xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
in2computers

Lock Workstation Shortcut How to make a shortcut to lock your windows computer

1) Right click on desktop and select add new shortcut2) In the 'Type Location of the item:' box type or copy %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation then click 'next'3) In the 'Type a name for this shortcut:' box type or copy "Lock Workstation" and click 'Finish'4) Now if you would like go to properties and Change Icon browse to: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe and I use the red circle with the white x

1) Right click on desktop and select add new shortcut2) In the 'Type Location of the item:' box type or copy %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation then click 'next'
3) In the 'Type a name for this shortcut:' box type or copy "Lock Workstation" and click 'Finish'
4) Now if you would like go to properties and Change Icon browse to: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe and I use the red circle with the white x

That's cool. Normally I lock my workstation with Windows Key+L as it is usually faster. But, what the heck! I added it to my desktop! :P Anyways, if you wanted something better than the red X icon, SHELL32.dll in the system32 folder has a padlock icon and the logout icon which would work. But it is a personal preference!

[N]F

wow, I have been using Windows XP all this time since 2002 and I thought the easiest way was CTRL+ALT+DEL then Lock Computer...wow, thanks nightfox, now u just my day better on Windows, however, it still doesn't beat Linux and with it's customization.On my Linux system, lock is CTRL+SHIFT+L.xboxrulz

But the Windows key+L is alot faster, plus it's one less icon on your desktop. Maybe you like a lot of icons on there, i find it too cluttered. The less the better.

if you are running on a novell network, or have novell client installed on your computer, locking the computer so really easy! all you have to do is press CTRL + ALT + DEL then when the dialog comes up, press ENTER! i think this is the same as what xboxrulz said cause you can do the same thing on windows 2k and xp

thanks night fox..Windows Key + L is the fastest and probably better than having a shortcut icon...I can add my info.. incase you widh to shut down from command prompt..'tsshutdn'regards

HDD Problem

Lock Workstation Shortcut

WHAT KIND OF PROCESS you FLOW TO CHECK A HDD WHEN THE SYSTEM IS HANGED WHEN IT IS WORKING?

-reply by rana

Excellent!

Although WindowsKey+L May be the fastest way to lock your computer, here at work I am using an IBM ThinkPad T41, and anyone who has one knows... There IS no start key. So the shortcut is, as a result, the fastest way now!

Excellent, Thanks!

You are all of course right.... Except if you are working remotely!

Hi,

Just to say thanks muchly for this post as this is solving a big problem I was having with a server... I can access my clients servers remotely and do, but some of the services require the machine is locked not logged off or shut down, otherwise the backups won't run.

You can't lock an RDP session using WINDOWS+L or the Ctrl Alt Del, as they will affect your local machine only :)

With this solution you can lock a remote computer, meaning I don't have to go to the office to do it! Fantastic, so simple, but so useful.

Ian.

RPD sessionLock Workstation Shortcut

Hi all this command would be usefull if you are running a batch file so for example.

you want a user to autologon... Install an application and lock the dektop.

If you want to do ctrl + Alt + Del commands from an RDP session you can use ctrl + alt + end and that will send the command remotely ;-) hope this helps!

-reply by Shaun J

Locked ComputersLock Workstation Shortcut

I only lock my computers to show off any fancy users I have on my Domain Controller (if they are logged into them), such as 'LUCYIANNAMORELLI' or 'NATASHAHAMILTON'. Securitywise, it can be bypassed easily and it doesn't truly lock the computer. 

-reply by Nihal

PerfectLock Workstation Shortcut

I have a Win7 laptop/tablet convertible and locking the unit in tablet mode has been a pain. I knew there was a command to do it but couldn't remember. Thanks for the tip and I like the padlock icon better, more intuitive :-)

-reply by Tron78