xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

An Article On Basics Of Western Classical Music Review please

OK. I just posted the first artilce on a planned series of articles that I thought I would put at my site that details on the basics of western classical music and sheet music.

URL: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Here is my request: If any of the members here are have knowledge of music, could just go through the article and bring to my notice if I have made any factual mistakes. And those members who do not have the knowledge of classical music, could you please go through it and let me know if it makes sense to you and if the article was clear enough for understanding purposes? I am not that sure on my writing skills, and I would revise it if you feel it requires some corrections.

Nice start to what I expect will be a worthwhile series of articles. I look forward to more.Where is the image of the Old McDonald's music sheet? At home on your piano, because I couldn't see it on your page.

hey Vyoma..Nice article well explained but i have a few errors for you...

Ok I have marked things that need to be deleted in red and my comments in green with the actual changes i think would sound better in English in blue..hope that makes sence..

"Western Classical Music has a very disciplined structure, and the music when composed is usually written on something called a Sheet Music. A piece of composition of Sheet Music does not strike much of an understanding to a layman

It would sound better written if you make it... A piece of music written onto a sheet would be rather confusing to a "layman".

It seems to be arbitrary scribblings on a few lines - but on the contrary it is a well structured written language in itself that lets the composer communicate to the musician or the instrument player easily.

"here are two basic things to be known that you need to know about a music if one needs to play it - the notes and the timings."

"Here, the notes are written in the order of the pitch belonging to a particular scale (we need not worry about scales now)."

"There is a lot more one would need to understand about the sheet music from the information given here"

"But at least now, you would be able to recognize few things from a piece of sheet music and not treat it as an artifact from an alien world."

Hopefully that will tidy it up a bit and sound better in "good" English :P

Hope it's ok?

Marky;)

Nice start to what I expect will be a worthwhile series of articles.

I look forward to more.

Where is the image of the Old McDonald's music sheet? At home on your piano, because I couldn't see it on your page.

I have hosted the images as ImageShack. There are three images in the article and all should be visible. The old mac donald piece is the last one:

This would state that, every bar has 4 beats in it. Now, before we look at the different notes, let us see how the 'Old MacDonald' tune would look, if we write it up in this:

Posted Image

That is about it. It packs all the information about notes and timings, and it is a standardized form. Now, you can give this piece to any musician - to almost any instrument player - and he or she would be able to play the tune of 'Old MacDonald'.

Can any else not see those images from ImageShack?

Mark, wowee! And lots of cookies to you. The changes you suggested really make the write up sound more humane - cause whenever I write it seems to come out a bit sterile.

About the images, I just created them in MSPaint, and uploaded to ImageShack and then am using it in the article. Please let me know if anyone cannot see it. There shoudl be three of them in the "Sheet Music" section of the article.

Okay, all is well. I went back and all three were there and looking pretty good, I might say.I could probably try to explain some things which might've been the cause of their absense yesterday, but I won't. :P

Maybe for some reason, the ImageShack servers were not available to you. I just cannot affort to put up those images at my site - I use ImageShack, in articles when I need to show pictures.