xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mariamb

Turbo Torrent Turbo Torrent

I'm not sure about that program you are using, you might want to try Azureus. It will have the same if not more and powerful features in the program you are already using in addition to some neat ease of use features plus it is java based so it works on all platforms.As a security note/reminder, you should always have a decent working and up to date antivirus program as well as a firewall. Whenever downloading anything from any form of p2p networking i'd be VERY careful about what i'm downloading, i can't risk an infection.-HellFire

Hmmm... security issue over p2p sharing. I did not think about that.I just downloaded the torrent files for Ubuntu and Suse and they were clean. I used BitTorrent to download them, it finished Ubuntu (only one CD), but the other one is still in progress (5 CDs).I do have Symantec Antivirus installed. Now is there anything you suggest I do with my firewall settings?

I have the web browser Operah, which is able to download torrents without other programs..

I have downlowad the Azurues.
But I'm having problem with "Incoming TCP Listen Port". What should I put in there?

Also if you use Azereus you have the option to Encrypt ALL of your traffic :P jsut look in the security tab inside the options menu...makes it EVEN harder for someone to mess with you :P

It doesn't really help here... If there's a virus you get it encrypted, nothiong more. The encryption has been implemented in Azureus and ÂľTorrent and few other Torrent clients just to go around ISP traffic scanning and limiting programs. I have to use it to get torrent traffic though.

The security issues with p2p networks is mainly just people sharing infected files. There is a lot of talk about how p2p is dangerous etc. and I bet a lot of the rumours have been started with RIAA, MLPA or other anti-p2p organizations. Just pay attention from what kind of sites you get your torrents and you'll be fine. And don't forget to scan the files and for CD images like Linux distros, check the MD5 checksums!! That's the easiest way to make sure you get the real deal and also saves you from the burning a disc from a corrupted image.

It doesn't really help here... If there's a virus you get it encrypted, nothiong more. The encryption has been implemented in Azureus and ÂľTorrent and few other Torrent clients just to go around ISP traffic scanning and limiting programs. I have to use it to get torrent traffic though. The security issues with p2p networks is mainly just people sharing infected files. There is a lot of talk about how p2p is dangerous etc. and I bet a lot of the rumours have been started with RIAA, MLPA or other anti-p2p organizations. Just pay attention from what kind of sites you get your torrents and you'll be fine. And don't forget to scan the files and for CD images like Linux distros, check the MD5 checksums!! That's the easiest way to make sure you get the real deal and also saves you from the burning a disc from a corrupted image.

one thing to add if to look for suspicious looking files.. like downloading an iso or zip version of MSoffice as backup.. there are alot of those around the web.

note that average size of a MS office installer is around 350mb. most people share one for 2mb max of 5mb which are viruses if you check them using anvitirus.. AVG for me saved me alot from this type of tricks..

---------

and i admit i have downloaded ISO of MS products since i have the serials but my installer CDs got broken [leaking roof] due to being wet.. MS wont send me a replacement installer but says i can borrow installers..

Anyone know how to use turbo torrent to download file?
I tried so many time but still cannot.
It always appear [Error during setup] or [Could not start download]

I have never used Turbo Torrent before, but I personally use Azereus for downloading torrents and I think its great, cant beat the speed

Hmmm. Then downloading from trusted sources like Ubuntu and SuSe should hopefully not be a problem. I have finished downloading the CD images and it does not seem to be infected by any virus. I have even burnt the Ubuntu ISO image onto disc. Is it safe to try and boot that disc?

Hmmm. Then downloading from trusted sources like Ubuntu and SuSe should hopefully not be a problem. I have finished downloading the CD images and it does not seem to be infected by any virus. I have even burnt the Ubuntu ISO image onto disc. Is it safe to try and boot that disc?

Yes Vyoma. I'm sure the files you downloaded aren't viruses. Most of the times as vhortex was mentioning, there will be virus files having the same name as your intended files but will be much smaller in size. You can check the size of your ISO file. It'll wekll above 150MB. Even I've doanloaded Ubuntu and burnt it. I'm using it too.... It is perfectly fine. (I didn't even bother about safety.... I had Norton Antivirus installed in my machine though). So go ahead and use it!

yes i agree..it should be safe..more and more companies are using torrents to allow users to download big files in this way..Knoppix is also available for torrent download..its better overall for the company cos they upload it and then others seed it..therefore they are not takign a huge BW hit when a new release comes out for instance...

Bad files and virus and trojans normally come from pirate copies of software or cracks for pirate software..

I myself have seen a few bad problems caused by somone using a pirate copy of Dreamweaver then searching for a crack for it on a torrent page ...then he downloaded a few of them and double clicked on all of them to try to get the right code...one of them worked so he forgot about it and carried on working...

His pc was actually a bot at that point...one of those key cracks had installed some real nasty remote control software..logged him into a secure IRC channel and someone was in control of his pc...all because he didnt have decent anti virus running such as AVG Virus...

I use AVG and when downloading torrents it automatically scans the file u have downloaded as soon as it is finished and gives you a warning if its infected..my rule is...if it catches anything dont bother repairing it..just delete the file!! cos theres bound to be more parts of nasty stuff in the rest of the files....

I use Piratebay a lot for my torrents and I must say they are one of the best sites for torrents and theres very little bad torrents on there with nasty stuff piggybacking what you think is a good file...

Also I talked about encyrtion earlier on in the thread.....erm yes this is very important to me..
Its not about hiding your data etc...its all about how torrent data is dealt with at your ISP

Most ISPS block the default ports of torrent software..we all know that...but did you know they have took it to another level and have started analysign packet headers too? with the encryption options on in Azerueus it makes it impossible for them to know its a torrent in the packet :P))))

SO you get a faster more reliable transfer..and the ISP is not sniffing your packets :P))

Heres a list of ISP (not complete) that have been reported to use packet sniffing and shaping on your connection...

HERE

Good luck and keep on peer to peering :P

to add to what SP Rao said..

i do have also UBUNTU boot disc, UBUNTU installer bootable..

Susie bootdisc, Susie installer Bootable..

Mandrake Bootable disc.. no installer..

--------

I have bart CD.. Boot Magic.. And a working XP system on CD.. no installation needed..

I got those on ISO from torrents.. you can easily know what is inside an ISO it is was really an ISO.. download any file that can extract ISO files.. I have power archiver..

Then after that.. scan the files.. if the ISO is for linux.. try to scan that using linux scanners.. they may be much more accurate.. the one you must be carefull was files with filename.ISO.exe or filename.ISO.com or even filename.ISO.dll.... those are viruses.

for dos mode booting CD's [for repair cd images].. it is better to build yourself.. it is just 10mb anyway and such a waste of CD plus the image cannot be read since the booting sectors are hidden to windows.. those booting sectors have the drive A: floopy image loaded only on boot up..

be carefull with that types of ISO.. we dont know what it contains.. =) cheers..