xisto Community
lorenza pietersen

Does God Exist?

I believe in God (Christian), but it seems that whether are different gods, it just turns out the same. gods asks us to give certain offerings, be morally upright, and to be basically good. Religion is hardest to explain because there is this little gap-filler called faith. Faith requires you to believe without doubt, making it even harder to understand.Anyways, I think religion is just there to explain things that science can't.

God is comforting, born of our need to pretend that when we die we continue to exist. But what is comforting and what is true are two different things. When someone sees design in the world around them, and they reject the scientific explanation for these designs, it is clearly so that they can pretend that these are evidence of a designer, and that there must be a god, and that there is a comforting afterlife to look forward to. The reason there is such a big debate between science and religion, is not because science is wrong: it's because the current religions have such a flimsy back story, written by men thousand of years ago, that like witches / elves / unicorns / magic - and all the other figments of the primitive ages - science reveals them for what they are - and those who wish to draw comfort in religion fight it because they are terrified by the new light shone upon their comforting religion.Remember the Egyptians believed in their gods, just as fanatically as anybody believes in their god today. You think they were wrong. But what about the Africans and the native Indians, the Hindus, Buddhists, The Romans, The Greeks, The Aztecs, The Gauls, and they all believed in there gods or explanation just as you believe in yours. And once everyone's forgotten about your religion, and they are on to the next one, your religion joins the above list as all religions will eventually do, once they go defunct. Were all the people who believed these religions wrong? I doubt it. They were all equally valid, made up to comfort the people, and believed just as strongly.So if you want something comforting, why don't you just make up something that fits with science, and then you wouldn't have to make a fool of yourself debating about science being wrong every time science accidentally swipes the legs from under your small god.You should take up astronomy... find out how vast the universe is... how ancient... and you would see that there is no god in the words of man that compares to the magnificence of the universe in all its natural beauty, nor does it need a god, it just is.

SCIENCE IS IGNORANTHuman have a very very very limited brain. Our capacity to process the nature of God is impossible, like an ant can't understand human businesses, human can't understand God. You only have to wait for his mercy, thats what I do, and that is what works for me.

I don't see scientists running around blowing themselves up in trains and planes... I don't see scientists burning Harry Potter books because it's got witchcraft in it... I've never heard of scientists hunting innocent old ladies and then drowning them in the river to see if they were a witch... I've never heard of quantum physicists mounting holy crusades against classical physicists... I've never heard of scientists do anything other than do their job. Religion is ignorant. There have been more wars and death and blood at the hands of religion than anything else in this world, and you have the cheek to say that science is ignorant? Religion isn't just ignorant; it encourages ignorance... it encourages people to hand over their money to an institution in exchange for something that doesn't really exist, and holds people back. And right now religion is whimpering like a dog while science takes a torch to the dark mysterious caverns of religion... revealing them to be utterly empty. I'm a Hindu, and an atheist. I don't need to attack science because, quite frankly, if religion depends on ignorance - then I would much rather be a heathen, and at least see the universe for what it is, in all its true magnificence.
Edited by PhilosophiX (see edit history)

Posted Image

https://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

Obviously no one is going to point to the picture above and say, that was designed by god. Because we all know it wasn't - it was evolved - inside a computer. It's part of an artificial evolution study. Evolution works - clearly - and is capable of producing all the complicated structures and organs that creationists want to believe are proof of design.

Below is an ultra efficient antenna that NASA evolved.

Posted Image

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Clearly evolution works, and needs no designer.

Edited by PhilosophiX (see edit history)

I was once Christian, and as such, at that time, I believed in God and Jesus. However, as I grew older, my faith started to disappear. Hearing about the big bang theory of creation was the first blow to my belief in god, though I still had a lot of belief left of him. Eventually I stopped going to church not long after I stopped believing in him. I am now agnostic and almost entirely atheist, and though there are small remnants of my belief in god left in my mind, most are gone. Therefor, I do not believe in god or think he exists.

God exists as long as you believe it in. To extend that, anything can exist for you as long as you believe in it. So, who is your god?

It is really as simple as that.

Whether or not god exists for you or anyone else should be no issue; everyone is entitled to what he or she believes in. What is unfair is taking your belief system in forcing it down other people's throats. Does your god teach you to disrespect other people's beliefs? No matter who your god is, be it the Chriatian god, or if your god is Science, they tell you otherwise.

Here then starts the subjective part of this post.

I personally believe that whether or not god exists, it should not matter for me. I try to live my life knowing that if I screw up, no deity is there to rescue me from the hole I dug myself into. Believing the someone (or something) is there, watching you, assisting you, and saving you---it is very comforting; but I think that in the end, people can and should only depend on themselves, instead of idling around waiting for happenstance. I prefer to take action. I prefer to take matters in my own hands and do something to fix the problem.

It is the same with religion---do we really need religion to be good? Paraphrasing Einstein, wouldn't it be sad if people only do what is right because they are promised a reward after they die? What kind of a society are we in if that was the case? No. I do not believe that. Religion, I think, is only a guide, nothing more. And choosing whether you want to be in a religion or otherwise is just analogous to whether you want someone to guide you and help you get to whatever direction they are going, or you prefer to follow your own moral compass and go your own way.

