xisto Community
yeh

Discrepancy In Opening Saved Webpages In Internet Explorer Can open saved webpages in cybercafe but not at home

Hi.. I downloaded some webpages from the net from the cybercafe. Saved it in my USB flash disk. Tested it in the cybercafe since I experienced the same problem before. Could open it. Brought it back home and there is an error with the saved pages. Not that the whole page could not open... just the hover function not working properly. When the mouse hovers above certain pictures, some info suppose to come up but it can't when I tried it at home using internet explorer. And yes, I downloaded it using internet explorer as well in the various cybercafes. I am using Windows XP SP2 as my OS.Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? Thanx..

Are you downloading web pages ? For instance html pages ? Then, don't you think some of the downloaded pages referenced "local" pages, which resides on the cybercafe PC local files or in the cybercafe PC cache ?By the way, before removing the USB flash disk from the cybercafe PC, did you open Crosoft Windows Explorer and right-click "eject" on the USB flash disk folder in order to flush the disk cache ?

By the way, before removing the USB flash disk from the cybercafe PC, did you open Crosoft Windows Explorer and right-click "eject" on the USB flash disk folder in order to flush the disk cache ?

Yes, I did that, religiously, every single time I remove my USB flash disk.

Are you downloading web pages ? For instance html pages ? Then, don't you think some of the downloaded pages referenced "local" pages, which resides on the cybercafe PC local files or in the cybercafe PC cache ?

Yup... I'm downloading html pages.. Ok, so how do I know whether those downloaded pages are referencing other local pages on the cybercafe computer? Not all the downloaded pages have the problem. Only some pages have that hover problem So, how do I overcome this "local pages" thingy?

I whould say, the bist thing would be to open the html file using a very basic editor, like notepad, and look at each reference, to see if it refers to a local disk. Normally, each file should be a local file, you could see in the current directory. If you see an absolute path like c:\myfile or /myfoler/myfile, this would be probably the faulty file, look if this file exists, else look if it's possible to workararound that.

Also you need to copy the folders which are created to store the additional scripts images etc. when you save any page. These folders will have the content to display the imgae.You may try using any of the freeware to download the page. It will download the complete page including the scripts etc...There are many freewares available online...All the best....

the best program I ever used for this was Teleport Pro...its very good and bringing the whole site down..even you can download the sites its linking too...watch out u dont set it to deep in the links tho...takes ages and you end up with loads of sites you didnt want

Thanx for all the suggestions. :)

Unfortunately, he is working from a cybercafe. In such places, you cannot install the tools you wish.

Yup, that is correct, yordan. So, is there a program out there that do not need installation and would solve my problem?

I whould say, the bist thing would be to open the html file using a very basic editor, like notepad, and look at each reference, to see if it refers to a local disk. Normally, each file should be a local file, you could see in the current directory. If you see an absolute path like c:\myfile or /myfoler/myfile, this would be probably the faulty file, look if this file exists, else look if it's possible to workararound that.

Yup.. in fact, I did open the html file using notepad. Thought i know some programming, so maybe I could fix it. Haha... that document has tonnes of lines and I'm just too lazy to go through all of it. However, your suggestion that it may refer to some wrong absolute path might just solve the problem. Like I have said earlier, I download those pages in a cybercafe and saved them in my USB flash drive. And I forgot to mention this. I brought back the USB flash drive and I cut and paste those pages into my hard disk. So maybe the scripts are still referring to F: drive, that is my USB drive? Is there such a possibility?

I'm guessing that the page uses an external JavaScript file which wouldn't be downloaded with the rest of the page. IT works from the same computer off of the flash because the HTML page is just requesting the external file from over the internet. There really isn't a very good solution for this problem because in order to get this to work on an offline system, you also need to save the JS files and edit the HTML files to look in the right place for the JS file on your local drive (Flash Drive).

Are you trying to mimic the effect or just trying to do some offline browsing?

This seems like a lot of trouble to me, I think you may want to consider getting a home connection. There are some free services availible but are dial-up if you look around.

has a 10 free hours a month program if you have phone access to them.

Hope This Helps. :)

... just the hover function not working properly.

What Browser did you use in the Cybercafe and what Browser are you trying to look at the files with at home? Internet Explorer uses the alt= tag to display some on-hover information whereas FF and Opera use the title= information on-hover. Would this be the case?
Also, IE on-hover only works for anchor tags (without javascript), so is the missing on-hover an anchor tag?.
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Thanx for all the suggestions. :)Vujsa, you're right. It is a lot of trouble. I do have internet connection at home. It is dial-up though. I wanted to get broadband but there seems to be some complication. The phone line is in someone else's name and it is quite a hassle to get him to agree. Ok, after reading the suggestions yesterday, I decided to have a look again at the source of the webpages using notepad. Well, since this time I kinda have an idea what to look for... I managed to fix the problem. Hurrah!! :) I think vujsa right, about the html pages requesting an external resource. I went into the source and deleted those banner ads. And everything worked perfectly after that.. :DNow, is there a way to prevent this kind of problems in the future? I am actually just saving these html pages for offline browsing at home. Hehe... I'm a very lazy person and don't feel like looking at the source and deleting ads every time. So, any suggestions?