xisto Community
vujsa

Handy PHP.com A PHP Resource Website

Damn. I do not get points for this, do I?

You are in the "no post count" section. So, brief answers because get no points, or long answers because you like the subject and you want be helpful and you are not only motivated by earning points :P Edited by yordan (see edit history)

You are in the "no post count" section. So, brief answers because get no points, or long answers because you like the subject and you want be helpful and you are not only motivated by earning points :P

I am aware of that yordan. It was... what does one say... "pun intended"?

I am aware of that yordan. It was... what does one say... "pun intended"?

You seemed to have a hard time coming up with the right word...

amusing, blithe, capering, clever, comic, comical, droll, dry, fanciful, farcical, flip*, flippant, frivolous, funny, gay, humorous, indecorous, ironic, irreverent, jesting, jocose, jocular, joking, joshing, laughable, ludicrous, merry, not serious, playful, pleasant, punning, ridiculous, salty, sarcastic, satirical, smart, sportive, sprightly, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, wisecracking, witty, wry

Anyhow, thanks for all of the input. I've tried to implement some of the suggestions given to me by everyone in this topic. The site banner still needs to be redesigned but I modified it slightly to give it a little more color. Seems to be a little less boring now.

I still have a few tweeks I need to perform here and there but I think things are looking better now.

So I've changed things a bit and I hope everyone will stop by and take another look and let me know what I made better and what I made worse.

Handy PHP

Thanks a lot everyone.

vujsa

You seemed to have a hard time coming up with the right word...Anyhow, thanks for all of the input. I've tried to implement some of the suggestions given to me by everyone in this topic. The site banner still needs to be redesigned but I modified it slightly to give it a little more color. Seems to be a little less boring now.

I still have a few tweeks I need to perform here and there but I think things are looking better now.

So I've changed things a bit and I hope everyone will stop by and take another look and let me know what I made better and what I made worse.

Handy PHP.com

Thanks a lot everyone.

vujsa

And I do not know why my friends call me the word-weaver. :P
:P
Anyway, now your site looks much better. You need to do something about your banner. The grained look does not go along with the techy theme - kind of looks earthly and .... carpet? But yes, you did say you will be working on it, so it is fine.
And that "Website under development" hurts the eye, but I think that is what it is intended to do - you would be removing it as soon as you are done with it.

But other than that. You have done a pretty good job. :P The site is quite pleasant, and it lets me resize fonts to my wish. I really like when sites allow for that.

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm pointed in the right direction now.The "Under Construction" banner is really just to deter people from copying my content until I finish the legal statement which is a real pain in the butt considering I'm not a lawyer. But I have found a couple of really good "Terms Of Service" notices from some major websites which I am using as inspiration. I guess I don't really need a TOS since people will do whatever they want in the end but it will let my visitors know what it is that I will won't allow on my website. From that point, it is up to them whether or not they do the right thing!I'm planning on doing a few more PHP functions and a couple of tutorials before I really begin promoting my site heavily. I figure if I can get my website listed a few times on 2 or 3 highly ranked websites it will really help my traffic. Basically, I'll submit my tutorials and functions to websites that index such material. Most of these websites have a page ranking of over 5 so it should help in the end.Right now my traffic consists of Xisto members reading this post and reviewing my website and a couple of hits from people researching my domain name.I hope to get some decent advertising soon. Probably Google Adsense and Amazon. Since Amazon offer such a lerge selection of PHP books and other website related publishings, it may do well in the end for me. The only problem is the difficulty involved in trying to add dynamic ads to Joomla. I think that there are a couple of modules now that make the process easier but they weren't written for content targeting options.I think I'll stop in over at Xisto where they seem to have a bunch of graphic design freaks around and ask for ideas for a site logo which I can base the site banner and a favicon on. Of course, it won't hurt to have my website address posted a couple of times over there as well.The only other promotional item I'll work on is a new signature image. Probably a dynamically generated series of signature images with stats from the website like the number of tutorials or functions.Now for one further question of all of you. Is there anything that you feel that the website should have that it currently does not have now?Thank you for your input.vujsa

I like the look and feel, and the way the menus help you navigating, mainly the leftmost toolbar is self-explanatory enough.I also like the colour set, comfortable for my eyes.And, of course, thanks for all these quite a lot free php scripts !RegardsYordan

I like the look and feel, and the way the menus help you navigating, mainly the leftmost toolbar is self-explanatory enough.I also like the colour set, comfortable for my eyes.
And, of course, thanks for all these quite a lot free php scripts !
Regards
Yordan

Yeah, I got a lot of complaints for the previous template set. I wish I had time to develop more of those free scripts! I have about 4 requests pending right now for free Joomla SearchBots. I just haven't had the time to develop them yet. They aren't hard for me to write but it takes a lot of time to write the database queries since that is the main part of the script. They used to be a lot easier for me to write before I added a bunch of features to them which requires a variable query string.

I also need time to find and list resources for all webmasters. I offer a number of tutorials, functions, scripts but I still need to offer a decent link index and articles that help webmasters beyond the realm of PHP. Another section that I need to develop better is the "unasked" question system. I had started analyzing each of the search engine queries for my website trying to find new topics to discuss. I get the search engine hits that don't actually match any content on my website but is obviously related enough to get Google to send the user to me! I had hoped that I could try and figure out that the user was looking for and write an article that would have answered their question.

Other than that, I know that I have a few dead links that I need to fix after my last big upgrade. Not only did I upgrade Joomla, I upgraded to a different but based on the same forum system. As a result, some of the links to articles in the forum no longer work since the forum component is different now.

If anyone else as any input let me know.

vujsa

Hey vusja!, I just voted for your site in that "Best site" thread, and mine even has a mention haha ;).Oh and I might as well place my opinion here also, basically I think the site could "look" less cluttered.For example, the polling and options, as well as the small bits like "resource menu", "login", "who's online" etc could perhaps do with some spacing, I know it might put the pages length up a bit, but I think the content seperation even with just those small things may help, well it couldn't hurt to test it out if you haven't already at least.

Thanks for you comment. I appreciate your vote, I didn't even realize my site had been added to the poll.I took your advice and added a little more spacing between the content on the website. I think it does actually help with the overall appearance of the website but has caused a couple of layout flaws as a result. I think I can correct them by developing a new module or two to replace the modules affected.Thanks again,vujsa