Edited by altimit (see edit history)

Of corse God exists!!! Even sciece proves it! For evolutionists, the Big Bang theory describes how the universe was created. There's only one major problem with that... It conflicts with Newtons Laws!!! Energy cannot be created or destroyed!!! How could the universe come from nothing??? There had to be something there for the energy to create an explosion!!! God created the earth in six days and on the seventh he rested.. Evolution is also completely impractical.. We most definately did not come from apes! If we did evolve from apes and it took millions of years to do so, then where are the fossils of the species in between the evolutions? Nine of the twelve popularly supposed hominids are actually extinct apes and not part human at all! Also, the final three supposed hominids put forth by evolutionists are actually modern human beings and not part ape at all. Therefore, all twelve of the supposed hominids can be explained as being either fully ape or fully modern human but not as something in between.
What about the giraffe? It would have been impossible for any creature to evolve into the giraffe! Since the giraffe's heart is so much bigger than it's head, there is a complex valve system in it's neck that would have had to of been in place in its "earlier evolution." The attatched photo shows what would happen if a giraffe attempted to drink water with an evolving valve system in its neck.(Caution: Graphic Picture PETA Members maynot want to view picture!)
So if thats not enough to convince any evolutionists out there that God really does exist, I suggest reading the Bible and praying because your gunna need it... ^_^ Here are some verses from the book of Genesis:

Genesis 1:1-2:3- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morningâthe first day. And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morningâthe second day. And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good. Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morningâthe third day. And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. God made two great lightsâthe greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morningâthe fourth day. And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening, and there was morningâthe fifth day. And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the groundâeverything that has the breath of life in itâI give every green plant for food." And it was so. God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morningâthe sixth day.Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Remember your very very young age when you started discovering the world. Think about the oldest time possible of your life after you were born. From then, go ahead slowly and think about all the various incidents in your life (good or bad..) Just remember and feel those moments.Think about the technology and the changes which took place around you. Think about how people grew around you.Do this till you reach this present moment while you are reading this very text on your screen.Close your eyes and ask yourself, From the day of my birth to this present day, Everything around ME has changed (including your body & your mind). But there is one thing that has not changed yet... The observer inside you. The observer who remains unchanged in times of anger, depression, happiness etc. Who is at peace all the time regardless of your emotional state. I define this silent observer as God, who is neither good nor bad. He is the only ONE. He is out of the natures dual matrix of Yes/No, True/False, Right/Wrong...- All the books we read are mystic literatures who are trying to get you to know this observer, So different people will give you different paths to reach the One. Everyone is unique and will have his own path to realize the one. -

Stop putting remarks on each other and arguing about religion. We are talking if God exists and end up fighting who is right and wrong.Who/What is the One?I have explained it in previous post.What is religion?Its a guide to reach the one.Then, Why do you need so many different religions? Because, Each part of earth is different with different habitat. With the changing habitat, We need a much more optimized guide so that you can reach your destination quickly. The journey to the ONE we talk about is not an easy task. It requires a great deal of personal discipline, a good physical and mental health and a good nature. Why stress on good nature?Everything you have done till now leaves imprints in your head. An imprint which you regard as good will give you joy & enthusiasm whereas bad actions (things which you define as bad) will leave bad imprints. These things will repeat inside your head again and again. You know this. :-) I am a Hindu and these deeds are defined as Karma. I request everyone that before you post in this topic, do read your holy book, without any assumptions. I have told you the basics. Each book has its own style of introducing you to this basic truth.For for all those people who still consider God as an external entity outside your body who lives external to you... You are wrong. Science has failed and so shall you in this search for God.

God doesn't exist.Everything about religion sounds rediculous and illogical.

The bible in itself is full of contradictions and it makes it impossible to follow.

True, its filled with contradictions Because Life itself is soo complex and we are soo complex. How many times have you contradicted something which you had decided. (eg. new year resolutions.. ^_^ )

They fall under the category of mystic literatures and they should not be deciphered word by word. Its a book for you to guide you. The message it might teach to your collegue might be way different than what it told you:)

-Shree

Wow, I should have expected that this would be a long thread. Before I get onto the actual topic of 'does god exist?', a couple of points.To everyone here who has mentioned evolution / Darwinism, has ANYONE actually read Charles Darwins Origin of Species paper? I'm in the process of reading it just because I wanted to see what the man himself thought. Interestingly one of his remarks was that while he believed that the thoery of evolution explained a lot that was not previously understood, but that it did not explain everything. Before people jump up and down and go "see, evolution doesn't work", one such example is the concept of mutation. From my understanding mutation was a concept add to biology after Darwin's time. You can see in Darwin's paper remarks at this concept, but he didn't understand what it was that allowed species to skip ahead sometimes. For those who have claimed that there is no evidence of the transitional state creatures as shown by evolution:1. Firstly, read my first comment again2. Take your hand and touch your face. You are now touching one of those transitional creatures. There are no fixed states in evolution. Thats what evolution is!!!! It's always changing!!!JUST BECAUSE WE DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMETHING HAPPENS, DOESN'T MEAN THAT THERE ISN'T A REASON.I think no, God does not exist. I think there may be something/ some event that started everything, but I do not know what. I do not think there is some guy with a white beard (or a guy with a pitchfork) waiting for me when I die. Humans are a scared species that has just enough brains to be dangerous. What humans do not understand, they fear. I think finding a reason for something strange is just a natural reaction to things we don't understand. How else do you explain multiple religions around the world which really have no bearing on each other (Christian, Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Australian Aboriginals, Incas). Common themes in religions are birth, death, the creation of the world, natural phenonena (lightning, floods etc.). They sometime have positive aspects, such as perhaps a closer community aspect, but they must also take blame for countless deaths in history as well.For as much as we think we (humans) know, there is still mountains of concepts that we are yet to wrap our stupid heads around. I have seen comments to the effect of "it's easier to understand god created humans rather than that some rock changed into a single celled organism". I'm afraid that if people were to not ask hard questions like these, we would still think the world is flat.Lastly, I appologise if I have offended anyone. This was not my intent. I simply get frustrated when people start talking about things they do not understand ;)