that you stay on topic about your website. Keep it easy so that any word/phrase that a person types may be found in your meta tag. Ok well I know by now if you what quick codes your thinking "just give me the code already" OK here it is.

DO NOT COPY AND PAST THIS EXACT CODE!

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META name="resource-type" content="document"><META name="audience" content="all"><META name="distribution" content="global"><META name="robots" content="INDEX, FOLLOW"><META name="revisit-after" content="1 days"><META name="description" content="Sparkx Studios Games of all types, we also have an awsome forum. Meet new people, submit your personal games, play other peoples games! At Sparkx Studios we like it when people have fun! Sparkx is a great place to play sparkx games. games game game sparkx"><META name="keywords" content="Games, bulletin, boards, fun games, meet new people, sparkx, Sparkx, sparkx studios, Sparkx Studios, ,Free games, Fun free games, Free online games, loads of games, submit your game, join forums, game planet, games for life, all types of games, rpg games,">
Ok the first few lines of code you don't need to mess around with (assuming you're not posting adult content). Now we get to about half way down you find:

<META name="revisit-after" content="1 days">
This is how often the search engine looks at your meta tags (in case you want to change a description). If you update your site daily put it to "1 days". But if you only update your site monthly or not to often put something like "20 days". If you just wanna try it out I suggest start around "10 days".

<META name="description" content="Sparkx Studios Games of all types, we also have an awsome forum. Meet new people, submit your personal games, play other peoples games! At Sparkx Studios we like it when people have fun! Sparkx is a great place to play sparkx games. games game game sparkx">
This is just an example of a game website called sparkx studios. Delete all that content and put in what your website is about. On Google this is the short description of your site.

<META name="keywords" content="Games, bulletin, boards, fun games, meet new people, sparkx, Sparkx, sparkx studios, Sparkx Studios, ,Free games, Fun free games, Free online games, loads of games, submit your game, join forums, game planet, games for life, all types of games, rpg games,">
This is the keyword. If someone types in any of the words above the site will be listed. Include "," comas in between phrases.

Cursors

This script will tell you how to set up you custom cursor! This is actually a quite small script.

First create or find an img on the web and download it. Name it as "cursor.cur" it must be a .cur file or this wont work. Now upload the img and in the same directory past this code into your header of your document.

<style><!--BODY{cursor:url("cursor.cur");}--></style>
Now if you want a really nice custom clock cursor, I have made a program to generate one for you. It uses some advanced mathematics and is an addition to a script by "Amy Cook". http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Icon

One of the coolest things you can do to your web-page is add an icon the the top (next to the URL) this is also displayed at the bottom on Windows computers. This site has one, it i the white check mark on a blue background.

Step 1:

Make an img (NOT TO DETAILED) it must be a 32 px (height and width) square.

Step 2:

Once you have made your "Simple" img save it as "favicon.ico" IT MUST BE NAMED THAT! If you cant save it as a .ico file just save it as a .gif and download (http://www.etrusoft.com/graphic-converter/index.htm) Easy graphic converter. Then just simply convert that .gif file to a .ico

Step 3:

Upload you img (not in any directories)

Step 4:

Insert this code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Animate Title Bar

I find this script one of the coolest out there. I recommend you try it. This is a script that animates your "title" of your document. For browsers that don't support this script it simply goes to a default "title".

A good example of this script in action is: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

OK now lets get started. Add the following script to the "head" of your document.

<title>This is default</title><script>	var titletext="Your Title Goes here!"	var thetext=""	var started=false	var step=0	var times=1	function welcometext()	{	  times--	  if (times==0)	  {		if (started==false)		{		  started = true;		  document.title = titletext;		  setTimeout("anim()",1);		}		thetext = titletext;	  }	}	function showstatustext(txt)	{	  thetext = txt;	  setTimeout("welcometext()",4000)	  times++	}	function anim()	{	  step++	  if (step==7) {step=1}	  if (step==1) {document.title='>==='+thetext+'===<'}	  if (step==2) {document.title='=>=='+thetext+'==<='}	  if (step==3) {document.title='>=>='+thetext+'=<=<'}	  if (step==4) {document.title='=>=>'+thetext+'<=<='}	  if (step==5) {document.title='==>='+thetext+'=<=='}	  if (step==6) {document.title='===>'+thetext+'<==='}	  setTimeout("anim()",200);	}if (document.title)window.onload=onload=welcometext</SCRIPT>
OK that probably looks like a mouthful at first. But the only thing you have to do is edit two things (unless your good). First Find:

<title>This is default</title>
Change this to the title you want if a browser doesn't support this script.

var titletext="Your Title Goes here!"
Change "Your Title Goes here!" to whatever you want your title to be.

Now only do this next part if you have confidence and you want to change the "arrows" around your title.

if (step==7) {step=1}	  if (step==1) {document.title='>==='+thetext+'===<'}	  if (step==2) {document.title='=>=='+thetext+'==<='}	  if (step==3) {document.title='>=>='+thetext+'=<=<'}	  if (step==4) {document.title='=>=>'+thetext+'<=<='}	  if (step==5) {document.title='==>='+thetext+'=<=='}	  if (step==6) {document.title='===>'+thetext+'<==='}
Without changing anything else change >=== to what you want. You can change any of the versions of >=== to what you want. Make sure you dont deleat the quotes! Example: you want to change >=== to ===< you would type in:

{document.title='===<'+thetext+'>==='}
This may be confusing but just look at it for a while and you will figure it out. When your changing the "frames" you should make sure that all 6 frames have the same number of characters (in this case 4). The characters show what will be in front of and behind the title on that "frame". If you donât want anything in front/behind just set that blank. If you would like to add a frame, insert this code under step 6 (change step== to the number it is. Example for frame 7:

if (step==7) {document.title='===>'+thetext+'<==='}
Now once that is done you MUST! Find:

if (step==7) {step=1}
and change step==7 to the number after your last step. Iâm sorry if Iâm confusing you, again just try stuff out. Iâm sure you will get it sooner or later. :P

More will come! So check back every once in a while.

~Sparkx~

I am pretty sure no one has posted about these topics yet.

If anything doesn't work please P.M. me thanks.

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

Meta tags are a simple option, but to me they simply state what the document is. They don't serve any visual aid. Also, the cursor to me hinders a website, especially when taken from a professional view. The animated title bar is not exactly HTML in the least bit, but I actually enjoyed seeing that javascript. I like the style and the animation effect.

The meta tag is probably a very important part of a website for grabbing in traffic from search engines. I know for sure that search engines uses the meta tags to help them key on that website and keywords that are stored in those meta tags. The rest of the other stuff are some accessories to the website I believe. I for one was interested and never knew about the icon on the url bar. PRobably because I never looked into it, but now that I know that is very cool and will probably use it in the future.