xisto Community
austiniskoge

Is There An Open-source Fontographer?

Is there a program out there that is similar in nature and features to Fontographer?I would like to make my own fonts and edit old ones... however, the software package that contains Fontographer is much too expensive for my budget...If there is an open source version (any kind of freeware, actually) of this program, please provide me with the link.I am becoming more and more despondent in my search.Thanks :)

Maybe you could have a look here : en-US/

FontForge -- An outline font editor that lets you create your own postscript, truetype, opentype, cid-keyed, multi-master, cff, svg and bitmap (bdf, FON, NFNT) fonts, or edit existing ones. Also lets you convert one format to another. FontForge has support for many macintosh font formats.
FontForge's user interface has been localized for: (English), Russian, Japanese, French, Italian, Spanish, Vietnamese

Also look here : https://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%2oogle&meta=

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I could've done that too...

haha. anyway. The one on Sourceforge looks pretty cool, but is definitely a beta version.

Of course, I could always use a DIY way like this.

I love those hidden things. Not that it's like an Easter Egg or something, just that nobody would've known except for someone who spread it around.

-EDIT-

Okay, I checked it out fully, and to run that FontForge thing, you need all kinds of Windows->Unix converting junk. I'm not even sure what... I just gave up after I read that.

Still on the search!

Edited by austiniskoge (see edit history)

I don't know if you can get anything better than FontForge for free... it's very good app with about 6 years of development... also CygWin - the thing you refer - isn't as hard to install, you just download small exe installer and follow simple instruction that you can find in many places... also on FontForge page... if note check related tools on bottom...

Yeah, but I need every MB i can get for my other projects... I don't want any extra junk. Audacity already plagues me with that.Plus, my internet computer is not my graphics/audio computer, which means I'd have to transfer the files to my other computer by flash drive... BIG pain.I might end up using this, but I'm on the lookout for something simpler.

FontCreatorIs There An Open-source Fontographer?

You could use FontCreator.  It has a 30 day free trial and then $79 for a licence.  It is good value for the price and you can try it out at no cost.

-reply by John *person*

Regarding FontForgeIs There An Open-source Fontographer?

I tried FontForge on an Ubuntu 8.10 (Linux) system about a year ago, sometime around the middle of 2009, and, regrettably, had to uninstall it because it was too buggy.  The copy I had was obtained from the Ubuntu software repository and wasn't the "bleeding edge" version, but was supposedly compatible with the Linux kernel for the version of Ubuntu on my machine.  It was one of very few Open Source programs that I've run across that would cause memory corruption so severe that the operating system would hang or go unstable.  This serious deficiency made the program unusable for my purposes.

I have no experience with the program on anything except Linux, so I can't say if it works any better or worse on Windows or Mac operating systems, and I haven't installed a later version of Ubuntu and FontForge since then to see if the problems have been fixed.

-reply by Phil Cooper

I hated fontforge because of i needed to install a whole bunch of other things onto my system that just wasn't needed.I'd like a program to create my fonts, and just have to install that one program for free. Is that really too much to ask for?

I am using linux and most of the linux based softwares are open source or atleast free in nature. I am not sure if this is what you want but you can try some of the softwares in linux side. There are chances that these softwares are likely to be in cross platform mode and available for your version of linux. Fontforge is possible to run under linux but some of the members here hate fontforge so maybe you can try some other version of the font creator. My suggestion is to check out some of the font creator software that are capable to run under windows xp. Then use those softwares under wine in linux if you're using linux. Most of the time old windows versions softwares are easy to find and you have plenty of such options for fontforge on alternative.to website. That is the site I usually use for finding the alternative softwares.